Purple people eater resto

-
Very nice. That engine is real clean those rockers look brand new.

we thought the same thing lol :D but my uncle was saying the motor must only have 4k on it since a rebuild, and then it was parked for 17 years. All i know that it is definitely saving me some money on an engine rebuild

The Hemi Orange will really pop with the plum crazy.

And that cool you can mix paints at school they dont do that down here. Its probably cause it is all the thugs hang out but O well

Yea, our skill center is definitely awesome. Not only is it good to get a feel for what you want to do for a career and work on some cool projects, you also get to do alot of your own stuff and even get some good scholarships out of it. Last year i had a buddy thats featured in one of these pictures that won a $5,000 scholarship to U.T.I. for placing second at state, so its definitely something to take seriously

check out my avatar to the left <------- Yes the Hemi orange really does pop on the plum crazy. A nice "jewelry box effect".

yea, it definitely is going to look good.

We did run into a problem though. When we took the timing chain cover off, we discovered the chain had way too much slack in it, so it looks like i need a new one. Anyone have any specific brands that they trust for double roller timing chains?

2012-11-28_15-00-47_627.jpg

So i just went and got a comp cams hi-tech double roller, seemed to have swell reviews and its rated to 600 hp. Also got some solid motor mounts and a new transmission mount since ours was ruined by some old tranny fluid.

with the engine sitting for 17yrs and the rocker assembly still bolted down i would change the valve springs out if it were me. looks as though it may be hopped up a bit and if you plan to rev it like it should be then i would spend the little money and swap out the springs for new ones. just my opinion. looks like a nice project.

with the engine sitting for 17yrs and the rocker assembly still bolted down i would change the valve springs out if it were me. looks as though it may be hopped up a bit and if you plan to rev it like it should be then i would spend the little money and swap out the springs for new ones. just my opinion. looks like a nice project.

Thats a pretty darn good idea, thanks for that. Ive got some extra ones in storage already so it wouldnt cost me anything. :D

Sorry its been going so slow guys. With still going to highschool my weekdays are already occupied, and working at a movie theater where the main business is on the weekends they seem to be filled up too. All in all, i only have a bit of time every week to get some stuff done, but thats just the way it works for now.

However i did get the motor painted for the most part, still waiting to paint the headers until i can do those in the booth at school. And i got the body all ready to be hot-pressure washed to get all the crap out from the engine bay and underneath the car

I ordered a couple of patch panels so those should be on there way so we can get started on some body work

2012-12-02_15-53-05_504.jpg

2012-12-02_12-47-36_308.jpg

2012-12-02_15-38-58_344.jpg

These are some crazy looking headers to get around that linkage
2012-12-02_15-55-26_947.jpg

where did you get the patch panels from? I need some pathes for my 73 340 Duster
Also lookin good should hit the intake with some paint or sodablast it and clear it or get it powdercoated

where did you get the patch panels from? I need some pathes for my 73 340 Duster
Also lookin good should hit the intake with some paint or sodablast it and clear it or get it powdercoated

I got the patches from yearone, because the drivers side quarter is all filled with mud so it needs to be replaced. As for the headers, i was testing the header paint on some pulleys to see how it looks, and once i figure out what color im going to take them to school, sand blast them down, then paint and bake them in one of our booths there

Oh man, yeah those ones were a pain in the bit for sure. We had to disconnect the steering linkage just to pull them out of the car. And as for the intake, i was thinking i might paint it the flat header black just so it will sorta match up with the ribbed valve covers and air cleaner that im going to put on

I like the car a lot, it will be a head turner for sure. I am way jealous of your work space. I do all my work in a single bay...

Thanks guys, i appreciate that. And as for the workspace, i got lucky with my uncle letting me bum in his shop

Ive ran into a problem because i dont really know how to degree my engine with the new timing chain. The motor itself as advanced 6 but i dont know how to set up the new timing chain with the original T.D.C. marks being all goofed up from the degreeing

So we went and pressure washed the engine bay to start to get it ready for paint. It actually stripped off all the old black paint down to the original plum crazy so it just makes that task that much easier.
2012-12-08_13-49-23_441.jpg

2012-12-08_14-32-41_805.jpg

2012-12-08_14-56-44_21.jpg

I also followed some advice that was posted on here and masked off and painted the intake. Once it's all done ill post some pics of he finished product
2012-12-08_17-36-27_150.jpg

Well, do to some unforseen things, i had to cancel the order on the quarters so that project will be held off for a little while. Finished up the intake and got the timing set all squared away, also changed a couple of the colors around to make them pop a little more.

Also went and put truck bed liner on the k-member before we go and paint the engine bay. Just a little tougher paint to hold up a little longer

Through some talking with my uncle I found the motor has a knife-edged petty racing crank and petty rods in it that he had ordered in the 80's. I thought that was kinda cool.

2012-12-28_16-16-38_881.jpg

_facebook_911193343_.jpg

_facebook_-188312841_.jpg

2012-12-28_18-00-25_406.jpg

A factory 340 demon !!! Good find. Definately worth the time n effort. Some body spent some money inside the motor . Good luck and looking forward to more pics.

Very solid start there. Motor is looking good. If you blast your headers be sure to paint them with the VHT header primer. You'll be happy with the results and they will look better longer. When you get your new tires and wheels, just go ahead and ship those slots to me. It is the holidays you know. Seriously though, if you do decide to let those rims go I would be interested. Keep up the good work.:coffee2:

Yea, my uncle is pretty rad. He gave me a great opportunity here.

And i havnt heard about the vht primer? And do you know how much longer it will make the paint last, because i dont really feel like pulling those out again once im done here for touch ups

And ill be sure to keep you in mind for those slots. 15's look good and all, but this thing needs a serious overhaul in the brakes for my uncle to at least have some comfort in knowing that the car will actually stop when required. And ya cant do that with 15's

Wow its lookin great. You work pretty fast. Wish you were closer I would buy the wheels and tires from you they look so cool I love vintage rubber

-
Back