RHS X heads VS Edelbrock? 390 Stroker VS 5.7 Hemi?

-

johnparts

Slammed 1
Reaction score
Ok I'm going over my plans for the heart of the Scamp and I'm torn between doing a 390 Stroker and a 5.7 Hemi so I need some quick questions answered before I drop any coin on parts.

Does anyone have experience with the new RHS 360X heads from Indy? If so how do they compare to the Edelbrock heads?

What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? I'm doing the math and the two combo's are very close in dollars and cents so it's mearly a cool factor thing to me.

Frank from Super Engine's says he can do a 390 Stroker in my 318 block that with a good head and cam combo could pump out around 425-450 Horse

I know a Stroked 5.7 could put out those numbers But that then puts the Hemi out of the price range.

So 1974 Scamp with a Sleeper 390 Stroker that looks like a 318? or 1974 Scamp with a carbed 5.7 that sounds mean but lacks real power?

Lacks power? Nothing a supercharger can't fix!

This is your call, it's a bit tuff, I'd go old school considering I have such parts (Or most needed) to do a old school engine.

The differences are huge. That LA based engine drops in. Runs anything for exh and manifolding, and is nothing close to rocket science n terms of things like belts, hoses, wiring, etc. I think to simply install a 5.7L new Hemi for looks and not retain the electronic controls is pretty stupid. So if it were me, I'd go LA, or save up more and do the late model Hemi "correctly". Meaning EFI, OD trans, the handling stuff, etc.

see the other side of the coin is I have all the stuff for the smallblock stroker IE timing cover oil pan intake manifold carb. Thats where the money comes in. Also I like the idea of doing a carbed 5.7 it's not for looks I want to eventually do a EFI conversion But having worked with the new gen hemi so much I know that there is still some research being done out there that needs to be finished before I can inject the thing without dealing with a ton of headaches. I plan on this thing being a driver not a race car but who doesn't like the sound of a lopey stroker and the idea of knowing if I feel like going to the track I just need to swap tires when I get there.

I say go 390 stroker.....I'm sure they are untold headaches and nightmares associated with doing the 5.7, I mean, compared with the LA. Wiring, sensors, exhaust, fuel pump and wiring, custom radiator?.....mounts?......trans?...mounts?....custom driveline?.....I'll bet it'll be a lot more money in the long run than the 390, once it all said and done.

I say go with a 390. It will definitely be cheaper, and it bolts right in...I seriously think and hope you darn well better be getting more power than 425-450 HP with a 390. A nicely warmed over stock stroke .030 over bore 318 can produce those numbers, with the right heads/cam...but anyways, go with the 390, it'll be a good engine...and you'll make good power...

I would do a 390, you can also check with OPEL eng in Streamwood IL they are big time mopar guys

The 390 is fun when people ask "Is that still the 318?" When you fire it up they get a puzzled look trying to figure out what they are hearing.

-
Back