Small Blocks Paint booth finally in action

-

Vic Storm

Reaction score
After alot of TLC and many hours of hard work the paint booth and the Snake duster are coming together for painting. The lighting and fans worked like a charm, Small Block did a great job designing it.

Brown%2074%20gold%20duster.jpg

Gold%20Duster%20w%20rallys.jpg

Bill%20applying%20insulation%20coat.jpg

The lighting is great, his thoughts of "Never enough light" turn out to be a bonus and the fans draw the air out very well.

008.JPG

014.JPG

So after fighting (and buying a new)the gun, sanding untill your hands ache and finding things you missed you get closer to paint, Having no experiance in painting it has been a real learning experiance to me.

002.JPG

001.JPG

You go Bill :cheers:and Tony:-D
Yall have been busy on the snake skin duster:cheers:
Time for another trip to Small Block's =P~

I just talked to Bill and he said the power company is changing out a transformer, The older one just blew and he is getting a new bigger one getting put in as I type. I hope it don't take long with this heat wave we have going on.:clock:8) Stay cool bud :happy10:

I'm lucky to say the least. I was about to shoot a small dab of primer when it went out. My gun would have been dirty and it would have been in the dark. Had the two air conditioners going in the shop along with a lot of light. The put me a bigger transformer on the pole so i'll prime tomorrow. As long as i can meet my goal by painting by saturday i'll be O.K.. This thing should look good after all the hours i've put in it. We'll post more as we go.
Small Block

Make sure you clean those gargage door tracks really well before you paint. I have a very similar setup and those tracks are a nuisance. I also put high density foam caps on the ends so I don't tear my face off if I'm on a ladder painting something tall like the tow truck I recently did.

We went after it today, it was a long hot day with a temp of 95 in the booth. It is painted now with a couple of little booboos but all in all it looks really good, Small Blaock did a really great job for his third paint job. Now the wet sanding begins, so much sanding to do one of these, getting me warmed up for my car!:cheers:

ready for paint.jpg

base coat going on.jpg

clear coat going on.jpg

2nd clearcoat coat.jpg

final coat.jpg

Looks good S.B,having your own booth will get you lots of experience!(wish I had one!)Your doing great guys!

Let me say this. Having someone there to do little stuff like trail a hose or mix more product or put your beer in the freeze so things are ready for the next break is a bonus. Vic handled most of that. For those of you that have never done this you will never realize how physical it is. One thing that is killer on a paint job like this is the physical part of it. A complete exercise workout. Squating down over 30 times per coat then standing up over and over and now ya times that by 8 coats. That don't count the 4 coats of primer the 3 days before. Try this at 57 yrs old. And i'm sure some of you that have painted always cherish the moments when your friend that seldom shows up to help ask you to paint his car....for Free. Man i'm a sore puppy. Just go out in the yard and do 240 squats and give me a call in the morning. I use to wonder why those body shops charged so much to just paint a car. After my first one i had a better understanding why they did it so cheap. I really enjoy doing it BUT not for free. I guess i'll get better as i continue on from project to project. The wife ordered pizza so i took a shower and had pizza in bed. She didn't kick me out LOL. Now for a few days of sanding and minor repairs. Thanks for all the support guys and gals. FABO's saved another one.
Small Block

Been there Bill and yes it is a very hard work out that I know I can not do anymore, My son can handle a paint gun and I can keep him louded and ready.
My hat goes of to you and your victory bud
You enjoy a great day Bill and I will see you soon one day.

GREAT JOB =D>=D>=D>:thumbrig:

Small Block - you are absolutely right about the physical aspects. When I took body shop classes I quickly realized that body work is a young man's game!
C

Small Block - you are absolutely right about the physical aspects. When I took body shop classes I quickly realized that body work is a young man's game!
C
Abslutely - And when was the last time you saw a fat auto painter?!?!? It sure is HARD work. But the satisfaction of saying, "I did it myself" is worth the aches and pains for a day or two. Could not imagine doing it for a living...

Boy do I know how you feel, except for the 95 degree part, that must have at least doubled the pleasure :-D

I really have to pay attention to my gun speed down low, I'm not young either and it's really easy to go faster and not get enough coverage at the bottom where you're squating uncomfortably and cursing :cussing: I'm also not tall so stretching across the roof is no picnic either. Good thing I work so slow I only have to do it every year or two :-D

Looks like it came out very nicely :-D

Man I am believing it was too hot because of all the orange peel, there is alot of sanding. we knocked it down today with 400 and have almost all the orange peel gone. We are thinking of 1000 next. How many steps does one need to go? How many times do we need to sand it befor buffing? I will have some pics tomorrow, the car looks really good, Bill's best work todate I believe.

Man I am believing it was too hot because of all the orange peel, there is alot of sanding. we knocked it down today with 400 and have almost all the orange peel gone. We are thinking of 1000 next. How many steps does one need to go? How many times do we need to sand it befor buffing? I will have some pics tomorrow, the car looks really good, Bill's best work todate I believe.

Vic,
I'm a little worried if you are having to start out with 400. It will have to have a lot of clear on it to be able to go through enough steps to sand out the 400 scratches. 1000 might take them out but you'll need to go finer before you buff. I usually start with 2000 and go to 3000 grit. If I get a run I might use 600 if it's real bad then go to 1000 and 1500 before finishing with 2000 and 3000. I would consider going over it with 600 after the 400 then shoot it with another couple of coats of clear. Sounds like you needed a real slow activator the day you sprayed it. Sometimes I even thin the clear a little to make it flow more.
Good luck, and remember I'm as close a a phone call if you get into trouble.
Later,
Dallas
BTW, what type and brand paint and clear did you use?

Yeah, it sounds like the clear kicked too quickly. What activator speed did you use? You seriously may want to shoot another coat or two of clear on it...

It was a medium and it go off fast. Bill is thinking seriously about putting another coat of clear on. I see what you are saying Dallas, may sand through befor the process is done huh?

-
Back