Slant 6 AC on a 440

-

sbh126

Reaction score
Having moved to North Carolina recently and being intruduced to the heat and humidity I have a sudden interest in getting AC. I found a slant 6 74 duster in my area with factory AC and was wondering how hard it would be to put it in my 74 duster with a 440. My car was not a factory AC car. I'm not to worried about it looking factory. I just want it to work. Suggestions?

My aunt and uncle live near a piggly wiggly and a DQ I think it was. There house looks like the one in your avatar. He was a career marine. In a gruff voice like Eastwoods in Gran Torino, he'd say, "2 miles to base just incase the old Dodge didn't start from some reason, I'd jog to work, can't be late ya know!"

It can be swapped over. Troublesome I beileve. You'll need everything including what is on the inside of the car from the back of the firewall. Then the hose's would need to be customed. There not in proper proportion. At least not on my /6 - 318 swap they werent.

For less hassle and probably not much more, you could most likely do an aftermarket system complete.

I think I know the area you are talking about. He must have worked on the air station. Thats were I'm stationed. Small world

I've been having trouble finding an AC kit for my year and model. Plus those kits cost almost as much as this guy wants for a drivable duster with lots of good parts.

Would be a much easier swap from a newport or imperial with a bb. The brackets and pulleys will be your pain without a bb donor

If I use all the under hood components from a new yorker and the under dash parts from the duster would that work?

The doner parts sounds low cost, you might consider checking or replacing the evap & heater cores before installing the doner evap under the dash to be sure they are not leaking.

Bocuhillion Performance offers Sanden comp brackets
& pulleys if needed, even an under the alt comp mount (must have an elect fuel pump)
http://bouchillonperformance.com/BPEaircondition.asp

Hot Rod Air, Vintage Air & Classic Auto Air all make universal fit evap units to mount in the dash if you
want to go that aftermarket route. Vintage Air also offers an all electronic ctl evap (the GEN IV), no vacumn lines or ctl pull cables to deal with. With elect ctls, you can stick them inside your console or glove box...

John

-
Back