Roller cam

-

75dartsport

Reaction score
Thinking of going with the cam listed below in my rebuilt 340. Question I have is, why does a roller cam require a bronze distributor gear? I don't see it I guess. Where the gears mesh the cams seem to be the same. Let me know the reasoning. And also does this seem like a pretty good cam?

Bronze gear is supposed to be used with a billet - not cast - cam. Or so I was told. Mine came from Summit.

Thinking of going with the cam listed below in my rebuilt 340. Question I have is, why does a roller cam require a bronze distributor gear? I don't see it I guess. Where the gears mesh the cams seem to be the same. Let me know the reasoning. And also does this seem like a pretty good cam?

Which camshaft?

Billet cores do not play well with std distributor gears. If you want one gear to wear out, you want the one that is replacable to go. Hard to replace a worn out distributor drive gear on a camshaft.

If the core is a cast or has a pressed on gear, you may not need a bronze dist gear.

Thanks guys. Has anyone here dealt with the kb243 pistons. Not sure yet how much piston to valve clearance im gonna have.

Call/E-mail Lunati about the cam and what gear needs it has.

Find a cam with a cast iron gear on the cam. That was you can use a harden intermiate shaft and won't have to rip into your motor all the time. The bronze gear was designed for racers that was always ripping into the motor and rebuilding them.

I have a full roller setup in my motor (cam, lifter, rockers).

ANother question will running a roller lifter require any block modifications? I have heard that some have had to modify the lifter bore due to oiling issues?

ANother question will running a roller lifter require any block modifications? I have heard that some have had to modify the lifter bore due to oiling issues?

Depends on the lifters you use. I have Hughes drop in lifter and required no mods.

Do you know if the lunati lifters require any mods?

That I don't know, but if using hyd roller Hughes works but if going solid roller one of the engine builders on the site (MRL if I'm not mistaken) has them for solid.

-
Back