Retrofit Hydraulic Roller Lifters 340

-

shadetree69

Reaction score
HAS ANY ONE HAD PROBLEMS WITH RETROFIT LIFTERS, I HEARD THE OIL BAND ON THEM COULD BE ABOVE THE LIFTER BORE AT MAX LIFT, HAVE THEY SOLVED THIS PROBLEM AND IS THERE A CERTAIN BRAND LIFTER i SHOULD LOOK FOR ? THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP

yeah the was an article in a magazine about that i'll try to find it and let you know which mag it was and what month

Yes it can be an issue.

340SFastback had that issue

Brian at Indio Motor Machine, member OU812, ground him a cam with a reduced base circle to cure the issue.

Yes it can be an issue.

340SFastback had that issue

Brian at Indio Motor Machine, member OU812, ground him a cam with a reduced base circle to cure the issue.

Correct, the cam Brian ground has a smaller base circle which allows the lifters to ride lower in the bores so the oil band does not pop up out of the lifter bore. Brian can set you up with the lifters and other components too.

I have the Crane's also. I also had the cam base circle cut down. It looks good, but I'll know for sure this summer when I finally light the engine off.

Brain (OU812) has a set of solid roller lifters that will work without issue for a reasonable price. Well worth it.

I have the Crane's also. I also had the cam base circle cut down. It looks good, but I'll know for sure this summer when I finally light the engine off.

You don't need to start the engine to know if you have an issue or not. Run the oil pump with a drill and turn the cam around with the lifters in place. If oil squirts up when the lifters come up you have a problem.

Nobody knows if the Crane's are a drop in?

P.S. Update

Crane's are a drop in:
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/408_inch_mopar_stroker/photo_10.html
For a camshaft, we went with a Crane solid-roller that spec’d out at 260/266 @ 0.050 inch, and 0.420-inch lobe lift on a 108-degree lobe-separation angle. It was the smallest solid-roller in the company’s catalog. Traditionally, when installing a solid-roller in a Mopar small-block, the oil to the tappets needs to be blocked to prevent the lifter waist from uncovering the gallery, which results in zero oil pressure. To block it and still feed the mains required sleeving the gallery, peening the sleeve in the lifter bores, and drilling oil-feed holes down to the mains. Crane says its lifter design simply drops in and works without all that fussing. They did. Oil pressure was 30 psi at idle and 70 psi at high rpm. As pointed out in the Crane instructions, some clearance needs to be ground into the block for the link bars.

That streetable 408 made over 600 hp!

The cranes might drop in, might not... just like the drop in comps don't always.. DROP IN! BTDT. Nothing like getting a shortblock together only to find out the link bar/buttons interfere with the valley.

The car craft article is a separate issue, inside the bore, from what 340sFastback experienced, top of bore. That article addresses the body uncovering the lifter gallery. 340s's issue was the band becoming exposed at the top of the bore.

The cranes didn't work or were the exact same oil band location as the comp hydraulic rollers. I think 340sFastback checked them out or has crane lifters in his engine.

The issue is located at the top of the lifter bore and the block casting/machining and cam lift play a part. Machining at the top of the bore, chamfer, appears to cause some to leak and others not. The overall bore height from cam centerline is all over the map on blocks. Some blocks have no issue with the rollers, especially if the lift is small. Once you start getting into the 375-400+ lobe lift area, issues sometimes arise.

Yup, I just thought the write-up he did was good.
He is trying to explain it so others can figure their own out. He does a good job of explaining what to look for and how to measure it.

-
Back