Purple people eater resto

-

Supertrooper455

Reaction score
Well, i guess ill just start at the beginning. When i was about 14 or so, my uncle gave me his 1971 Demon. The car originally start out at as a plum crazy, 340 auto bench seat car with factory blackout package and hoodscoops. As the car sits right now, it has a 340 out of a 68 barracuda, is missing its original column shift, and is some sort of color blue.

about 2 years ago we started tearing into it very slowley and didnt get too far in until some personal matters stopped us in our tracks, not allowing any further progress.

Im 17 now, and ive decided since i have a steady income and i want something a bit more fun than what i have now, that i would like to tear back into the demon.

Its been sitting for 16 years or so with a 1/4 tank of gas in the car, so im thinking i need to pull it and put some deisil and a chain in it and roll it around the yard a bit to get all the nasty out of it, and then epoxy the inside of it and i should be good.

The only part right now that im freaking out about is if i should just throw a carb rebuild kit at it and try and fire it up, or if i should go in and just check out the cylinders and all that since a gasket kit is only like 60 bucks. If anyone has had any experience with a car sitting for this long some input would be greatly appreciated :cheers:

Ok, so I've decided that I'm just going to ahead and clean the tank, rebuild the carb, and replace all the fluids and give her a go. Wether it starts or not, I'm still going to be pulling the 340 and doing a total rebuild on the motor.

The carb that's on it now is a Holley 750 double pumper, I think the model is 4150, which I'm told is a pretty simple carb so I should be able to get parts and rebuild it fairly easy.

Next time im on the computer I'll post some pics of where I'm at

:worthles:.....where in Spokane are you at?? I am off of Francis/291......

I wonder if your uncle used to cruise Riverside and hang out at Dick's....

i have ran plenty of engine that have sat for years. may need valve seals though

Pics will be up today. And im off evergreen on 7th in the valley. Back in the day my uncle did cruise riverside, originally it was a faded purple but he repainted it blue with white stripes, which is what
color it is now

Ok, before we start just remember that this car was ran hard and put away wet so she isnt in the best shape :eek:ops:

Here is a little info from the factory build sheet though. It came from the factory a 1971 Plumb Cray Purple 340/727 tf dodge demon. Non-powersteering, blackout package on the hood, and factory stripe. Also came with rally wheels and chrome exhaust tips. Now here is the part where it gets weird, it started as a column shift, bench seat car with all black interior, so we are figuring some family man back in the day wanted a fast car he could take to the drags on saturday, then take the family to church on sunday ;)

Here is a shot of how it is now
2012-09-09_19-40-49_712.jpg

28170_1356924537332_3172988_n.jpg

We still have all of the pieces we took off
28170_1356924577333_6733015_n.jpg

here is the 340 with the carb in question
28170_1356924617334_6318568_n.jpg

you can see the original color on the floor :happy8:
28170_1356924497331_6698617_n.jpg

Hopefully we can get her back into her prime

First off welcome to FABO! looks like a solid project you have..i will be watching this one :happy1:

Next time im over there ill highlite some of the cancer spots, most of the bodywork is a cakewalk, other than i might need to replace most of the drivers quarter because of a wreck way back in the day that was never repaired right so it eventually got into the inner structer. Another thing i need to do is find an original column shift steering linkage because i would like to go back to the from factory look

Ok, finally got over there again to take out the gas tank and get ready for the motor to be pulled. We were a little surprised by how clean the inside of the tank, just because it has been sitting for 17 years with 1/4 tank of gas. The next step of the build is to epoxy the tank, rebuild the carb, and put new bearings and gaskets in the 340

First off ill show a little more of the body damage im talking about
2012-10-08_16-46-41_974.jpg

2012-10-08_16-47-03_906.jpg

2012-10-08_16-47-12_4.jpg

how the car is sitting right now

2012-10-08_15-52-29_752.jpg

Tank is out of the car:cheers:

2012-10-08_16-46-23_822.jpg

Couple shots of how the motor is right about meow

2012-10-08_17-03-05_109.jpg

2012-10-08_17-03-18_3.jpg

2012-10-08_18-41-03_215.jpg

when i head over there tomorrow we are going to pull the engine and tranny, after that i guess we are at the part where i start spending money :-(

Nice project.I,ve seen members start off with alot worse,turning them into really nice cars.Good luck.

That is a great car I have a 71 demon as well and is my favorite car. What Intake manifold is on there??

I have to agree with everyone else here: you have a sweet ride. My only advice would be to try and not overwhelm yourself...Start only what you can accomplish/afford and keep chugging along. I know this because my '72 Duster has been on stilts, in primer for over 9 years now. Keep the pictures and progress comming; I need motivation kid!

Yea, im not in any hurry, ive still got plenty of time :D My goal right now is to get it running, because for me having a running, moving, driving project really helps motivate me to work my butt off to get it done.

Also some good news. When we pulled the tank, we pressure washed it and what we found was a surprise. Not only was their very little rust, but what rust was there was just on the surface and came off with a quick bath of brake cleaner.

Another little bit is while we were preparing to pull the motor, we found out that its in way better shape then we originally assumed. My uncle was trying to convince me to put new bearing in it, but after he saw some of the evidence he is pretty confident all we need to do is put some new gaskets in it and rebuild the carb so im going to save myself a little bit off money :cheers:

That is very nice. Mine is solid but all screwed up on the 1/4s cause the guy we got it froms son hit it with his tractor 2 or 3 times.

you call that rough?

thats a heck of a good start in my opinion.

I ran into alot worse on my duster when I first started.

check out my build thread and see what I started with and what my end result was. might get some added inspiration out of it if nothing else. hope you have time on your hands though because there is thousands of pictures haha. (link in signature below).

congrats on kicking the project into gear though and welcome to fabo!

Ok, so over this past weekend we got the motor out of the demon. Of course i got some pics of the process and all that good stuff. now the next step is to go through the extremely clean motor, get it painted, and then go in and clean up under the hood before we go and put it back in.

And thanks for all of the encouragement guys, i appreciate it. It definitely keeps me focused on the goals ahead

2012-10-12_17-29-53_112.jpg

2012-10-12_18-17-09_562.jpg

2012-10-12_18-28-59_15.jpg

2012-10-12_19-03-27_827.jpg

2012-10-12_19-22-57_453.jpg

2012-10-12_19-58-32_128.jpg

2012-10-13_13-51-21_643-1.jpg

i bought some hemi orange paint today for the block of the motor, and i pulled the paint code for some plumb crazy so i can go and mix up some water-based at school. Ive heard water-based paints really make metallics pop, so i want to see how this purple is going to turn out

-
Back