rhoads lifters?

-

jaxle

Reaction score
any one ever used rhoads lifters? i was thinkin about putting a set in to strengthen my lower end torque/HP and vacuum. i also figured it would be easier than pulling the converter and having it reworked for a few more RPMs. my cam has about 4000 miles on it so will that matter as to whether i can change lifters?

I have them in my 340 and they seem to work great, especially with a bigger cam. It still has the lopy sounds and is very drivable on the street, lots of low end tourqe. They claim to have a slight HP gain too. If it were up to me, I would install a new cam, the lifters can be expensive, it would be a bummer if the used cam wore them out. You should be ok putting in new lifters, just make sure to use plenty of cam break in lube!

Yes they do work. As rpm climbs they don't have time to 'bleed down'. And you have the full specs of your cam. Remember...if you use a hi-pressure oil pump, it will reduced their effectivness.
Terry.

From what Ive read/heard from comp and others is not to use them with agressive profile cams such as the xe.

Well the rhoads were designed for crutching a big cam on the street when lobes were very basic,you got more torque and better idle/throttle response on the street with the higher bleed down rate of the lifter at low rpm,but around 3k or higher they are fully pumped.The newer agressive profiled lobes build more cylinder psi down low already to give you better vaccum/driveability and idle,so when you combine that with the rhoads lifters you run the risk of creating too much dynamic compression and detonating.Also since the lobes are more agressive the rhoads tend to make alot of noise,if your starting from scratch your really better off to pick a modern cam with the right rpm range to begin with.

if your starting from scratch your really better off to pick a modern cam with the right rpm range to begin with.

Best advice yet!!!!!!!

I installed a set in my M.P. 360 short block with the (.509) cam and had problems from the start,the lifters pumped up on start up and never blead back down.I installed them with adjustable rocker arms set up to there instructions and once they pumped up they stayed pumped up.The only way I could get the plunger to colapse was to remove the lifter and take the snap ring off,take the plunger out and dump out the oil inside the lifter,reinstall the plunger and the lifter would function again,meaning I could colapse the plunger again,now even with the lifters out of the engine all 16 lifters were fully pumped up and would not colapse until they were taken apart and put back together.I never saw anything like this happen before. I didn't put them back until I talk to someone at Rhoads and find out what happened.Well that's my experience with them.

Roger

I had a set in a 360 in my 77 Dodge pickup with 284 cam. When the weather was cold they clattered like crazy until the needle on the temp gauge moved. The engine had good oil pressure at idle and especially when cold. They would even occasionally clatter when it was warmed up. Checked and re-checked my adjustable rocker arms. Solution...put 'em back in the box and place them in the attic of my garage. I replaced them with some PAW lifters which were quiet and I didn't notice a bit of difference in performance.

-
Back