Radiator flushing

-

Jay_340

Moparologist
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good radiator flush? I've heard that vinegar actually works really well, but I'm not sure what to really try. I have a big 4-core radiator in Duster and on warm days, the engine gets up around 200* at times. I installed a shroud, I tried a flex fan and a MP clutch fan set, messed with different size t-stats and made sure the timing and tuning was good. The water pump is in good condition, the belt is good and I recently replaced the upper radiator hose.

I'm thinking the radiator has a clog. I used a laser thermometer while the engine was up to temp and the center of the core read 190* while the outer sections of the core read 130*. I would like to try and save this radiator by flushing it since there is no external damage to it. Even if I have to fill it up with something while sealing the inlet/outlet, what kinds of flushing agents are good? I don't know of any good radiator shops around me. Anyone have any good ideas?

I GOT STUFF FROM NAPA CALLED LIKE RADIator rust repair it worked good i think i got it sflowing alot better and its a leave in thing.

I can recommend vinegar. it will take everything out... corrosion... old stopleak that you didn't know about...everything! But do make sure you flush it good! Really good!!!!

I can recommend vinegar. it will take everything out... corrosion... old stopleak that you didn't know about...everything! But do make sure you flush it good! Really good!!!!

Did you leave it in the radiator to soak or did you just run it through the cooling system for a few heat cycles? The engine has been reconditioned, so anything in the cooling jackets has been boiled out.

cascade dish washer is the best use a bottle of liquid put it in run it for a week then take thermostat out back flush and it will be good as new I guarantee it.and it will not hert any thing..

cascade dish washer is the best use a bottle of liquid put it in run it for a week then take thermostat out back flush and it will be good as new I guarantee it.and it will not hert any thing..

The dishwasher machine liquid or the hand washing liquid. I would imagine the handwashing liquid would foam like crazy.

2 teaspoons of powder spic&span, run it for 5 days, flush & you'll be surprized at what comes out, Don't use the liquid thou, itll keep foaming up for months,

Did you leave it in the radiator to soak or did you just run it through the cooling system for a few heat cycles? The engine has been reconditioned, so anything in the cooling jackets has been boiled out.

A couple heat cycles should be fine.. if it is going to take anything out it will do it almost instantly.

Interesting remedy choices in this thread :read2:. This info is always needed here in the desert where summer temps can reach 120*

I hope someone is writing the "Mopar home remedy and ailment book". It'll sell millions! I never thought of using soap of any kind or vinegar.

Good thread.:thumbrig:

I hope someone is writing the "Mopar home remedy and ailment book". It'll sell millions! I never thought of using soap of any kind or vinegar.

If you think about it vinegar eats corrosion build-up. And the soaps have cleaners and hard water deposit removers.

I actually heard of the vinegar thing when I was watching Horsepower TV one weekend. I was just curious to see if anyone else had tried it. I think I'm going to give it a shot once the weather clears up a bit. =( dumb wind and rain.

I actually heard of the vinegar thing when I was watching Horsepower TV one weekend. I was just curious to see if anyone else had tried it. I think I'm going to give it a shot once the weather clears up a bit. =( dumb wind and rain.

Flush it out REALLY good before you put the antifreeze in.. They sometimes don't like to mix.

-
Back