Project Riddler's Ride - 1976 Plymouth Duster

-
Just an update....

I bought myself a welder since it doesn't seem like my brother in law is interested in coming to help finish. I still have a few more things to purchase, like cart, mask and bottle but I should be welding soon. I plan to practise a bit and hopefully take a night school welding course.

I should be getting my fuel tank tomorrow from Tincup and the surprise parts from Ross.

Stay tuned.

Riddler

Did you get the package I sent you.....I forgot if I asked already or not.

I sent it out weeks ago.

thats a hell of a thing to ask a border guard.....

at least you didn't ask...did you get the stuff?

So first and foremost I need to thank Ross (76orangewagon) and Micheal (tincup) for the parts that I've picked up today from my US shipping address. I'll be getting to that very soon.

First I want to show off my welder. It's setup for flux core right now until I can afford to pony up for a bottle of argon.
IMG_1104.jpg

Now onto the new parts. I loved the new fender/front rad support covers Ross made and he offered to send me a pair. Thank you Ross. These are going to work out great!
IMG_1103.jpg

Finally my fuel tank has been finished and shipped to me. Micheal and Eric did an amazing job on this tank. It's perfect! The welds are clean and the extra's I asked for were spot on. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

FYI - shipping folded over the covers slightly, nothing I can't straighten though.

IMG_1106.jpg

Here's the filler tube with vent.
IMG_1107.jpg

Here's the access panel.
IMG_1108.jpg

What's under the access panel?
IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

Well I'm super excited to cut the trunk floor out and get this tank installed. But I know I need to practise welding before I weld in 1" strips of metal to help strengthen the floor.

Riddler

pretty nice stuff....you just might get one of them there.....A-wards... yet

Hopefully one day. I'll need to practise welding alot to get an A-ward! LOL

I'm hopefully gonna be working in the garage next week to get the trans crossmember done so I can move the car around.

Riddler

Now that you you have the tools and parts I guess that means we'll start seeing lots of progress and pics.

It's been a while since I've posted but I've been working on the car here and there with small updates and purchases. I've been working on the Peaks Dashes and working on getting it to fit perfect. Takes alot of time.

Today I found time this afternoon to cut the trunk floor out my car and install the fuel tank.

Here's the marking lines.
IMG_1323.jpg

Here's the trunk floor cut out.
IMG_1324.jpg

Finally the fuel tank installed in the car. I just have to get some sheet metal screws or nuts and bolts. I'm leaning towards nuts and bolts.
IMG_1325.jpg

Here's the view through the filler door opening to the tank. Looks like a good fit.
IMG_1327.jpg

More updates soon, I hope. :)

Riddler

Nothing I care to show off yet. I'm having a hell of a time getting everything to line up well. I'm about to bolt the dash frame into the car and try like that instead of on the work bench.

Riddler

Well I've been getting the fuel tank ready more and more for a better fit. The floor needed two small patches made and welded in. I welded a small piece where the fuel gasket is and also a 1.5" strip down the back right up to the back panel. I've not got it seemed sealed and I'll POR15 it tomorrow.

I've decided I want to be able to take the tank out in the future so I chose to install threaded inserts to hold the tank down. 1/4" -20 aluminum inserts worked great. I've not got the stainless hardware to go with the tank as well.

The tank itself got a strip of self adhesive body tape all around it to prevent rattles and smoke coming into the trunk during burnouts. :)

IMG_1381.jpg

I've been working on the transmission crossmember as well with my neighbor and should be done soon. Once thats done I can finish the floor and the inside POR15.

Riddler

OK so next question, leave it brushed stainless or paint over the tank with POR15?

Riddler

Can you paint stainless with POR 15? Or should you, it's not like it will rust.

Can you paint stainless with POR 15? Or should you, it's not like it will rust.

It would protect it a little more. I'm thinking about doing the same with mine, plus it will hide it under the car.

POR-15 is designed to work best over the rust to bite into it, I was told years ago after I sandblasted the frame on my Power Wagon, that it works best if you just wire brush off the scale and that by blasting the metal I defeated the purpose of what the product was designed for. Since your tank is nice and smooth un-rustable metal I would look for another durable product to put on it.

-
Back