Proper Distributor for HEI Conversion

-

Mr onetwo

Reaction score
I received this new distributor from RockAuto yesterday and wanted the opinions of people who have done this conversion.I have a 1970 Fury with a 318 2bbl.The car is otherwise stock and has 74K on the clock.
It came with a sticker stating that the warrantee is void if removed! Don't like that at all.There is also a small amount of up and down play in the shaft, but this may be normal.I can return it if there is a better alternative.I am on a tight budget and already have all the HEI parts and a limiter plate to do this with. I think I will get a Pertronix Igniter III round coil unless someone has a better or cheaper alternative. Any and all advice is really appreciated guys!

wpi distro 1.JPG

distro 2.JPG

I received this new distributor from RockAuto yesterday and wanted the opinions of people who have done this conversion.I have a 1970 Fury with a 318 2bbl.The car is otherwise stock and has 74K on the clock.
It came with a sticker stating that the warrantee is void if removed! Don't like that at all.There is also a small amount of up and down play in the shaft, but this may be normal.I can return it if there is a better alternative.I am on a tight budget and already have all the HEI parts and a limiter plate to do this with. I think I will get a Pertronix Igniter III round coil unless someone has a better or cheaper alternative. Any and all advice is really appreciated guys!

View attachment 1715409572

View attachment 1715409573

Those distributors work perfectly fine for HEI in a budget daily driver.
Been running that exact setup for years with the 8 pin module.
A little up and down play is not a problem (2 peice shaft has some play between them)
You can get an E or C core coil from a yard cheap, and they work great but you could run a canister if you wish.
The Dodge magnum engine coils are also cheap and a good choice.
Below is the 8 pin module and a GM E core coil I picked up for 12 bucks out of the local pick a part.
If you pull one from somewhere be sure and get the connectors with it.

installed.jpg

Last edited:
I was hoping you would chime in TrailBeast! Is it real important to confirm the gap between the reluctor and the pickup? I have a Ford coil with the proper connectors so will use it.These are the parts I bought a couple of years ago.

coil.JPG

module.JPG

View attachment 1715409594

combined.JPG

Up and down play is normal. If you are going to run that blue ford ignition coil it has a male end on it and the distributor you pictured has female ends on it. Not sure if you have an ignition coil wire with one female and one male end. I believe your current stock setup also has a ballast running to your coil which you should bypass to get maximum volts to your new coil (if your new coil doesn't require a ballast resistor if it's a low resistance e-coil which it appears to be).
Are you using the bracket that bolts the HEI module to the bottom of your distributor (Mopar HEI Conversion)? Make sure you use the thermal paste that should have come with your new HEI module to mount it.

I don't like the way the distributor rotates and vertical clearance is too loose. Because you can't remove the cap to investigate without voiding the warrantee I am sending it back to RA for a refund.Fail I guess.Will stick with original points distributor , ect. 'til spring and then figure out what to do at that time.

I was hoping you would chime in TrailBeast! Is it real important to confirm the gap between the reluctor and the pickup? I have a Ford coil with the proper connectors so will use it.These are the parts I bought a couple of years ago.

Sorry, but if you don't quote someone's post they don't know you asked or said anything.

The gap isn't supper critical. but it should be close to .008
Most everyone including the manuals say you should use a non magnetic feeler gauge.

I don't like the way the distributor rotates and vertical clearance is too loose. Because you can't remove the cap to investigate without voiding the warrantee I am sending it back to RA for a refund.Fail I guess.Will stick with original points distributor , ect. 'til spring and then figure out what to do at that time.

"Can't remove the cap????" How are you supposed to set the timing????

For info, tho, ALL traditional Chrysler built single point or breakerless (aluminum housing) distributor DO HAVE some vertical play. I don't know what you mean by rotation, is it sloppy? side to side? or too tight?

"Can't remove the cap????" How are you supposed to set the timing????

For info, tho, ALL traditional Chrysler built single point or breakerless (aluminum housing) distributor DO HAVE some vertical play. I don't know what you mean by rotation, is it sloppy? side to side? or too tight?
It's hard to describe...it's almost a clunk as you turn it by hand.

Sounds to me like you need to return them "defective"

-
Back