should i dropkick my kid brother for going into the garage?

-

slipyoke

Reaction score
Well guys first thing i want to say is i dont get on here enough, so much good info. Thank you guys for everything, saved me a few times now.

So i blew my 76 318 a few months ago. Kinda a good thing because now i have a good resun to rebuild it.i already had a bunch of machine work done to her. I have the engine mostly back together now. i am working on a budget so i found a nice doner engine that ive been taking all bolts out of to use on my rebuild. most of the work ive have been doing at my old mans place and have been teaching my 16 year old brother a thing or two as ive been working on it. I'll be damned if he gets into hondas like all of his yuppie friends. Well he thought he would make big bro proud and take all the bolts out him self while i was gone. He did a good job but now i dont know where a damn thing goes. God i was mad. anyway is there any chance that you guys may know where i could find an exploded viey or a list of bolts? thanks guys

I'm sorry I don't have any info for you but look at it this way it could have been worse.It could have been calling for a nasty hail storm while you were at work and you call your sister to move your car inside the garage and in the process she side swips the side of the garage from the front to the back of the car.Oh well what can you do?

Thats how i got started, tearing things apart, look at it this way, he didn't loose anything, nothing broke or got dropped & smashed, & you should be proud that he took the time to help you out & this stuff interest him, so theres more +++ then ---- in it all, if its just engine bolts, there not that hard to figure out, the head bolts are a no brainer, the VC & oil pan bolts are alike for the most part, the only tricky ones are for the timing cover/WP assembly, but they can be figured out, sorry for your mis-hap, but it could have been alot worse.

Looks like another chance for a bonding experience with your brother, kinda like putting a puzzle back together. Like JoeDust said, it shouldn't be that hard.

Looks like another chance for a bonding experience with your brother, kinda like putting a puzzle back together. Like JoeDust said, it shouldn't be that hard.

Exactly. He took it apart, now have him on hand when it goes back together to help you figure out where the bolts go. Good bonding experience for you both!

Many years ago the boss at the shop I worked at took apart a 2.2 from a Dodge min-van. Everything was piled on top of the bench in a random order. Then he decides to go on holidays and tells me to have it back together and in the van running when he gets back. Gee, thanks. I was not impressed at the time, but it was actually a good learning experience.

Good luck to you.

Wylde1.

Like others have said it's a good chance to make a great experience out it.

My old brother was painting his 66 charger back in '76. He came home one day to find his 9 year old brother (yours truly) squatting on the roof working on basketball size patch of bare metal with handful of 80 grit sandpaper. The car was already blocked and ready. He describes a similar conflict of feelings.

I don't have any siblings, but when I was a kid, we had some friends living with us for a month or so while they had a house built. While I was at school, the little red-headed ****** they called son used my model paint and painted all my OLD Matchbox cars and trucks that I had inherited from my dad. To say I was pissed was an understatement. They didn't even scold the boy.

I wouldn't feel too bad about it, at least he is
showing some interest in old iron.
Nows the time to let him help with your project,
the knowledge and experience shared will last
you both a lifetime.

I am the oldest of 7 brothers, believe me when I
tell you nothing was ever the same as I left it.
Sharing a tool box with them was an experience.
Sharing a 1/2 or 9/16 wrench between all of us
was a lesson in tolerance!

I had a 70 Ford Torino 429 SCJ 4 speed that I never did
find out how 2nd gear disappeared in.
Nobody would fess up.
I'm 52 now and they finally told me they were all in it doing
burnouts when it let go, all 6 of them!
That was 33 years ago, they were afraid to tell me,
thought I'd still be mad.
WE LAUGHED OUR ASSES OFF when they did.:love7:
Thats just one in a hundred stories I could tell.

I don't have any siblings, but when I was a kid, we had some friends living with us for a month or so while they had a house built. While I was at school, the little red-headed ****** they called son used my model paint and painted all my OLD Matchbox cars and trucks that I had inherited from my dad. To say I was pissed was an understatement. They didn't even scold the boy.

...gee, I am not sure what happened to him, looks to me like he may have fell down...maybe he fell down a couple of times...8)

Well you guys are right. Me and the young one will have a good time putting her back together anyway. like yall said just lucky he didnt loose or bust anything.

i sure wish i had a little brother to help me clean my corolla( i know, i sound like a punk, but its all i have right now) its usually just me and the car. it would be fun if someone would help me cough* dad cough*.. anyways, i think it would be a great experience for you and your brother :)

mike

lol be thankful. timing chain skipped a couple teeth in my ramcharger and ended up getting a good deal on an 89 roller cam motor to replace the 76 hydraulic lifter engine.(84 ramcharger, original motor had bearings that were extremely loose and was replaced a year after I bought it) Anyways, I regasketed the motor and had it sitting in the garage(ran in for a bite) and I come out and my brother and his friend are grinding away at some welds on a stupid motor scooter project and where are the sparks landing? right on the passenger side head that I had left open with no valve cover. I lost it. He damn near crapped his pants the look he had on his face.

it would be fun if someone would help me cough* dad cough*..
mike

Mike, have you talked to your dad about helping? My son is 17 and we work on his Jeep and my Dart together, just like my dad and I used to work on the old Ruster. You're only a teenager once, talk to him and let him know how you feel. Maybe start by asking him to help you with a small job, see how it goes.

My dad is gone now, but I cherish those memories of us in the driveway pulling engines. I would hate to hear about someone missing out on the same.

-
Back