Project 78

-
No ridge at all. Had some light carbon but that cleaned up with a scotch brite pad and some atf. Engine only had 1176 miles on it since the rebuild. Just been sitting for a LONG time
I'd probably run hell out of it. It's a truck motor after all.

You never know. Maybe they did it to raise compression some. How far up in the bores do the pistons come at TDC? That would be a dead giveaway. If they are "around" .100" in the hole...... .060 to maybe a max of .120 it's stock. If they are higher than that, it might be offset ground. It was a popular way to gain compression in an otherwise stock engine.
.068 the center of the piston.

The last stock late 70s truck 360 I had a part, the factory pistons were .160 down the hole,

.068 the center of the piston.

The last stock late 70s truck 360 I had a part, the factory pistons were .160 down the hole,
That's not what we're lookin for. The deck clearance will be from the deck to the TALLEST part of the piston. In other words the NON DISHED part.

Honestly though. I’m not concerned one way or the other. At this stage with stock heads, I really am limited by those so not much point is upgrading for what i need this truck to do

Honestly though. I’m not concerned one way or the other. At this stage with stock heads, I really am limited by those so not much point is upgrading for what i need this truck to do
I get it. From the sound of it though, they might have offset ground the crank for more compression. If the dish is .060 below the deck at TDC, it's a possibility.

I get it. From the sound of it though, they might have offset ground the crank for more compression. If the dish is .060 below the deck at TDC, it's a possibility.
Very possible. But sadly, the three involved that would know for sure, are all with the Lord somewhere

So it’s .0675 to the top of the piston from the deck. From the deck to middle of piston is .0145

IMG_1534.jpeg

IMG_1533.jpeg

So photo dump. Last week I found as close to perfect tailgate just sitting in a junkyard. Rust free, only one tiny dent on the bottom. Latches work, especially now that I hit them with wd40. 100 bucks and it just so happens to be the adventurer SE prospector package, which my truck is. Which means it has the trim pegs in the correct location to match

Yesterday off went the ugly campershell, even the kids got in on it and swept out the bed. today, off came the bed. Cab maybe tomorrow or Monday. Weather depending. Then going to spend the evenings stripping the frame and eventually rust proofing and painting high gloss black.

Did I mention my son loves this truck?!?

IMG_2439.jpeg

IMG_2443.jpeg

IMG_2459.jpeg

IMG_2542.jpeg

IMG_2545.jpeg

IMG_2561.jpeg

IMG_2563.jpeg

IMG_2564.jpeg

IMG_2562.jpeg

I also have a plow set up for one.
There’s a plug I found that I’ve never noticed or seen before today. I’ll get a pic tomorrow, hoping you might know what it’s for.

My little buddy and I decided to clean out the cab and get ready to lift it off the frame. Lots rust in the drivers and passenger front floor pans. A couple smaller spots at the rear of the cab but underneath looks solid as does the rockers.

Everything is now unbolted and the cab is ready to lift. Once I decide how I wanna do that haha

IMG_2906.jpeg

IMG_2910.jpeg

IMG_2911.jpeg

IMG_2912.jpeg

IMG_2914.jpeg

IMG_2915.jpeg

IMG_2916.jpeg

So my truck has this trim piece as you can see. Nothing really wrong with it but I got an idea this morning and decided to experiment. I’ve got a bunch of barn wood from our old barn. Where this truck has spent its entire life. So I decided to see if I could turn this chunk of barn wood down thin enough, 3/8th , without cracking this 150 yr old oak.

Turned out pretty good. Now to figure out the rest of the plan to get it to mount and look good later on when I’m at that point

IMG_2913.jpeg

IMG_2960.jpeg

IMG_2959.jpeg

Pressure washed 46 years worth of grease and mud out of the the chassis today. Tomorrow is final stripping (gonna yank the axles and transmission) and then blasting . Followed by por15 and paint later this week.

IMG_3736.jpeg

-
Back