sbp wheels cause high brake temp?

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
was talkin to my buddy at big o today. mentiond i have a 360v8 i plan to put in my car. i wanna keep my cars wheels so i need sbp rear axle 8 3/4 to take the power. he says itd be better to change to lbp and get new wheels so the brakes can cool better with more horsepower of a v8

any truth to this? i really dont want to change to lbp since thatll cost an arm and a leg, and then some, to convert everything

I'm no expert but I would say you don't need the large bolt pattern wheels. I have also ran 360 hp crate motor with small lug pattern wheels and no problems.

However if your going road racing I would say yes change out to the large lug pattern wheels and bigger brakes.

I'm more concerned with the brake size than the heat issue on the street. Hopefully the car has at least the 10" drum brakes and not the 9" that came with the 6 cylinder cars.

Back in the day a well set up 340 A body with disc's up front could easily brake as good as a Mustang or Corvette. It had too! Them 340's hauled good stock and the customer usually upgraded them the day after with ho po stuff. Was easy to create a low 13 sec street car.

im goin to upgrade to discs up front and bigger drums in back (since i have a /6 so prolly 9" drums all around). he give me the whole "ive been doin this 40+ years" schpeil. xactly whats you definition of roadrace though?

I`ve never heard of brakes cooling better based on the diameter of the bolt pattern??? I`m not quite sure what your buddy may be referring to. The only thing I can think of is the A-body 8.75"`s come equipped with 1.75" shoes. If you went with alternate backing plates and the later model big bolt pattern drums you could pick up a larger shoe and in theory less heat. Using the small bolt pattern is fine for your 360 though, MA MOPAR used it with 383 and 440 cars. The downside is there are just very few wheels with the small pattern.

well, my wheels ARE sbp :-D and im sure down the road when i want a change, i could find Mopar rallys in sbp. otherwise ill just keep my wheels, the compliment the body nicely. alright well thank you for settling that. he gave me a scare! i get to keep my "low budget" low....ish

was talkin to my buddy at big o today. mentiond i have a 360v8 i plan to put in my car. i wanna keep my cars wheels so i need sbp rear axle 8 3/4 to take the power. he says itd be better to change to lbp and get new wheels so the brakes can cool better with more horsepower of a v8

any truth to this? i really dont want to change to lbp since thatll cost an arm and a leg, and then some, to convert everything
TOTAL BS!

Ask yourself a question: Do you believe that Chrysler would under-build the wheels, brakes(including the brake venting/cooling) and suspension on cars with high performance engines like 340s, 360s and 383s? Not likely, Chrysler was all about over-building the capacity of these systems, and that's primarily why Chrysler is revered for it's engineering prowess.

Pretty sure the big O guy was concerned with your 9" drum brakes. The 8 3/4 rear end will have 10" brakes converting the front to disk also would be a good thing. Most important thing to remember is your 9" brakes are going to be lacking in their ability to stop your car with the extra weight and power of that 360 engine.

Pretty sure the big O guy was concerned with your 9" drum brakes. The 8 3/4 rear end will have 10" brakes converting the front to disk also would be a good thing. Most important thing to remember is your 9" brakes are going to be lacking in their ability to stop your car with the extra weight and power of that 360 engine.

Thanks for clearing that up! It all makes sense now! Definitely get some discs on that bad boy!

Thanks for clearing that up! It all makes sense now! Definitely get some discs on that bad boy!

Oh you bet! the 360 should be pushin round 250-275 (hopefully) when i finish building it. so discs are a must, since according to online 1/4 mile calculators, the car will run 13.7ish! someone on this forum said his friend got 350hp and 19mpg on his 360. id like to get that kind of mileage, but 350hp is way overkill for me

perhaps he was thinking SBP= small wheel bearings? disk brakes+ hard driving & hard braking = more heat, high heat + small bearings= better chance of bearing failure ? just a thought

This what I was going to say. Sure 9" drum brakes will create more heat than 10" or Disc's in the front and 10" in the rear. But to say the smaller bolt pattern has anything to do with it? I gotta throw the BS flag on that one.

well hes a friend, but hes still a mechanic. we met him by goin to the same place for 15 years. they are strictly business friends, so im not gonna call him on it for tryin to sell me more than i need. Guys gotta make money right? however, im glad to be reassured i dont need to change :cheers: i figured he was BS'n me but dnt hurt to b double sure, right?

You are strictly talking about the bolt pattern here correct? I can not see how it would affect cooling in any way, shape or form. A 14" SBP rim is the same 14" as a 14" LBP rim. The only thing the bolt pattern affects is how far apart the lugs are spaced. The LBP has the lugs spaced an extra 1/4", I can't see how that affects cooling at all. I think there is either some confusion or something has been lost in translation. Larger rims, drums, rotors would all aid in cooling. Just my 2 cents.

That answer of his has got be near the top of the funny list....

FYI-- mustangs, corvettes, and a bodies all shared the same KH calipers, although some had banjo fittings and some had straight hose fittings. They were a 2 piece caliper. ALL streetable rotors are VENTED.

That answer of his has got be near the top of the funny list....

FYI-- mustangs, corvettes, and a bodies all shared the same KH calipers, although some had banjo fittings and some had straight hose fittings. They were a 2 piece caliper. ALL streetable rotors are VENTED.

so are you saying i could use mustang or corvette disc brakes on my car? any year specific?

Not so fast, mounting could be different. Though I wonder about this.....

huh?

wheel choice [slots/vents] will cool more than simply increasing wheel diameter.jmo
and over that...larger rotors and better fluid.

in fact when you go bigger wheel/tire size than stock or designed for, the braking efficiency go down.=rotational mass increase.

so are you saying i could use mustang or corvette disc brakes on my car? any year specific?

I'm using the K/hayes disc up front with 10" drums, SBP at all 4 corners and a BB and do not have any problems and yes it's been down the strip a few times. This is the first I've heard of overheating problems with SBP wheels and can only wonder if the Dodge and Plymouth engineers figured on this when they put the 340 in the Dusters and Demons with the SBP Rallye wheels. Sorry but I'd have to say that your friend is pulling your wanker.:toothy8:

Also quite often members will put complete Kelsey Hayes brakes systems and spindels up for sale here so keep a weather eye.

Disk brake wheels are different than drum brake wheels. Disk wheels have two stamped rings where the wheel contacts the rotor while the drum wheels have 5 flat areas around the lugs where the wheel conacts the drum. This was to prevent rotor warpage from excessive heat. I know the plain steel wheels are like this but I'm not sure about ralley wheels though so it might not be total bs.

-
Back