Slant 6 727 Transmission

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Recently, I grabbed an early 60s (1961) slant 6 727 transmission. Cable shift, ball and trunnion flange. I got it because it had been there a while and the guy was getting ready to scrap it. Although I'll likely never use it for anything, I have it here and have plenty of room for it, so I thought why not. The more I looked at it, the more I remembered that Chrysler used V8 727 transmissions behind slant 6s early on with adapter plates and crankshaft spacers......so what gives? This came out of a 61 D100 short bed, step side. Obviously Chrysler made some slant 6 specific 727s early on, because I have one. What do yall know about them?

I have seen pictures of the iron adapters on the internet somewhere, but never in person. I restored a 61 w200 and wasnt aware of an automatic /6 option, maybe that was just on the 2wd models??

I have a 78 w100 with a slant and 727 in my boneyard, it is all aluminum- no adapter to the block and bolted to the 203 like normal.

Do you have any parts laying around for that 61? Some 1 year only stuff on those and very hard to find.

The slant 6 727 was definitely an industrial application as well as automotive. A good friend and knowledgeable Mopar guy remembers seeing propane powered slant 6's with 727's and narrowed 8 3/4 rears in the trams that shuttled people from parking to the front gate at World's of Fun amusement park in Kansas City in the early 90's. He was driving a Slant 6 Dart at the time. I can't remember if they had drive shafts or if the trans coupled directly to the axle, but I can ask. They were similar to the tugs that move aircraft around.

I had a 727 for a slant 6 several years ago. It sat in the back porch and I finally sold it off along with a 340 that needed sleeved and a complete 273 as well as pile of parts and pieces, this was in southwest Missouri in 2005. The guy paid $300 and got a truck load of Mopar stuff. Mine had a regular slip yoke output shaft, and it had a big G cast into the housing. A guy knew I was into slants and gave it to me. I don't think he remembered where he got it but he definitely knew nothing about it.

This was before a certain local @VOETOM wrote a good book about Chrysler transmissions, so I couldn't find the numbers in any of the lookups at the time.

Recently, I grabbed an early 60s (1961) slant 6 727 transmission. Cable shift, ball and trunnion flange. I got it because it had been there a while and the guy was getting ready to scrap it. Although I'll likely never use it for anything, I have it here and have plenty of room for it, so I thought why not. The more I looked at it, the more I remembered that Chrysler used V8 727 transmissions behind slant 6s early on with adapter plates and crankshaft spacers......so what gives? This came out of a 61 D100 short bed, step side. Obviously Chrysler made some slant 6 specific 727s early on, because I have one. What do yall know about them?
Can you post a picture of the trans. As far as I know the slant six 727 wasn't available until about 1968 (might be off one year). That trans did not have cable shift, or B&T flange. As you are aware, prior to the SS 727, Chrysler used the small block 727 with the adapter.
PS: Thinking about it, wonder (can't remember) what Mopar used prior to 1964 (first year of the LA engine).

it is all aluminum- no adapter to the block and bolted to the 203 like normal.
These 727's I have found in the wrecking yards on Dodge Vans often.But newer than 68 for sure.
A photo would be great. Maybe it was swapped into the truck at some time.
Rusty, My best guess is Industrial,but who knows ? I've said it before "Never say Never when it comes to Ma Mopar"

Wasn’t 61 the first year for the aluminum case? I bet the one rusty has was installed later in that d100, not original equipment. The one in the 78 I have I’m sure is original

Ok. Confusion ended. I went out there this mornin in the daylight and looked again. It's a big block transmission. So that ends that argument. LOL

Ok. Confusion ended. I went out there this mornin in the daylight and looked again. It's a big block transmission. So that ends that argument. LOL
That's a good score then too!
BTW, I had a '81 1/2 ton 2wd pickup with a slant 6 and a 727 in it...

I got back in touch with the guy. He said he unbolted it himself from the slant 6, so that means there's an adapter plate floatin around somewhere.

My 61 w200 had a sort of “universal” bellhousing. It has the slant and v8 bolt patterns. There is another set of holes maybe for the flathead six?

Im pretty sure whatever V8 bolted to it would need to have the early style longer 8 bolt flange. The slant had a weird offset flywheel that I had to remove first to unbolt the bellhousing. Kind of a pita.

not sure why I shared that but there ya go

My neighbor from around 78-80, had a 70 Dart with a slant, 727, and 8 3/4. He told me it was a trailer-towing pkg. He ordered it new.

That could be possible. I do know that slants with 727's were available for taxi and "fleet" use. I do, however question a 8 3/4 in a 1970 "A" body. Some body correct me if I'm wrong. In 1970 it either had small bolt pattern drum brakes or big bolt pattern disc brakes. I don't think the 8 3/4 "A" rear was available in 1970, and if it was, those rears were small bolt pattern. A 8 3/4 with big bolt pattern would have been too wide for the "A" body. If the car was ordered as "trailer towing", I think the LBP disc brakes would have been standard/mandatory
EDIT: I did some parts book checking. What I posted about the rear above is incorrect. 70-71 still had small bolt pattern KH disc brakes ( not the BBP single piston caliper). Also the 8 3/4 rear is listed in the parts book for the Valiant/Dart bodies. So as MMissile posed, that is a viable combination.

Last edited:
Yes,several years ago, I believe it was Mopar Collectors Guide did a article on a 1970 Valiant.
It was Black with blue interior. Painstakingly restored to OE specs.Slant 6. Not sure if it had a 727 but it did have a 8 3/4.
It had the front discs and 10'' rear brakes from what I remember.

-
Back