Small Blocks Paint booth finally in action

-
Wet sand and I agree :read2: 600 for cutting runs and use 1000 grit sparingly and keep a small squeegee or a new bondo spreader and wipe it dry to look at it as you go, Stay away from any body line 8) they will cut down Quick
It's nice and cool early morning say about 3 am if you tape it off and shoot another couple coat's "High temp dryer activator slow dry" :cheers:
Dallas hit it on the money.

How about spraying a real light mid coat of some fine gold or copper flake mixed with clear. I think, That would make the color Pop!

My .02

Eric

It was a medium and it go off fast. Bill is thinking seriously about putting another coat of clear on. I see what you are saying Dallas, may sand through befor the process is done huh?

One other thing to keep in mind. If you DO cut through the clear into the basecoat on an edge (or anywhere else for that matter) you will need to fog a couple of light coats of basecoat over that area or the cut through spot will really show when you clear over it.
Good luck,
Dallas

I'm sorry for not reporting but I have been in "My God There's alot of Sanding" 101 and my grades are down! We have a couple bobos but there is more clear going on so we went through and fixed anything that needed and we are ready for more paint. Small Blk now has the Poly clear instead of the acrylic and a slow combo of additives, he is ready. A little washing and remasking and we will be on the love train to Mopar land again!!8)

ready for 2nd go around.jpg

Patch showing.jpg

Congrats on taking on the challenge.

I still need to do more wet sanding on my Dart and over the course of my project I gained a new appreciation for all the work body/paint guys do. My next project will have less trim to remove and I'll have more air powered tools!!!!! Aaaargh, my joints still hurt thinking about it.

Small Block got the last coats on tonight and it went well. We are alittle worried about small block, maybe too much paint? Maybe the sanding has been a strain? Something turned them yellow!

Sealer on.JPG

001Yellow balls!.jpg

Here are a few shots of the paint after the last couple of coats. It is really starting to look great and shines nicely also. There is a shot of our grill idea, what do you guys think? The hood is going to be flat also and we have a little detail work planned for the tail lights too. This Tahiacion gold is prettier than I thought it would be. Now the re-assembly began with the trunk first, rule #2: Don't leave painted trim parts in car while painting!! We have to do some repainting on the grill. School never closes!

Checking the grill look.jpg

who is that in there.jpg

trunk looking good.jpg

reflection right side.jpg

I hear ya!

It is a VERY physical .... I did the engine bay and it was not fun. I could imagine how rough it would be for the entire car. Needless to say I learned why painters charge so much.

Man...that paint job came out really sweet! =D>

What paint line did you use? How about the spray gun?

The gun was a Sata gravity feed and the paint is PPG stock mopar color basecoat/clearcoat Tiahition gold. (spell?)l It still gets some sanding with 1500 and a good Buffing with the big grinder!!!Widowmaker rules!! Then it's off tp a new home for some lucky guy to drive it.

The fan is a design of small blks, bik fan direct through a 4' channel in the floor and vents up high, seems to work really well.

Small Block got the last coats on tonight and it went well. We are alittle worried about small block, maybe too much paint? Maybe the sanding has been a strain? Something turned them yellow!
I did not scroll down far enough at first and got worried about his health :angry7: Then I seen what you was talking a bought :cheers:
You dog :toothy10: The car looks great :cheers: Tony had me worried there for a moment.
Good to see your big smile Bill, And glad everything is going great on the snake skin :cheers:

I really like that color!

I don't know how you do it with no depth perception Bill, but however you are doing it, it sure looks great!! Both of you are doing an incredible job.:cheers:

You all should get some rest. Parts of you are looking a little jaundiced. :-D
Maybe you need some new gold ones Bill. Lol.

Man I am believing it was too hot because of all the orange peel, there is alot of sanding. we knocked it down today with 400 and have almost all the orange peel gone. We are thinking of 1000 next. How many steps does one need to go? How many times do we need to sand it befor buffing? I will have some pics tomorrow, the car looks really good, Bill's best work todate I believe.

400-800 grit is probably perfect to cut and flatten the orange peel. Just scary if you only had a few coats of clear on it. Adding more clear is the best thing you could have done. You will end up with a much higher gloss as this is know as a flowcoat. Most show cars are done this way.

After your second clearcoat session you could start out with 1500 but only if it laid out really slick. If you want to get rid of any possible urethane wave then start out with a hard block with 800-1000-1500-2000. Then cut and buff. This is my plan anyways. Still gotta be careful with the 800 on a hard block.

I need to get more lights in my booth with some on the sides too. Nice booth.

Nice work guys.

-
Back