Rod selection 440.

-

1967formulaS

Reaction score
So now that I have some TRW forged pistons, the engine guy said I might as well get some forged H beam rods.
In my price range,I'm looking at the following.
Eagle, scat, 440 source.
Slightly more expensive are molar and K1.
Looking for stock 6.760" and STD 990 pin.
Any suggestions appreciated.
I'm leaning towards the eagle rods, but the 440 source ones have alot of info about the rods on their page, but I have never used them before.
I'll be spinning this 440 no more than 6500rpm.

dad's motor uses a 440 source rotating assembly. all is holding up well, I shift it at 6500

I've heard nothing but good about 440 source.

For both of my 440's I used factory rods. Beam polished, shot peened with ARP wave loc bolts. I turn 6500 without issue.

what is the part number on the piston? most if not all trw pistons use the standard 440 size wrist pin = 1.094". and most trw pistons do not have clips for floating rods. stock rods are forged, and magnaflux checked and with new bolts are fine for 6500

Correction. yep 1.0939 pins. my bad.
L2355f+30

what is the part number on the piston? most if not all trw pistons use the standard 440 size wrist pin = 1.094". and most trw pistons do not have clips for floating rods. stock rods are forged, and magnaflux checked and with new bolts are fine for 6500

The engine guy said that by the time he preps the rods including new arp fasteners, I'll be up for 500-600, so for an extra 150-200, I'm better off with new rods.

last time I checked the L2355f does not have grooves for clips

I think you are correct, unless they have updated the piston. It's a press fit deal.

The OP may be able to, MIGHT be able to find a rod that had a press fit small end.

Any of the rods you mentioned are good rods. In fact, they probably came out of the same factory.

The engine guy said that by the time he preps the rods including new arp fasteners, I'll be up for 500-600, so for an extra 150-200, I'm better off with new rods.

If you are going to have him do all the work I'm pretty certain that is true. The beam polishing is a very time intensive process. I did my own. I wouldn't want to be paying for someone to sit there and do that.

Seems high to prep the stock rods but ideas of what "fully prepped" means varies. If you use Source rods (or anyone elses really) make sure they are cycled with the proper thread lube and then the big ends checked. I've yet to have a set that did not need to be honed to make them round once properly torqued. Also the pin ends generally need to be checked for enough pin clearance.

My rods arrived today,
Looks like they should do the job.

DSC_0267.JPG

DSC_0269.JPG

if the trw pistons do not have clip grooves, they can be machined for clips

Spoke to my engine guy, he said to exchange the rods for press fit ones instead of converting the pistons. Problem is, I can't find any aftermarket rods that use a press fit 1.094 pin, they are all floating style so far. I should have looked at this before I bought my pistons. :(

Maybe I should **** can this assembly and get a set of 440 source pistons and rods in a 990 pin?

Natal, looked at that idea and it's too expensive now.

New plan with the engine builder.
Buy a set of icon forged plus 030 pistons to suit my new rods and have em at 2.067 comp height. Add a set of alloy 72cc heads and a 509 style cam and lifters but in solid roller and a set of 1.6 roller rockers.
I think this gives me 10.5:1 am I correct? If they are in the hole at 0.015" - my rods are stock dimensions 440.

maybe ask a good engine shop to magnaflux the stock rods, lightly sand them, shotpeen, new bolts, size the big end-done and fine for 6500

maybe ask a good engine shop to magnaflux the stock rods, lightly sand them, shotpeen, new bolts, size the big end-done and fine for 6500

Hi mate,
Yep spoke to him and he said 550-600 plus the cost of the arp bolts. **** is expensive down here.
For the extra 150, I'm going to get the icon pistons and keep scat rods.

Well,
Pistons should be here next week.
Spoke to a family mopar friend and he has a set of Victor style heads I can have for $1000 for the pair - bare.

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1857.jpg

-
Back