shots from the garage...

-
Do you have any video of your car running, it sure is a great looking car

Do you have any video of your car running, it sure is a great looking car
I really don’t have much…. Mostly stuff I’ve gotten of Facebook that friends shot. That and some launch stuff from my crew chief. It photos well but it is a bare bones race car. The interior is stripped. Underhood was painted silver when my dad had it (helped lighting while working on it….and it does do that!). No headliner. My dad unfortunately sold the interior stuff. It was my car that i acquired in a trade in 94 that we immediately rid of the /6 and went with a 73 v8 K and a stockish 340. My dad had a friend of mine paint it….. $3k paint job he kept saying. Well my buddy kept calling and reported stuff he’d find and I just kept giving him the “go”. Think the paint/body ended up about $7500 (laughable today) but it was top shelf and still looks great today. My wife and I moved to AZ in 96 and left the car up north. My dad “adopted” it and it became more and more a race car. I got it back from him in 2012 when he hung up his helmet. Had a 9 sec capable W5 mill by then.

I really don’t have much…. Mostly stuff I’ve gotten of Facebook that friends shot. That and some launch stuff from my crew chief. It photos well but it is a bare bones race car. The interior is stripped. Underhood was painted silver when my dad had it (helped lighting while working on it….and it does do that!). No headliner. My dad unfortunately sold the interior stuff. It was my car that i acquired in a trade in 94 that we immediately rid of the /6 and went with a 73 v8 K and a stockish 340. My dad had a friend of mine paint it….. $3k paint job he kept saying. Well my buddy kept calling and reported stuff he’d find and I just kept giving him the “go”. Think the paint/body ended up about $7500 (laughable today) but it was top shelf and still looks great today. My wife and I moved to AZ in 96 and left the car up north. My dad “adopted” it and it became more and more a race car. I got it back from him in 2012 when he hung up his helmet. Had a 9 sec capable W5 mill by then.
That's awesome, I have no issues with stripped down race cars and I'm building one as well. I always like to see how people put their drag cars together and parts used. It kind of gives me an idea of what mine can be. I am building for a 10.00 car .

with forecasts at the track nearing triple digits we’re putting the toy away for the summer. We’ll swing through Colorado next month and pick up the new 904.

as a bracket guy this was probably the crossroads where I should have followed the masses and went “glide”….. but here I am!! . Was nice to meet up with Chris and hopefully I’ll find the power to get my lazy a** under the car and swap away! It was not an upgrade for the faint of heart ($$), but has all the upgrades for reliability behind my small block. I was going to have it built with no t-brake and just swap in my Pro-Trans one, but in the spirit of lazy/ease of swap I’m now a first time A&A trans brake owner! I’m also considering having another converter built to see if we can go back to the slower, but more consistent 60 times.

5EAAA9E3-0397-488D-9625-A1AB368ED8C9.jpeg

as a bracket guy this was probably the crossroads where I should have followed the masses and went “glide”….. but here I am!! . Was nice to meet up with Chris and hopefully I’ll find the power to get my lazy a** under the car and swap away! It was not an upgrade for the faint of heart ($$), but has all the upgrades for reliability behind my small block. I was going to have it built with no t-brake and just swap in my Pro-Trans one, but in the spirit of lazy/ease of swap I’m now a first time A&A trans brake owner! I’m also considering having another converter built to see if we can go back to the slower, but more consistent 60 times.

View attachment 1716107210
I haven't met Chris, but have talked with him and he is a stand up dude, great to do business with.

I haven't met Chris, but have talked with him and he is a stand up dude, great to do business with.
Yeah I found the “unobtanium“ output shaft, so I was going to buy the matching input and just upgrade my current 904, but then just said eff it and sent him a core and a few parts I’d bought from him and had a unit built. Looking forward to getting back out after the oven months.

Yeah I found the “unobtanium“ output shaft, so I was going to buy the matching input and just upgrade my current 904, but then just said eff it and sent him a core and a few parts I’d bought from him and had a unit built. Looking forward to getting back out after the oven months.
That's the way to go. I hate the oven months too.

The amount of times I have gone back and forth about putting a glide in my car makes my head spin.

I jumped in with two feet when I bought Gene Nagy’s old street car. (82 dodge charger) I made some crazy changes real fast. 727 out, powerglide in.

23D5FA9C-B10E-43E7-9CE0-BF1E710C9ECD.jpeg

CB1FDDE1-77F8-45D6-8227-CC06A75183B2.jpeg

Well….. get in the garage at 5 am. Opened all the doors as the outside temp was slightly less that inside. I’m not sure a trans r/r has EVER gone so smoothly. Everything clicked!! Converter swapped over and slid right in. jacked trans up (I use a Craftsman motorcycle jack) and it FELL on the dowels!! Just have to order some flex plate bolts (thought I had some…. only use them twice), and some fluid. Guess I could have put the driveshaft on but I got a good two months to button it up. 114 out, 92 in the garage….. it pool time.
I run a “stud/nut“ configuration on the right side. Allows trans removal and leave the oil filter in place.

CAF0F4EC-FA61-41C1-9084-E92029D6920A.jpeg

D82157CF-DBE2-440D-8BD7-B4ED213ED076.jpeg

DB15FBFD-2F63-4E62-8210-D60038AA2327.jpeg

134AF8F9-10CE-4AB4-9248-5B1AFE95048B.jpeg

D142F8C0-8923-48ED-BEC1-A9EF0B2470D3.jpeg

Well….. get in the garage at 5 am. Opened all the doors as the outside temp was slightly less that inside. I’m not sure a trans r/r has EVER gone so smoothly. Everything clicked!! Converter swapped over and slid right in. jacked trans up (I use a Craftsman motorcycle jack) and it FELL on the dowels!! Just have to order some flex plate bolts (thought I had some…. only use them twice), and some fluid. Guess I could have put the driveshaft on but I got a good two months to button it up. 114 out, 92 in the garage….. it pool time.
I run a “stud/nut“ configuration on the right side. Allows trans removal and leave the oil filter in place.

View attachment 1716109557

View attachment 1716109559

View attachment 1716109560

View attachment 1716109561

View attachment 1716109563
Bonus, Looks like you could get a little more weight off the car by scraping that under coating too ..it's really easy when it's hot out

i‘m betting with the right converter the glide would be very similar.
I would tend to disagree, as every one of my customers that has gone from a 3 speed to a glide have all slowed down. This in 600-750hp, 2800-3200lb combos.
Nine times out of ten, a 3 speed will be quicker in a car--unless the car weighs 1800 lbs and makes 1000hp. Notice how I said car and not dragster, altered, or roadster. :)
(Disclaimer: this is just my opinion, and my experience over the last several decades).

with forecasts at the track nearing triple digits we’re putting the toy away for the summer. We’ll swing through Colorado next month and pick up the new 904.
Jay, nice meeting you bud.. thanks for allowing me to build your trans.
:)

I would tend to disagree, as every one of my customers that has gone from a 3 speed to a glide have all slowed down. This in 600-750hp, 2800-3200lb combos.
Nine times out of ten, a 3 speed will be quicker in a car--unless the car weighs 1800 lbs and makes 1000hp. Notice how I said car and not dragster, altered, or roadster. :)
(Disclaimer: this is just my opinion, and my experience over the last several decades).

This is what I’ve heard too. A super stock racer I was friends with paid 1000’s of dollars years ago to have 904 parts put in his Camero

Sounds like he made that Camaro better. :D

The reality is, that the automatic package super stock and competition eliminator cars all use a version of the torqueflite, whether that is 904 parts in a chrysler 727 case, amc 727 case or gm T350 case.

Well we’re to the just add fluid and check line psi stage.…. as soon as cheap mopar guy orders some fluid! I’ve always had a supply of ATF4 from work, but we’re going with some “race” recommendations this go round.

AND!! ….. I got a cool video last night. My old spare W8 fired up in its new home between the rails of a dirt late model! Sold that 2 years ago and all I had for info were dyno sheets from 2012, so I basically sold it as a “core”. The buyer ran with it and threw it in and fired it up. hopefully it serves him well.

338DEC1F-60CC-42E4-99A6-4E149F337306.jpeg

Well we’re to the just add fluid and check line psi stage.…. as soon as cheap mopar guy orders some fluid! I’ve always had a supply of ATF4 from work, but we’re going with some “race” recommendations this go round.

AND!! ….. I got a cool video last night. My old spare W8 fired up in its new home between the rails of a dirt late model! Sold that 2 years ago and all I had for info were dyno sheets from 2012, so I basically sold it as a “core”. The buyer ran with it and threw it in and fired it up. hopefully it serves him well.

View attachment 1716112807
I have friends always trying to talk me into a power glide , for one thing to would cost a fortune , second : I would have to change to much : converter , driveshaft, rear gear etc. I have had great success with my 904s only having two problems in 35 years plus : once when we tried a low first gear set and second when I totally messed up the shifter adjustment , then again I have a really good Mopar mentor / transmission guy . I sold my R3 / Indy head 408 a month ago , it had a cracked crank and in reality needed a rocker update from the Indy setup that would have cost quite a few $ , I got a good price so I let it go

Well if there was any question to my sanity / stupidity I drank heavily and hit “buy it now” for some trans fluid. It’s not easy for a mopar guy to make such purchases, especially when you’ve had “free” from work since the beginning of time.

….and yes, I have a 727 torn apart. I was “persuaded“ into checking out this unit. While I don’t like doing this for others (no good deed goes unpunished) i decided to take a peak.….
very few passes on unit and looked pretty good inside. The .120” end play and .090 rear clutch clearance was a bit disconcerting. Old T/A manual valve body, 5.0 band lever (who does that anymore?!?), billet kickdown apply piston. AND of course it‘s now snowballed into a trans brake build with a billet front drum. Honestly if he balked at the drum I’d a had him come pick up his box of parts. Found my old Mirada 727 notes so I guess I’ll take a swing at this. At least I can keep the shed at 80-85 degrees if I run the A/C bright and early in the am.

IMG_3799.jpeg

IMG_3802.jpeg

-
Back