Quick non-mopar question...

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
Neighbor of mine has an 03 GMC Envoy XL 4WD that's in the shop. Supposedly he "blew out" his transfer case and both front and rear differentials. Is it common to lose the transfer case and both differentials at the exact same time, or is the shop blowing smoke up his ***? The shop wants $2k to fix it, but he doesn't have it so is just planning to sell the truck to the junkyard. I'm trying to see if a friend of mine, who owns a different shop, would be interested in buying it from my neighbor to fix and sell, and maybe get my neighbor a little more than the $125 the scrapyard will pay him for it.

Anybody have any experience with this? I've never had a 4WD vehicle, so I'm really no help in that area. Thanks in advance.

I'd have to see that in person. Did his teenage son take it out 4 wheeling and tried to get it un-stuck?

The guy that owns it is just barely out of his teens himself. I wouldn't put it past him to be a little careless with where/how he drove it. But to lose all three at the exact same instant just seems fishy to me. The shop originally wanted him to sign the title over to them to cover the tow and "inspection" fee. I tried to get him to have it towed to a different shop for a 2nd opinion, but apparently I was outvoted by his parents.

It's possible, but "you have to work at it." Here's the "incident" I witnessed.

This happened back in the late 70's when Jeep first came out with their idea of "full time" transfer case.

Out of towner came up with a new CJ 7? full time. We were playing on a small sand hill. He went roaring up there, the front end lifted over the crest, and it was steep, and here is how this happened, all in one short instant:

Got near to crest, front end in the air, lost momentum, all the weight is on the rear with the front off the ground and under full power

The power now slips through the full time transfer just like a differential AND THE AXLE TRIES TO START TURNING AT 2X normal speed

Then the front axle came crashing down ON ONE TIRE FIRST. This completely shocked the drivetrain, breaking up the front axle and the transfer, and communicated that shock back through the rear drive and broke something in the rear axle.

The were from Moses Lake or Tri Cities, I forget, and this was in the N end of Idaho. He had a wrecker pull it clear home, to of course find that the dealer took one glance and voided his warranty!!

I would guess all that is possible. If one diff was already broke the Envoy could still opperate
Then if the other different had problems, maybe bearings or something, some sort of stress could have been on the transfer case and caused it's failure. Kids can wreck anything.

Neighbor of mine has an 03 GMC Envoy XL 4WD that's in the shop. Supposedly he "blew out" his transfer case and both front and rear differentials. Is it common to lose the transfer case and both differentials at the exact same time, or is the shop blowing smoke up his ***? The shop wants $2k to fix it, but he doesn't have it so is just planning to sell the truck to the junkyard. I'm trying to see if a friend of mine, who owns a different shop, would be interested in buying it from my neighbor to fix and sell, and maybe get my neighbor a little more than the $125 the scrapyard will pay him for it.

Anybody have any experience with this? I've never had a 4WD vehicle, so I'm really no help in that area. Thanks in advance.

Just off the top I would have to call BS on that.
It would cost WAY more than that to fix or replace a transfer case and both diffs.

My son is on his third diff in his 04 silverado. Aparrently its not his driving habit,theres something wrong with his truck i could do this in an hour of hard abuse with a new truck .
IMG_3050.JPG

Ok,the envoy runs front diff through oil pan,theres a coupling or disconnect that shreds the splines. It likely failed long ago. Rear is likely similiar to photo above,due to front not working. They threw in the t-case for good measure (cya). Now that price seems low, must be used parts, as new parts to redo rear is well over a grand,plus labour. Front is a big undertaking just to get it out. Have a customers buick that has no awd for the past year. Has no money to fix,500 for a used front and at least that to replace it.

I know, it's off the Op's post, but. Duramax GM products have a chain drive transfer case. Chains stretch and wear, part of the game. When the chain stretches it sags. It sags on to the transfer case housing and begins to eat it's way through the case. Never a sound since it's in an oil bath. First sign a little oil leak. Next indicator major oil leak.

How long were there "symptoms" before it quit moving? I'd have to check, but if I'm correct, if it has an auto AWD select and the front "de-splines" the "slippage" causes
the clutch in the transfer case to engage....usually rudely which doesn't bode well for the other diff.,...and the transfer case clutch gets jacked up.

Some had a selector most do not.
Only time you know 4wd isnt working is when you get stuck.most of them are controlled by the ecu detecting slippage and applying the front awd clutch in t-case.
Got my son's going today,gutted two diffs,assembled one. He did most of the work himself,while i coached him. He feels smarter now.I,however still have a sore back. Darn weather changed dramatically. Gets me every time.

Last edited:
I don't know all the specifics of what actually happened when it went out. The kid that owned the truck said that the tires were spinning as he went from gravel to pavement, and when the tires locked up, he heard a metallic crunch from under the truck, and it wouldn't go anymore. He thought he'd lost the transmission. It wouldn't move in any gear, forward or reverse. After the shop looked at it, I heard in passing that the transfer case and both differentials were toast. I actually spoke to the owner of the shop yesterday when the flatbed picked it up to take it to the guy that had bought it (I'm their ride since the dad doesn't have a license, and now the kid doesn't have a truck), and he said it was just the rear differential that blew, and actually shot fragments through the housing. He said that if the rear differential goes, the truck doesn't move, even in 4WD, since it's not like the old trucks where the front and rear get power separately. He said the front power is dependent on the rear working properly. I don't know if this is true or not, as I'm not a mechanic. I'm just reporting what the guy said. Of course, this is the same guy that is selling an 89 Chevy Silverado for $4800 because it has a "special" engine in it (Jasper rebuild with an already used up warranty) and a "so-called" $3k paint job. So, who knows?

My '77 jimmy had a full time transfer case,basically a differential in the case. 4 hi split front and rear. Get a little stuck and you were staying put until it was in 4 lock. That was a lot of moving parts when not needed.

I never realized this was the case, could be bs too, if rear was blown there is no slippage to detect so front wouldnt engage.

Anything is possible, but in this day of half assed and inexperienced mechanics, I would want to see the car on a lift and have them show me why the axles were toast. Also the transfer case if they could show me that also. I guess what Im saying is, it may be complete BS, or a mis-diagnosis.

The rear differential was blown. I have a picture on my phone where the cover on the diff is punctured in two places from the inside. I'll see if I can get them loaded up if anybody wants to see the carnage. It's not as dramatic as Tooljunkie's pic, but it's definitely a problem. The transfer case seems to be okay, because the rear driveshaft still turns. Not sure on the front, but that's not my problem anymore. The shop is putting in a rear axle assembly from a salvage yard, and then it's going to be sold. I think somebody could get a decent deal on an 03 Envoy XL here before too long...

Is the Envoy the Trailblazer counter part? If so, I am thinking their drive trains aren't very heavy duty, probably independent suspension with half shafts. I miss the days when a 4X4 had solid axles front and rear. It rode like a stagecoach, but didn't break too easily.

Its an envoy. Those and trailblazers never looked right to me or inspired any confidence. Let him junk it, one less ugly vehicle on the road

-
Back