-

ToMang07

Reaction score
Talking about body work.

Auto Body.

Roof Dent 1.jpg

Roof Dent 2.jpg

Roof Dent 3.jpg

I would pull it out with a stud gun, not sure what tools you have access to. cover the glass with something heavy enough not to leave spark tracks.

Does your car have a headliner? If not I think you could push it from inside, before using filler.

How deep is the dent? I wouldn't want any filler more than 1/8" thick, and less is better.

Another option could be to fill it with lead solder.

Does your car have a headliner? If not I think you could push it from inside, before using filler.

How deep is the dent? I wouldn't want any filler more than 1/8" thick, and less is better.

Another option could be to fill it with lead solder.
It doesn't, most of it is fallen down/out. Won't be easy to get to, but punching it out is my preference. Never done one before. I'll have to measure depth.

I would pull it out with a stud gun, not sure what tools you have access to.

That's another route if he has access to one (or is willing to spend $175). I bought an H&S Autoshot 4550 and it's an amazing tool for pulling dents. Don't waste your $ on the cheapo Harbor Freight one.

I think getting another headliner back in there will be a bigger worry than that dent !

If you have to absolutely pack it, use a reinforced filler such as duraglass, bondo hair etc. then skin with regular filler. If you have a welder and a pair of vice grips, weld a big ol washer on the end of the adjustment screw, tack a screw or a small tab of sheet metal on the car, clamp on and use a slide hammer with a little hook to pull it.

I dont see that creased dent being pulled out if at all, where thats located. That will have to persuaded out from the inside with any result.

I would do whatever it takes to push out the dent . Mickey Mouse repaires hav a habit of biting you in the rump sometime of another . BTW the dent in the stainless is repairable/replaceable . Good luck , Tom

A stud gun with 1.8 or 2.0 pins would get it done. To go from the inside you also have to cut an access hole through the inner panel.

I would do whatever it takes to push out the dent . Mickey Mouse repaires hav a habit of biting you in the rump sometime of another . BTW the dent in the stainless is repairable/replaceable . Good luck , Tom
Yes they can, and on a leading edge a rock can turn it into a big chunk of missing material

Know anybody at a body shop. That could be pulled in 15 min or so with a stud gun. No headliner to catch fire.

Know anybody at a body shop. That could be pulled in 15 min or so with a stud gun. No headliner to catch fire.

I wish, that'd make my life much easier, lol

Problem is I want to paint it before I get the engine done, so I'll have to pay someone to come to me or borrow(rent) a trailer to get it to a body shop. And at that point, buying a stud gun would be cheaper, of course learning is 1/2 the fun, right?

I wish, that'd make my life much easier, lol

Problem is I want to paint it before I get the engine done, so I'll have to pay someone to come to me or borrow(rent) a trailer to get it to a body shop. And at that point, buying a stud gun would be cheaper, of course learning is 1/2 the fun, right?
Stud guns have other uses , they are also good for heat shrinking metal, moulding studs if you have those. If you plan to do all around the the car it might be worth the investment.

Stud guns have other uses , they are also good for heat shrinking metal, moulding studs if you have those. If you plan to do all around the the car it might be worth the investment.
Well, most of the panels have been repaired/replaced already, so this is the only dent. 3/4 quarters are new. So $200 on a stud gun is not unreasonable, still kinda sucks, then I gotta figure out how to use it, lol!

Well, most of the panels have been repaired/replaced already, so this is the only dent. 3/4 quarters are new. So $200 on a stud gun is not unreasonable, still kinda sucks, then I gotta figure out how to use it, lol!
They are very easy to use. You'll be sticking studs all over everything just for fun!lol

DSCN1488.JPG
DSCN1481.JPG
Not a big fan of HF, but the stud gun worked well. It does comes with studs and slide hammer, it does take practice holding the trigger for the right amount of weld time.

stud buddy.jpg
No, if I did this full time I would invest in a "Stud Buddy" or a similar device.

Use a body hammer and Dolly. The dolly is is solid steel used on the outside so you don't push the metal out to far. It's basically a hand anvil of sorts. You can can get most that out with very little Bondo. You may not even need the Bondo if you know how to work your metal. Could get away the filler primer if done good enough

I will be surprised if you have any backside access there. Pull it and fill it. Remember you aren't trying to pull mountains in the middle of the dent, you are trying to pull the entire dent.

I could pull and metal finish that, without any filler in an hour.

-
Back