small block LA 600 Hp set up

-

Jax

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking for set up suggestions to achieve the above engine HP estimate out of a LA block stroker.

The goal is to build a reliable 550 hp to 600 hp LA stroker, to run various classes ( index ) racing.

It's pretty easy. I use Rod Bloomer heads. But you can probably do it with some of hughes cnc la aluminum heads, hughes 1.6 rockers, race tech flat top zero deck pistons, molinar 4" crank and their rods, Edelbrock super victor Intake, Crower 31409 solid roller cam, Kevco oil pan. Mine makes 657 hp.

Do you mind share your set up? Just for informative guidelines

Which cylinder heads ( Indy, edelbrock or thrickflow ) are comparable in flow terms to the W9's?
Above my paygrade, if your looking for a solid 600hp you should shop for a builder knowledgeable in 600 hp stroker sbm and builds them regularly.

Which cylinder heads ( Indy, edelbrock or thrickflow ) are comparable in flow terms to the W9's?
None, the Indy 360-1 is the closest and would easily feed 600 Hp.

Thanks.

The Indy's should do it then.

My former set up was a 414, with Pro comp cnc ported heads.... had never ran a dyno to have an idea on Hp ratings, but best e.t on my 2900 lbs car was 10.25 @ 126 mph

Do you mind share your set up? Just for informative guidelines
The above set up with the Bloomer heads and a Bloomer 4.125 crank

Thanks.

The Indy's should do it then.

My former set up was a 414, with Pro comp cnc ported heads.... had never ran a dyno to have an idea on Hp ratings, but best e.t on my 2900 lbs car was 10.25 @ 126 mph
Online calc says you were roughly 530, 550 will only get you another tenth or so. 600 will be high 9’s. Is your car set up to pass tech dipping into the 9’s? Adding more safety gear/weight will move you backwards a bit.

Another way to ask the question, what actual ET are you trying to hit?

Online calc says you were roughly 530, 550 will only get you another tenth or so. 600 will be high 9’s. Is your car set up to pass tech dipping into the 9’s? Adding more safety gear/weight will move you backwards a bit.

Another way to ask the question, what actual ET are you trying to hit?
My Car is NHRA 8.50 Certified.

I have to rebuild my engine, and are aiming to improve in e.t without compromising engine reliability and consistency. If I can run low 10's, high 9's on my new build will be awesome.

Looking for set up suggestions to achieve the above engine HP estimate out of a LA block stroker.

The goal is to build a reliable 550 hp to 600 hp LA stroker, to run various classes ( index ) racing.
Any drag strips in Aruba?

It can be done, I have 2 that have. I used the Brodix B1-BA heads on one and Trick Flows on another.

Above my paygrade, if your looking for a solid 600hp you should shop for a builder knowledgeable in 600 hp stroker sbm and builds them regularly.
This is great advice. I would take it.

Good post, surprised it hasn't gotten more attention. I'm in the long process of building a stock stroke W9 360 using a factory 1970 block. My goal was 600 HP with 13:1 compression and a solid roller cam setup custom specced by Racer Brown. Went to a dyno shop and ran a simulated dyno just for ***** and giggles... estimated at 730 hp. May need to de-tune to a smaller carb
:lol:

Step 1. Get the BEST heads you can afford.
Step 2. Proceed from there.
100% absolutely agree! That way the heads will not be the limiting factor. I have read and seen that for a small block normally aspirated engine, the maximum HP will be about 2X the intake flow at 0.500. There have been some exceptions, of course, but it's a good rule of thumb.

The current budget doesn't afford for an R3 block, so the block is the limited factor at 600-650 hp

The current budget doesn't afford for an R3 block, so the block is the limited factor at 600-650 hp
Blocks can live past 650 easily when prepped right. I know a couple of guys that are 600 and spraying on top of that

-
Back