Question on a motor

-

Patch

Patch
Reaction score
Hello all....I will be soon receiving a 1990 360 out of a pickup....I realize that this year (89-91) 360's are a lil different than the others.....but to what extent? I know it has a roller cam/lifters.....but the Mopar Performance engine books does not single these years with much clarity. Not a magnum, but not the same as the earlier ones. Other than the block being different for the lifter retainers....are the actual lifter bores longer than the normal LA engines? Can I put a regular hyd or solid cam set-up in it (not that I will...) Also....if I do run the roller cam, is it going to run like crap with a carb vs. the stock injection? Any pointers on this engine's quirks or pecurlararities would be great...Thanks in advance.....Pat

LOL @ Patch, only a half of an hour and your looking fr answers. ;) Sometimes, the wait kills me as well.

In addition to the reply above;

I'd certainly stick with the roller cam
Running a carb requires tuning it, so ethier learn to do so or maybe get a different F.I. set up as the factory set up isn't going to be a great performer with the much more narrow centerlines of the performance cams normaly ground. Which can be avoided if you wish. Just make the mention to the grinder that your running a F.I. set up and need a wider centerline on the cam.
Kind of like, "I like this cam, but I run F.I., can you ground it to work with this set up....Stock, F.A.S.T, Acecel, etc...

The heads are very good and port out well.

Well...half an hour PLUS a day...lol.....I typed it on the 8th....;)

LOL @ Patch, only a half of an hour and your looking fr answers. ;) Sometimes, the wait kills me as well.

In addition to the reply above;

I'd certainly stick with the roller cam
Running a carb requires tuning it, so ethier learn to do so or maybe get a different F.I. set up as the factory set up isn't going to be a great performer with the much more narrow centerlines of the performance cams normaly ground. Which can be avoided if you wish. Just make the mention to the grinder that your running a F.I. set up and need a wider centerline on the cam.
Kind of like, "I like this cam, but I run F.I., can you ground it to work with this set up....Stock, F.A.S.T, Acecel, etc...

The heads are very good and port out well.

if you are going to run a carb and mechanical fuel pump with the stock or reground cam you will need an adapter to put an eccentric on the end of the cam for the fuel pump to work, HUGHES sells them for a few bucks, or you can get a new cam with one on it, or you can use an aftermarket electric fuel pump designed for a carb application

Should have the oil holes in block for shaft rocker oiling. Good block to start with as a baseline. You can use LA or magnum heads on it.

You can save money by calling Tim at Bullet Cams if you want a hughes regrind... You are really limited on lift, duration and LSA of the cam when going the regrind route.

I have some experience with converting these engines to carb and running standard LA flat tappet cams. you will need to get a fuel pump eccentric and the proper bolt and washer for the cam. I've always used the lifters that came with the cam and stock length push rods; the roller push rods are way too short. On 2 of these conversions the valvetrain has been a bit noisy, possibly due to a smaller base circle on the replacement cam. I cured this with adjustable rocker arms. If the timing cover has no provision for a fuel pump, you can use 1 from a carbureted engine or just run an electric pump.

-
Back