Return of the Rampage

-
Just do a dart Ute... Use the AWD platform that they are going to use for the new SRT AWD dart and you are all set.

I'd have to look it over in person before saying I didn't like it. Seems like a lot of people would want an affordable small truck.

Do you know why the rampage didn't sell? Or why the S10 and the D50 gave way to larger trucks?

If you know, please share.

I'm a big D50 and "Scampage" (Scamp / Rampage) Fan, and own a few of each.

I can kinda figure out the reason for the Scampage, an extremely limited market. But the D50 filled the shoes of a bigger brother easily. They had a 1/2 Ton Payload Rating (sometimes More), could haul well more than that. They got awesome gas mileage too.

Article text says four full doors, but pic is 2D.

Dakota CC has almost same physical dimensions as 66-74 B body.
No wonder I love them so much.

How does this get past the entire planning and production process without someone saying "wait, wait a minute...it's UGLY....".

Attachments

• fiat-ducato.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 157
Would a small Ram be called a Lamb pickup?
I don't know if I can see it in a 4 door. I like the 2 door version and concept.
My Dakota has 160,000 miles on it; how many of those miles had passengers in the rear seats, maybe 1-2,000?
C

If you know, please share.

I'm a big D50 and "Scampage" (Scamp / Rampage) Fan, and own a few of each.

I can kinda figure out the reason for the Scampage, an extremely limited market. But the D50 filled the shoes of a bigger brother easily. They had a 1/2 Ton Payload Rating (sometimes More), could haul well more than that. They got awesome gas mileage too.

Lack of utility, and that's what most people buy a pick up.

I had a D50, too. Two, in fact. But, I used it as a sport pick up, because it simply wasn't big enough for any real work. Payload: "They had a 1/2 Ton Payload Rating". Correct. But they also has a serious lack of cargo volume capacity.

That was the main reason why Dodge introduced the Dakota, and why the "relatively successful" S10 was discontinued, in favor of the Colorado.

Prices were also an issue. By the end of their runs, small pick up were the same price, and in some cases more costly than full size 1/2 ton pick ups.

Having a D50, an S10, or any small pick up is always a good start, but, most people grow out of them, except as a sports truck.

Also, let.s not forget that there is still plenty of competition in the small pick up market.
Nissan, Toyota, and others.

Small pick ups were left behind by American mfgrs, because they got too expensive, our roads support larger vehicles that those in Europe or Asia, and for the same price (or less) you could by a fullsize truck with greater cubic and towing capacity, even if the "payload" rating (weight) is the same.

The Rampage was an unreliable vehicle, with high maintenance frequency, and expensive parts.
...and yes there were plenty of parts available from scrap yards, and that alone should tell you something.

RustyRatRod said:
Yeah what was I thinkin. God forbid we pull for a vehicle that might be affordable for most everybody.

Leaving all your emotions out of the conversation, my comment WAS NOT a personal attack on you, or anyone else.

How could a limited run of special bodied Darts be affordable? The Dart, itself is wholly over priced, and not a good seller.
Also, a full size gas powered V6 ram can pull 25 MPG, and compete with the cost of ANY pickup sold in America, today. We already have proven trucks that are "affordable for most everybody". with more utility than the proposed truck, above could ever dream of.

I fully understand that this truck may very likely be built. Some people will rush out to buy it because "it's a MoPar". I will make 2 predictions
1. It will not be as affordable as many think ( it's a Dart platform and Darts are not the most cost efficient cars in their class).
2. It will not sell as well as the Dart ( that is a sales disappointment, itself).

I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt I am.

...and contrary to what some here chose to believe, it has nothing to do with any of you, personally.

Also, please tell me what "Affordable" means? I know what it means to me, but I'd be interested in learning what it means to others here. Is $15K affordable, $20K? $25K? What does "affordable" mean?

btw... Presently I own 4 Pickups two are 1/2 ton trucks, one is a 3/4 ton, and one is a 1 ton. with bed lengths of 5-1/2 feet to 8 feet. ALL of them get better tan 20 MPG.

I think Ford is discontinuing the Ranger and building a mid size F-100. Of course this is just hear-say.

Been hearsay for quite a while, too. Hell, that was going around in the Ford trade magazines at the last dealership I worked at, back in '09.

I personally believe the demise of the small truck was due to the fact that the manufacturers themselves blurred the lines between small and big trucks. The small trucks kept getting bigger, and more expensive, where most buyers would simply opt for the bigger truck. If they made a true small truck, (think D50) at a small truck price (under 20K) I think plenty of people would buy them, most truck buyers really do not need a big truck. JMO.

I personally believe the demise of the small truck was due to the fact that the manufacturers themselves blurred the lines between small and big trucks. The small trucks kept getting bigger, and more expensive, where most buyers would simply opt for the bigger truck. If they made a true small truck, (think D50) at a small truck price (under 20K) I think plenty of people would buy them, most truck buyers really do not need a big truck. JMO.

There is no such thing as a "small truck price". Looking at similarly equipped and body styles of large and small Dodges, Chevies, Fords, Toyotas and Nissans, There is only a small difference in price in the Regular cab, short bed, no frills trucks. A stripper full size and a stripper pint size are furthest apart, price wise. Once you start going to extended cabs, crew cabs, and loading up the options in full size 1/2 ton trucks and small trucks, the prices start to get closer to each others.
It's only when you factor in 3/4 ton, 1 ton, and diesel engines that the full size truck prices start to leave the small truck prices behind.

Go price yourself Ram and a Dakota with the same options.
Or a Chevy and a Colorado with the same options.

You really have to get to the point where your loading up the full size truck before you start getting a big spread in prices between full size and pint size in any brand.

You're bein like the guy in the cursive thread. You make some valid and correct points, but there's more to the buying demographic than just you. I think there would be a niche for a small, RWD and possibly even 4WD truck, regardless of the price difference. Some people just don't want or need a full size truck, even if it may be the smarter thing to do financially.

There is no such thing as a "small truck price". Looking at similarly equipped and body styles of large and small Dodges, Chevies, Fords, Toyotas and Nissans, There is only a small difference in price in the Regular cab, short bed, no frills trucks. A stripper full size and a stripper pint size are furthest apart, price wise. Once you start going to extended cabs, crew cabs, and loading up the options in full size 1/2 ton trucks and small trucks, the prices start to get closer to each others.
It's only when you factor in 3/4 ton, 1 ton, and diesel engines that the full size truck prices start to leave the small truck prices behind.

Go price yourself Ram and a Dakota with the same options.
Or a Chevy and a Colorado with the same options.

You really have to get to the point where your loading up the full size truck before you start getting a big spread in prices between full size and pint size in any brand.

I think there would be a niche for a small, RWD and possibly even 4WD truck, regardless of the price difference. Some people just don't want or need a full size truck, even if it may be the smarter thing to do financially.

The "El's" pretty much proved that for years.

Along with the Brat, the Scamp/Rampage, the Baja... they weren't big sellers, but there's a niche market for 'em. Whether it can marketed right and become a seller... well, we'll see.

Personally, I don't see a lot of guys around here detaching from their "manhood" to buy one, even though it would make sense. More trucks around here are just driven. Never worked, never off the road. Don't dare ask one of these guys to put something in the box.

Myself, I don't have a lot of use for anything with less than an 8 foot box. I like to be able to put a standard sheet of plywood or drywall in the truck and close the gate. But that's me.

-
Back