Slight speedo cable leak...and other questions

-
I have not had problems mixing type F with Dexron, but that was a long time ago when Dexron was just type 1. If it's not synthetic I don't see why mixing any Dexton would be a problem, but I'm not a ATF guru. Maybe TB knows more?

When your putting it in reverse and it's delayed engagement is this the first time in the morning when you fire it up to back out of the garage or all the time? Torqueflite's are prone to torque converter drain back when they sit overnight and since they bypass fluid in park it doesn't fill the converter. Without doing that it's sluggish the first time in the morning, or after it's sat for a few hrs. It's a general recommendation to pop it in neutral as soon as you start it up because in neutral it will fill the converter so it won't slip when you put it in gear.

Lockup transmissions have a different input shaft spline count and design so non-lockup converters won't fit in a lockup trans. and vice versa. They take the same fluid whether lockup or not. I'm out of idea's on the drain plug.

The last time I looked at a rubber gasket at NAPA it was a cheap POS that was just rubber, no steel inner core support like the good one from the dealer. If the one from NAPA does have a steel inner core that suggests they have improved them and it's probably good to use. If it's limp rubber don't use it.

I have not had problems mixing type F with Dexron, but that was a long time ago when Dexron was just type 1. If it's not synthetic I don't see why mixing any Dexton would be a problem, but I'm not a ATF guru. Maybe TB knows more?

When your putting it in reverse and it's delayed engagement is this the first time in the morning when you fire it up to back out of the garage or all the time? Torqueflite's are prone to torque converter drain back when they sit overnight and since they bypass fluid in park it doesn't fill the converter. Without doing that it's sluggish the first time in the morning, or after it's sat for a few hrs. It's a general recommendation to pop it in neutral as soon as you start it up because in neutral it will fill the converter so it won't slip when you put it in gear.

Lockup transmissions have a different input shaft spline count and design so non-lockup converters won't fit in a lockup trans. and vice versa. They take the same fluid whether lockup or not. I'm out of idea's on the drain plug.

The last time I looked at a rubber gasket at NAPA it was a cheap POS that was just rubber, no steel inner core support like the good one from the dealer. If the one from NAPA does have a steel inner core that suggests they have improved them and it's probably good to use. If it's limp rubber don't use it.

Seems to me that this is being overthought, if'n you don't mind my saying so 318.
I do however agree with everything I have seen so far about the rubber versus rubber with steel core gasket and fluids.
As far as mixing Dexron with Type F, I see no reason at all to do this on purpose, but also know it doesn't matter one little bit if they do get mixed.

Really, what I do is drop the pan and filter and then fire the car up and run it through the gears real quick at an idle and shut it off.
Then put it back together and fill it with fluid.

As far as the delay in reverse, a drained back converter can do that (like Tracy mentioned) and it very well could be just a semi normal thing.
I would say if you go out in the morning and start it up and it has a 2 second delay it's going to be fairly normal.

I'd worry if I had to rev it a little to get it to engage when first started cold.
This would indicate hardening rubber seals in the clutchpacks and rear servo that applies the rear band for reverse

All this said and discussed though, I think you should just drop the fluid and filter and let it drip for a half hour while you clean up your pan and bolts, then put it back together and run it.

Seems to me that this is being overthought, if'n you don't mind my saying so 318.
I do however agree with everything I have seen so far about the rubber versus rubber with steel core gasket and fluids.
As far as mixing Dexron with Type F, I see no reason at all to do this on purpose, but also know it doesn't matter one little bit if they do get mixed.

Really, what I do is drop the pan and filter and then fire the car up and run it through the gears real quick at an idle and shut it off.
Then put it back together and fill it with fluid.

As far as the delay in reverse, a drained back converter can do that (like Tracy mentioned) and it very well could be just a semi normal thing.
I would say if you go out in the morning and start it up and it has a 2 second delay it's going to be fairly normal.

I'd worry if I had to rev it a little to get it to engage when first started cold.
This would indicate hardening rubber seals in the clutchpacks and rear servo that applies the rear band for reverse

All this said and discussed though, I think you should just drop the fluid and filter and let it drip for a half hour while you clean up your pan and bolts, then put it back together and run it.

Thanks fishy68 and TrailBeast for the ins and outs of a 904, tranny fluid compatibility, how my morning startup will now be and staying with the 46RE pan gasket....is a 46RE pan gasket all I need to say to the Mopar parts guy? Are they usually in stock or a special order? Also, is the fact that it's a lockup 904 going to change the number of qts. of tranny fluid needed for a change (not draining the TC)? So with the tranny being a 83 with a lockup TC, will Dexron III be okay or should I move up to a higher designation? Looking forward to your responses so we can put this one to bed...
All the Best,
Greg

Thanks fishy68 and TrailBeast for the ins and outs of a 904, tranny fluid compatibility, how my morning startup will now be and staying with the 46RE pan gasket....is a 46RE pan gasket all I need to say to the Mopar parts guy? Are they usually in stock or a special order? Also, is the fact that it's a lockup 904 going to change the number of qts. of tranny fluid needed for a change (not draining the TC)? So with the tranny being a 83 with a lockup TC, will Dexron III be okay or should I move up to a higher designation? Looking forward to your responses so we can put this one to bed...
All the Best,
Greg

Dex 3 is fine, and is as good as any of them, and you should have probably at least 6 quarts on hand to do the fluid change. (8 if you let it drain for awhile)
The 46RE gasket should be in stock (I would think, since the dealer regularly does trans services)

Dex 3 is fine, and is as good as any of them, and you should have probably at least 6 quarts on hand to do the fluid change. (8 if you let it drain for awhile)
The 46RE gasket should be in stock (I would think, since the dealer regularly does trans services)

Thanks TrailBeast for the tranny info...While I am at the dealer for the pan gasket, I might as well get a filter there too. I am assuming he will know if I am asking for a 46RE pan gasket, he will also know which filter I need. When you mentioned that this pan gasket should be in stock, it doesn't sound as though Mopar had a lot of different pan gaskets and filters through the years...Once again, THANKS to you and fishy68 for your patience,knowledge and advice.
Greg

Thanks TrailBeast for the tranny info...While I am at the dealer for the pan gasket, I might as well get a filter there too. I am assuming he will know if I am asking for a 46RE pan gasket, he will also know which filter I need. When you mentioned that this pan gasket should be in stock, it doesn't sound as though Mopar had a lot of different pan gaskets and filters through the years...Once again, THANKS to you and fishy68 for your patience,knowledge and advice.
Greg

No problem Greg.
Just don't ask us if your OD works or not, and why. :D
Just kidding.

You will need the specific 904 filter because the 46RE pan is deeper and takes a different style of filter.
Other than that you should be good.

No problem Greg.
Just don't ask us if your OD works or not, and why. :D
Just kidding.

You will need the specific 904 filter because the 46RE pan is deeper and takes a different style of filter.
Other than that you should be good.

TrailBeast....thanks for the 904 filter info...now not to open a can of worms, but I was reading about Chrysler ATF fluid and the article said to only use their fluid if you have a lockup TC because their particular formulation is specific to their lockup TC's. I couldn't find a date on the article, but pretty sure they said to use ATF+3 for this application (are they right?)....the article must be old because I don't believe that ATF+3 is available anymore (please correct me if I am wrong).....to make the path even tougher in my eyes is the fact that the PO never told me what type of tranny fluid is in the 1983 lockup 904 and so I have no idea what fluid I should use to keep the tranny operating safely and who's to say that the fluid in there now is the correct stuff for the lockup....and since I can't drain all the fluid out of the TC due to previous drain plug dilemma...(not real keen on the previous post of DIY method of draining TC), I have no idea of what fluid would be backwards compatible (if perchance it is a dexron in there, don't know if that will mix with ATF-3 or updated formulation....probably not because of lockup TC fluid requirements), so no clue what's in there now....feel as though I am really up the creek without a paddle on this one....would be nice if tranny fluid makers color-coded their stuff so I could try to decipher fluid type, but I guess that's not realistic or practical. What are my options at this point in time? fishy68, please chime in as I would be very interested in your thoughts also....man oh man...Also, if there are any other Torqueflite guys out there, would appreciate your response too to get more input on this matter.....Hopefully someone else will add their 2 cents if they had to deal with this same situation....Thanks a bunch, Greg

Sorry Greg I have practically no experience with lock versions so I'm not sure on the fluid.

On the gasket, you need one for a 42RE not a 46RE. The 46RE is the overdrive version of a 727 and uses a different gasket.

Hmm nice to see a local member, Greg. If I could find the time I'd come lend you a hand.

TrailBeast....thanks for the 904 filter info...now not to open a can of worms, but I was reading about Chrysler ATF fluid and the article said to only use their fluid if you have a lockup TC because their particular formulation is specific to their lockup TC's. I couldn't find a date on the article, but pretty sure they said to use ATF+3 for this application (are they right?)....the article must be old because I don't believe that ATF+3 is available anymore (please correct me if I am wrong).....to make the path even tougher in my eyes is the fact that the PO never told me what type of tranny fluid is in the 1983 lockup 904 and so I have no idea what fluid I should use to keep the tranny operating safely and who's to say that the fluid in there now is the correct stuff for the lockup....and since I can't drain all the fluid out of the TC due to previous drain plug dilemma...(not real keen on the previous post of DIY method of draining TC), I have no idea of what fluid would be backwards compatible (if perchance it is a dexron in there, don't know if that will mix with ATF-3 or updated formulation....probably not because of lockup TC fluid requirements), so no clue what's in there now....feel as though I am really up the creek without a paddle on this one....would be nice if tranny fluid makers color-coded their stuff so I could try to decipher fluid type, but I guess that's not realistic or practical. What are my options at this point in time? fishy68, please chime in as I would be very interested in your thoughts also....man oh man...Also, if there are any other Torqueflite guys out there, would appreciate your response too to get more input on this matter.....Hopefully someone else will add their 2 cents if they had to deal with this same situation....Thanks a bunch, Greg

I have one statement that should end all the concernes you have.
Most trans shops have one giant tank of fluid that they fill transmissions with (Dexron) for ALL of them. (Even lockups)
They do however sometimes use additives for Honda and a few other non American made transmissions, or use what the customer provides (like synthetics)

A 904 or 727 (even a lockup) will literally run on recycled french fry oil.

Personally, if I was running a lockup trans I would probably use TypeF just because it allows a little less slippage on the engagement.

Sorry Greg I have practically no experience with lock versions so I'm not sure on the fluid.

On the gasket, you need one for a 42RE not a 46RE. The 46RE is the overdrive version of a 727 and uses a different gasket.

Oops, youre right Tracy.
Sorry about that Greg

TrailBeast...thanks for putting this whole deal in perspective...I would think that it probably has Dexron in there now. I drove it 700 miles to get it home and so far no (fingers crossed) tranny problems. As far as using Type F, do you feel that it would put more wear and tear on the internals to have less slippage on engagement? I guess it would have a different formulation to provide firmer, crisper shifts. Is there such a fluid as a Dexron III Type F? fishy68 thank you very much for the gasket # info...much appreciated for that and to the both of you for your persistence in responding and answering my questions.
Thanks again,
Greg

TrailBeast...thanks for putting this whole deal in perspective...I would think that it probably has Dexron in there now. I drove it 700 miles to get it home and so far no (fingers crossed) tranny problems. As far as using Type F, do you feel that it would put more wear and tear on the internals to have less slippage on engagement? I guess it would have a different formulation to provide firmer, crisper shifts. Is there such a fluid as a Dexron III Type F? fishy68 thank you very much for the gasket # info...much appreciated for that and to the both of you for your persistence in responding and answering my questions.
Thanks again,
Greg

Type F and Dexron only differ in that they use a different friction modifier, but other than that they are the same.
It's kind of a Coke or Pepsi preference for most.
The main deal with type F is that it lets the bands and clutchpacks apply with just a little less slippage than Dexron, and what I beleive to be less heat generated from that slippage.
IF I am right about that then the lessened slippage (quicker grab) increases hard part stress, so it would be a trade off of performance vs wear just like a lot of other things we do to these cars.

Hmm nice to see a local member, Greg. If I could find the time I'd come lend you a hand.

Thanks Matt for your willingness to help...FABO members reaching out to one another...that's what it's all about. Where are you located in NC? I am 1/2 hr. south of Charlotte. Maybe we can meet sometime...Happy Turkey Day and all the best to you and family.
Thanks,
Greg

-
Back