Project Riddler's Ride - 1976 Plymouth Duster

-
Riddler.....I love watching innovators like you....Ross...and a few others. Gonna be a trick hot rod, eh?

I'm trying to be a little different without losing the old muscle car vibe. I've scrapped a few ideas cause they didn't fit the theme.

Hopefully I'll have more pics very soon. I've been working on the AC box and such.

Dnasty777 - thanks for the comments. I was hoping to make the dash look factory.

Riddler

I like the dash mod. We'll have to talk about the interior/stereo when it gets back from the body shop.

Jay

Can't wait see color on it, any color.....

Well it's been five long years but Project EH-body has some colour on it now.

Here's yesterday's pics from the painter.
image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Today I was sent these pics.
image3.JPG

image4.JPG

image5.JPG

image6.JPG

I should be getting the car back next week with all the jams and engine bay complete. Then I'm suppose to install the drivetrain and brakes so it runs and stops and the shop gets it back again for final block sanding and paint. I'm hoping to have the car for about 6-9 months to get the drivetrain in and brakes done. Still need to buy all the wiring and such and with this being a cash build.....

Riddler

Here's the next round of pics sent by the painter this weekend.

First off a couple to show assembly of the doors, trunk and hood.
pic4.JPG

pic3.JPG

Next up is what the inside of the fenders look like...
pic2.JPG

Finally I've been having a hard time choosing how to do the hood. Full flat black, just the scoop flat black or paint it all body colour. Still can't decide. What do you think and why?
pic1.JPG

Thanks,

Riddler

Paint it body color and here's my opinion on why, all Flat black doesn't flow with the body lines, your car has curves and by highlighting the square corners of the hood with flat black doesn't do the Duster body justice. Scoops only, looks like it was added after the car was done and by painting it body color you have a nice clean matching canvas to add or do something later. Stopping a paint color at the end of a body panel or parting line between hood scoop and hood is very old school and even though I like that look on the right car, yours isn't that car....Its modern (Paint, engine, suspension, tires. ect..) so highlight that fact. What color are your stripes (if any) ?

I would go with all one color. Modern first of all as Orange said, 2nd the black hood scoop is sort of over used retro to me now. Not that it does not look good but your car is a new vision of the car. I was thinking maybe also what kind of graphic are you going to do? I could see a single stripe with pin on the sides going over one side of scoop or even a dual stripe lots of options. But flat black makes it look like it was an after thought. Its going to look great mo matter what! :happy1:

Thanks for the opinions and they do make sense. I'm not planning any graphics... paint or stickers. The only thing going over the paint will be emblems and Hemi call outs on the scoop.

Riddler

How about a dark silver hood and fender tops. Through a little 1/4" or smaller color breaking stripe between the two colors...

hope this helps.......Is the car in color yet ?

Attachments

• duster%20019.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 705
  • duster%20018.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 710
  • duster%20017.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 718
Yup that really helps! I'm gonna try and find someone with a steel brake....

The jams, engine bay and underhood is done! The car is home and the shop wants it running and stopping before they do final block sand, gaps and paint. Hoping to get it back to do them in less than 6 months.... Child #2 comes in March...

Riddler

I am in favor of all body color. I went thru the same problem with my Scamp and went with all one color. Good Luck with which ever way you go.

Jim

Attachments

• 1795683_10154525727710437_6617073181246243073_n.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 623
Demon sizzler hood.

Attachments

• demon sizzler hood.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 617
I think I've settled on painting the car all one colour but the wife keeps asking about stripes and such.... prolly won't happen though!

Bought a 26" rad with shroud and fans. I haven't been working on the car due to a back injury. I'm slowly getting better and can actually stand now.

Riddler

Instead of trying to hide them inside the fenders I'm going to attach them to the fender top. Redline tuning I believe sells kits.

Riddler

Redline is kinda local. They're in the Ann Arbor area, IIRC. They prototyped the set for the new bodystyle Kia Rio off my daily. Great guys.

Jay

Redline is kinda local. They're in the Ann Arbor area, IIRC. They prototyped the set for the new bodystyle Kia Rio off my daily. Great guys.

Jay

Flushing????....ya' know Tex Peel?

you could paint it all one color then have the hood vinyl wrapped flat black if you ever wanted to change it up.. and you wont have to worry about the paint flaws in flat black that cant be buffed out..

I think I've settled on painting the car all one colour but the wife keeps asking about stripes and such.... prolly won't happen though!

Bought a 26" rad with shroud and fans. I haven't been working on the car due to a back injury. I'm slowly getting better and can actually stand now.

Riddler

Decals....................When you get tired of them, peel them off. My 0.2

-
Back