SB 360 oil priming

-

gilberttitan08

Mexican Hillbilly!!!
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. Got a question on 360 LA oiling/priming. I know on Mopar SB as you turn the crank, the oiling sequence alternates at the heads, is there a position at the crank/cam that both heads get oiled? I can’t find the sweet spot where oil gets diverted to both heads. Or is it foo error?

Did both side get oil as you were turning the pump and you rotated the engine? If so, HOMERUN! Proceed with the build.

Did both side get oil as you were turning the pump and you rotated the engine? If so, HOMERUN! Proceed with the build.
Yes, both sides got oiled. As I turned the crank. But should both sides get oiled at the same time after turning the crank? That’s what gets me, so the oiling sequence strictly alternates from one head to the other?

even at an idle, the oil will seem to be flowing at both rocker assemblies at the same flow. You turning the crank at 2 RPM's is only turning the cam at 1 rpm.

Compliments of @Rapid Robert......

the drivers head oils at 20 ATDC #6 compression and the pass head oils at 90 deg (1/4 turn) BTDC #1 compression. this'll minimize the crank turning. I like to do the pass head then go CCW back around (EDIT meant to say "to then oil the dr head" then back up a bit more from 20 ATDC to 15-20 BTDC #6 compression for the initial) & get the rotor under the #6 plug wire. good luck on the purchase & as said confirm that everything is oiled that is supposed to be oiled. You only get one shot to have a good cam breakin & I would want high zinc oil. RR

-
Back