Slant gets a Sniper EFI by the numbers.....

-
Pretty knowledgeable guy. Pretty nice job he's doing. Not a fan of the G.M. alt. though. :lol:

I watched this at about 2am. I have been on the fence about doing this to my slant. The reactions from these guys on videos like this are making me think it’s a good idea.

Good video....but that's a lot of dough to spend on one barrel.

One thing that was mentioned here, was fully automatic, unattended start. THAT is a real mouthful, and can be a REAL problem for gasoline gensets. Diesel, "a bit easier." I first had minor experience with this phenomenon in the Navy while maintaining GCA RADAR. We had two sites, one with the two QUAD RADAR, with one genset, and the other the so called FPN-52 and it's own genset. These are big trailer mounted diesel gensets. The completely annoying "sandcrab" would never cooperate. He would show up, unannounced, on a Sunday, go out on the field, and without telling anyone, would yank the disconnect to the line power, thus triggering a startup and switchover of the genset. This was always in VFR conditions, so if an AC had been on GCA final, it would have been training, not necessity, but still......................

Anyway, they start up, NO warmup. They have automatic monitors for temp, oil pressure, etc, but they start and ramp right up under load. Something on the order of 30 seconds, they have cranked, started, wound up to speed, and taken the load

One thing I'm not happy with in this video is the poor harness dress. It is IMPORTANT to think about EMI/ RFI, and ESPECIALLY when talking about...............well.............very high power electrical generator!!!! 30 KW high. If this was a welder, it might be even worse.

Dress the harnesses close to a ground area, the frame, body, or at least engine block, keep the EFI wiring away from high power circuits and secondary ignition wiring.

Holley makes a BBD version of the Sniper throttle body if you can find a Super 6 manifold. They also make a drop in, in tank fuel pump with built in regulator.

Probably talking $1800 for the kit, pump, filter and misc hardware plus the cost of a Super 6 manifold. I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze for a car but I can see it for something like a generator that you don't want to be screwing with at 2am in the snow.

If I want a dependable, especially fully automatic start genset, it won't be gasoline!!! LOL

I watched this at about 2am. I have been on the fence about doing this to my slant. The reactions from these guys on videos like this are making me think it’s a good idea.

My 2 cents. I put EFI on my first restoration. The $1000 price tag was attractive but you quickly learn the fuel system done right can suck up almost that again. The next 3 restorations have carbs. What I have learned. Getting the EFI tuned in can be exacerbating, the only difference between the 318 with EFI and the 318 with an Edelbrock that is precisely tuned is the EFI will start instantly after heat soaking and the carb needs to crank a bit. I find nothing better about the EFI other than that. When we pack up to go for long weekend trips I have a mechanical fuel pump and a carb kit in the tool box. The carb car will get home. The EFI car what happened if the electric fuel pump goes out? I can carry one but I can’t change it easily (in tank). What if the efi unit goes bad? Do I carry a second $1000 unit or have it towed hundreds of miles home? Don’t get me wrong the FITech has been trouble free for the last 5 years but… when won’t it be?

I was told by several back when I did power tour back in '09 and 10 that my driving a carbureted car with an $18 mechanical fuel pump was the best thing I could have had on such a long trip ..... I had no issues.
The car I drove in, still has it's lean burn on it to this day, also surprisingly gave me no issues then, though now is starting to flake out on me..... This spring that will be going away
Been there since 78 though.

I was told by several back when I did power tour back in '09 and 10 that my driving a carbureted car with an $18 mechanical fuel pump was the best thing I could have had on such a long trip ..... I had no issues.
The car I drove in, still has it's lean burn on it to this day, also surprisingly gave me no issues then, though now is starting to flake out on me..... This spring that will be going away
Been there since 78 though.
I replaced the Lean Burn system on my '79 Magnum with an MSD 6a box back in the early '90s and it really woke the car up, never had any issues with it either.

I'll play devils advocate here and ask this question, how often does a reputable fuel pump go out that's been plumbed correctly? Almost every single car on the road today has electronic fuel pumps, they're even computerized now. If you buy an Autozone clicker pump then yes I'd say you may be in for a rough time but that's the equivalent of buying a $20 Amazon carb.

-
Back