Read my plugs, was carbon fouling on 93 pump gas but not on 96 vp?

-
Different fuels burn differently & can leave different colour deposits. Nothing wrong with the plugs, NGK 5 is the correct heat range. Idle or cruise might be a little rich & as others have suggested, you could advance the timing slightly [ 2-5* ].

Change of color up towards the tip is late timing, and more towards the threads is too much.
Middle of the bend is about perfect IMO.
Sorry but this is just myth. People who really know what they are doing can get tan all the way down the porcelain to the boundary layer.

Sorry but this is just myth. People who really know what they are doing can get tan all the way down the porcelain to the boundary layer.

Not on US pump gas. You do that and it will kill power. Every single time.

Even on race fuel I don’t get color like that, even though you are going to quote Shrinker (out of context) to try and prove your point.

No one I know puts that kind of color on a plug. No one. They must all be idiots.

So should i leave the heat range plug i have in it now and adjust the idle mixture a little leaner? The plugs look white in the photo because of the flash, they are a very light tan/gray in natural light, ill see if i can get some pics of them outside maybe they will show up more true

A full heat range may be too much but it would be worth testing if you want to narrow it down to a nats ***. Start with idle tuning and see if it cleans up the soot.

A full heat range may be too much but it would be worth testing if you want to narrow it down to a nats ***. Start with idle tuning and see if it cleans up the soot.

I will try to cut a couple of the spark plugs to see if i can get you guys more info, 5 of the plugs are a touch black mid way down the porcelain but cylinder 7 and 8 look the same and the porcelain is pretty uniform as deep as i can see

Might try taking the covers off the plungers and lightly hold them down to see if you get a different idle quality. If they are bouncing up and down at idle, that is usually not good for a stable idle tune. Spring pressure too high.

Not on US pump gas. You do that and it will kill power. Every single time.

Even on race fuel I don’t get color like that, even though you are going to quote Shrinker (out of context) to try and prove your point.

No one I know puts that kind of color on a plug. No one. They must all be idiots.
Any fuel will do it. Shrinker was running 21 to 1 comp on pump gas and correlated burn conditions to plug reads.

Who do you know that was doing that? Exactly....nobody..

The reason you claim I miss quote him is simply because you can't understand why he says what he says.

Imagine running 240 psi cylinder pressure on 87 octane fuel.

I’m ok with a little bit of color in the porcelain but very little. If I see tan (or any darker than that) I’m taking fuel away from it because I know it’s giving up power.

-
Back