Project 78

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
These pics are from 2001 when I drug it out of the weeds and muck.

Story behind this truck.

My grandfather ordered it new in 1978. Originally was supposed to have a 400 4 speed, however, it was late in the year and they called him about 3 weeks prior to delivery and said hey, we’re out of 400s, would you take a 360 instead if we refund you some money and knock some more off. He accepted.

Anyway, this would be the farm truck until 1988 when it overheated and cracked the passenger side head. 81,000 miles on it. Anyway, my uncle and my grandfather tore it down in May of 1988. I was just over a year old and walking. Somehow, I managed to ingest mineral spirits used to clean the thing. Spent 2 weeks in ICU.
My grandfather would take delivery the following fall on a ram 350 Cummins and this thing got parked. Until I found an interest in it in 2001 on spring break. We tore down the carb, rebuilt it and the dizzy and she ran just fine. I played with it for a few years here and there but decided I wanted to do a full resto on it. But didn’t have the skills. So enter the dart, which was my practice canvas. Now however, it’s time for this thing while the dart is at the stripper next month and then off to paint.

@toolmanmike can you move this to the restoration sub forum please?

IMG_1363.jpeg

IMG_1360.jpeg

IMG_1359.jpeg

IMG_1358.jpeg

IMG_1357.jpeg

IMG_1356.jpeg

IMG_1355.jpeg

IMG_1354.jpeg

IMG_1353.jpeg

IMG_1352.jpeg

These pics are from 2001 when I drug it out of the weeds and muck.

Story behind this truck.

My grandfather ordered it new in 1978. Originally was supposed to have a 400 4 speed, however, it was late in the year and they called him about 3 weeks prior to delivery and said hey, we’re out of 400s, would you take a 360 instead if we refund you some money and knock some more off. He accepted.

Anyway, this would be the farm truck until 1988 when it overheated and cracked the passenger side head. 81,000 miles on it. Anyway, my uncle and my grandfather tore it down in May of 1988. I was just over a year old and walking. Somehow, I managed to ingest mineral spirits used to clean the thing. Spent 2 weeks in ICU.
My grandfather would take delivery the following fall on a ram 350 Cummins and this thing got parked. Until I found an interest in it in 2001 on spring break. We tore down the carb, rebuilt it and the dizzy and she ran just fine. I played with it for a few years here and there but decided I wanted to do a full resto on it. But didn’t have the skills. So enter the dart, which was my practice canvas. Now however, it’s time for this thing while the dart is at the stripper next month and then off to paint.

@toolmanmike can you move this to the restoration sub forum please?

View attachment 1716124095

View attachment 1716124096

View attachment 1716124097

View attachment 1716124098

View attachment 1716124099

View attachment 1716124100

View attachment 1716124101

View attachment 1716124102

View attachment 1716124103

View attachment 1716124104
THat wasn't too bad. ANd I didn't mess it up.

My 7 year old loves this truck and decided he wanted to help so we pulled the engine today and see what we have to start with.

A bit of surface rust but I think a dingle ball hone may get it.

IMG_1329.jpeg

IMG_1330.jpeg

IMG_1331.jpeg

IMG_1337.jpeg

IMG_1334.jpeg

IMG_1333.jpeg

IMG_1335.jpeg

Gotta luv it! I had a 79 4x4 Power Wagon and a 78 4x4 truck as well. Sure miss them.

Adventure, pretty truck new.
Yep. Plan is since rust is at a minimum here, just some in the floor boards, I’m gonna get new floor pans from LMC truck and weld in. Then restore it as close to new as I can. Back in 2011, I found a rust free bed for it at the Mopar Nats and hauled it home. Need to find the trim yet as most of my trim is missing or bent.

I added the cab clearance lights in 2001, can’t decide if I want to leave those or take them off and weld up the roof. Also, I gotta find a new windshield as mine has gone milky

Yep. Plan is since rust is at a minimum here, just some in the floor boards, I’m gonna get new floor pans from LMC truck and weld in. Then restore it as close to new as I can. Back in 2011, I found a rust free bed for it at the Mopar Nats and hauled it home. Need to find the trim yet as most of my trim is missing or bent.
I know a guy in OH that parts nothing but Dodge trucks out, he will have the trim.

I know a guy in OH that parts nothing but Dodge trucks out, he will have the trim.
I’ll have to take you up on that. I have 95 percent of what I need

Last edited:
Good to see you and your helper in action.:thumbsup:
Thanks! He’s had a rough summer but he’s truly my buddy. What happened was a shame but hoping this will help be somewhat therapeutic for him. He’s been after me for a long while to get it going.

My 7 year old loves this truck and decided he wanted to help so we pulled the engine today and see what we have to start with.

A bit of surface rust but I think a dingle ball hone may get it.

View attachment 1716124105

View attachment 1716124106

View attachment 1716124107

View attachment 1716124108

View attachment 1716124112

View attachment 1716124113

View attachment 1716124114
It appears that it already has 0.030" over pistons!! Did your dad rebuild the engine somewhere along the way or these factory?

It appears that it already has 0.030" over pistons!! Did your dad rebuild the engine somewhere along the way or these factory?
My grandfather rebuilt it in 1988, bored decked, supposedly offset ground according to the paperwork from the now out of business Hoosier Parts Machining but with Rusty’s post above, I’m not so sure about the off set grinding.

Anyone know if the rims back then would be powder coated or painted white?

I’m assuming painted

Although powder coating was a mid-forties invention, I don't think it was widely used by American car manufacturers back in 1978.

Although powder coating was a mid-forties invention, I don't think it was widely used by American car manufacturers back in 1978.
Didn’t think so either.

Spent the afternoon cleaning out the bed that had become a storage unit of misc crap over the last 15 years. Finding parts I didn’t know I had and was actually looking to buy yesterday at the Nats but luckily I didn’t.

While I did that, I left my son to cleaning the oil passages and coolant passages. Cylinders all cleaned up well except for number 6, may try to dingle ball just that one. Just barely some roughness at BDC on that one.

IMG_1520.jpeg

IMG_1523.jpeg

IMG_1521.jpeg

@RustyRatRod think these cylinders will be okay with just a dingle ball hone?
Maybe. I sure would measure them good. One at the top, in the center and at the bottom to see not only total wear, but also taper. How does the ridge look? I see it's already .030, so maybe they're still in decent shape.

Dang solid lookin project too. I love your helper!

Maybe. I sure would measure them good. One at the top, in the center and at the bottom to see not only total wear, but also taper. How does the ridge look? I see it's already .030, so maybe they're still in decent shape.
No ridge at all. Had some light carbon but that cleaned up with a scotch brite pad and some atf. Engine only had 1176 miles on it since the rebuild. Just been sitting for a LONG time

My grandfather rebuilt it in 1988, bored decked, supposedly offset ground according to the paperwork from the now out of business Hoosier Parts Machining but with Rusty’s post above, I’m not so sure about the off set grinding.
You never know. Maybe they did it to raise compression some. How far up in the bores do the pistons come at TDC? That would be a dead giveaway. If they are "around" .100" in the hole...... .060 to maybe a max of .120 it's stock. If they are higher than that, it might be offset ground. It was a popular way to gain compression in an otherwise stock engine.

-
Back