Price on Bodywork

-

scuba0331

Reaction score
I am about to get some prices on body work. Currently, I know I need patch panels on both lower quarters. I have new/use front fender to replace the originals.

What do you think it will cost to have this work done plus a paint job?

This is for a 1974 Duster,

Right now you have no idea what is under the paint that is on there ,right.The replacing of the fenders is no big deal but does cost.If you do it the right way using proper chemicals and body shop material and labout cost,3-5 grand,and you put it back together.You will see that the material and paint is about 1000-1300 for the low budget paint.The rest is labour,and when 2-3 people are working 8 hour days on your car,depending on the dead line and the repairs,that you did not know about,it gets up there real quick.I know,I run a small repair and body shop/goodyear center,.If you want straight,really straight mirror glass finish,be willing to fork out some good cash,mrmopartech

I am about to get some prices on body work. Currently, I know I need patch panels on both lower quarters. I have new/use front fender to replace the originals.

What do you think it will cost to have this work done plus a paint job?

This is for a 1974 Duster,

Geeez... I just had my `68 Barracuda done last winter. I had the lower half of the quarters installed and a ton of small dents taken out. Painted the jambs, engine compartment, and the exterior, plus all the interior sheetmetal for around the rear window and the interior sides. Damn close to $10K.... but that's New York. I've heard of guys paying anywhere from $4k and up past what I paid. It's a matter of what you start with, and where you want to end up.

The old addage about horsepower applies to paint & polish:

How nice you want it = How much you spend

Are you doing the tearing the car down, removing glass/trim, any of the old paint removal?? Who is putting the car back together?? What are your expectations for the completed job, ie driver or show car??

Best way to approach is to look at previous work done by the shop or individual .....and get the prices for those jobs. The cheapest is not always the best option in paint/body work. In turn, you dont have to fork out $15,000 grand for a show car finish, depends on who does the work

I can't afford to pay that kind of money on my 74 Duster so I bought a welder and learned to do it myself in my driveway. I replaced one rear quarter a couple of weeks ago and did the other a few months ago. I do drive the car to work everyday so I have to start my large tasks on a friday night so I can get it in primer by monday. The work is not currently perfect, but it is pretty good and it will be perfect before I paint it.

If this is an option for you, you might consider it. It will save you a fortune, you can hold the work to YOUR standards and it is nice to say the you did it all yourself.

Thanks for the information! I do need to get the car down to the bare metal to really see what is underneath. But, at least I have and idea of what it will cost.
340Dart - I will probably attempt to do some of the body work on my own. I figure if I do it wroing I can grind it off the patch panel and start over! It wouldn't be the first time I've something more then once!!!

I really want to paint the car myself. But, I'm concerned the EPA police may get all over me for painting in my garage. I thought that maybe I could use a "water based" paint. But, I don't know if that would eliviate the issue either.
Thanks,

You can build a home paint booth for next to nothing.Go to:wwwbigblockdart.com and check out the body shop section and how to build a booth and how to have NO fumes for the neighbors to complain about,mrmopartech

It realy is up to and your cash flow and how much elbo grease you want to put in.I do know dont buy your panels from year one !! unless your good with a welder also how is your trunk exstensions to the lower quarters
72 demon

72Demon from what I can see I think I only need the bottom part of the quarter behind the tire. Everything else appears to be solid. Though I may have a surprise once I strip the car down to the metal!

You can build a home paint booth for next to nothing.Go to:wwwbigblockdart.com and check out the body shop section and how to build a booth and how to have NO fumes for the neighbors to complain about,mrmopartech

Wouldn't happen to have a link would you?

OK, what if you do most of the body work yourself and all they have to do is touch up your work and just spray it with paint, how much then....as a guess?

It really doesnt matter who you buy your panels from. They are all stamped by the same company right now.

-
Back