Santa brought me the Ron Francis XP-777

-

Ottmundr

68 Fastback
Reaction score
The Ron Francis XP-777 wiring kit.

To those of you who have installed it, where did you put the fuse block, and about how long did the install take? I won't be able to install it for a week or so since I need to order the wiring to hook up the Denso 60 amp alternator.

IMG_20171226_173937.jpg
IMG_20171226_173959.jpg

Looks good. I would run it.

I put mine under the passenger dash behind the glove box. But I don’t have a heater and the battery is in the trunk... I also moved the starter relay and voltage regulator to the passenger kick panel, and ran my headlight and elec fan wiring under the fender to clean up the engine bay.

Install took me a few wks of chipping away a few hrs here and there in the eve. My suggestion would be to invest in good crimpers and shrink wrap.

Joe

0EF6C2BA-82D5-42B7-8393-852CFD3040F0.jpeg

I installed the xp-68 (express) in an old dodge truck...it's the same kit..in fact most of the kits by RF are mostly/exactly the same (that's what the RF employee told me first hand). Similar to what was mentioned, it took me about 2 weeks to install most of it a few hours at a time and then I took a break for a couple of weeks then finished in a couple of long hour marathons. This is including taking out my old wiring carefully. I bought the S&G ratchet crimpers that comes with about 5 sets quick change crimps and a nice case (there is a quick change model and regular)...Good crimps and the best bang for the buck I found after searching. A pair of regular "Klein" long handle crimps was handy too but not necessary. 3m with shrink wrap with the glue inside is superior to the others.
I reused some of Mopars connectors but used the GM connector supplied at the steering wheel. I used the GM headlight switch supplied. Made my own wiper harness from left over wire using the mopar connectors. I installed mine behind the glovebox and beneath it used the very flexible rubber/aluminum flashing with the sticky backside. The big box home improvement stores have it. It's good stuff bc when you drill through the firewall, etc., it seals the hole. Get you a good variety pack of grommets. A very small screwdriver or better yet harbor freight has a small (orange colored handles) "pick set" that looks like a variety of dental tools for a few bucks that work well for removal of the mopar connectors.
I recommend not taking a break in the middle of the process but with the way the bags are broken up, its possible to do without too much confusion. There are only a couple of places where the directions will have you skip a part then come back to later but the order is nice and my favorite thing about the kit. If you need more wire, don't go cheap...use the same txl wire...a good place/price to get it is wirebarn. I installed speedhut gauges and also used a MSD box which I installed (very tight fit) on the drivers side kick panel to the left of the brake pedal.
I was also glad to do away with the bulkhead connector. I made a plate to cover up the hole. Being organized and thinking ahead a couple of steps ahead about what I was doing and the placement of the wires took up most of my time. It was my first time wiring an entire vehicle and minimal wiring before this and I learned a great deal. I had a lot of fun with it. RF makes a nice harness.

fuse box mount.jpg

weather seal.jpg

forgot to mention...IMO, it's good to have centralized ground stations connected directly to the negative terminal of the battery. I accomplished this by two ground stations arranged in a "daisy chain" from the battery to a drivers side inner fender mounted bus station that grounds all components from the firewall forward to the headlights which is then connected to another bus station under the dash that is a central station for all grounds from the firewall to the tail lights. Grounds are not the source of all electrical problems but they are half of them. It's nice to go to two points for all grounds on the vehicle...and even one depending on where your problem is located. So I have ground wire for as far back as the tail lights, etc running all the way from the back of the vehicle to this bus bar under the dash. The entire vehicle is grounded through these two bus stations. RF sells one..overpriced in my opinion but nice..I have it on the inner fender. I have another brand under the dash. Brass connectors/surfaces for both. You probably already know all this wiring this stuff....just sharing what I did. Good luck with it!

Last edited:
I used the hinge that they sell now to mount it under the dash under the glove box. Once mounted it tucks up and out of the way. The best piece of advice I can give is run every thing to where it needs to go but don't cut or terminate anything until it's all in place. If you need to tape notes to things so you remember, do so. You will probably reroute a few things before you are done and this way makes sure you don't come up short on wire anywhere.

-
Back