Purple cam for SB.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Can't find the mopar purple cam 280/474 anywhere, I had that cam once and loved it nice idle and pulled like a fright train.what I like I was able to use stock push rods and rockers,just had to change valve springs comp 904.if I can't find my old cam what is a dead ringer close specs as the 280 /474.my build is a 360 30 over speed pro pistons 9 2 1 comp,340 j 202 valve,edelbrock rpm performer,stock ing not points.355 gear thinking 2800 stall.headers.thanks gents.

I think I have one on the shelf. I bought it from a friend of mine. I’ll check it in a minute to see if I can see some numbers on it.

I busted out the camshaft. My friend marked it a 280/474. He is normally pretty meticulous about such things. On the ends of the cam I can’t really see any numbers like I normally find on a MP cam. Which would be the cam only part number. I find what looks like “171” & at a 180* opposite end it “0471” - the wife & I think.

I busted out the camshaft. My friend marked it a 280/474. He is normally pretty meticulous about such things. On the ends of the cam I can’t really see any numbers like I normally find on a MP cam. Which would be the cam only part number. I find what looks like “171” & at a 180* opposite end it “0471” - the wife & I think.
I will keep it in mind.

The Comp is really nice in they added exhaust duration.

I can say for sure my cam is what I thought it was but my buddy is pretty darn meticulous.

I have one of those. I really didn't care for it too much.

If you have to have that grind you could probably get it from Oregon Cams

Some of the old purple shaft cams had no identification marks or numbers. I have had a few, the first cam I bought was a used .484 purple stripe cam for $10, because the guy couldn’t get it to idle in his 340. But no identification on it.

Some of the old purple shaft cams had no identification marks or numbers. I have had a few, the first cam I bought was a used .484 purple stripe cam for $10, because the guy couldn’t get it to idle in his 340. But no identification on it.
I have one of those with the on my stamping on it is on the front nose. “471” is the only thing I can read. I purchased it from my friend. He said it was the 280/.474.

-
Back