Snapes 73' Dart Resto

-
well I got a reply from 5.7 hemi, and he let me know I could in fact sit the car on the ground with out the shocks...so I did. And well, look for yourself....

Attachments

• SAM_0065.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 297
  • SAM_0069.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 287
Well it's official, it's got a hemi. Picked up a 2005 hemi 5.7 outta a ram.
Only boost me $200, guy said it ran when he pulled it from the truck, just had a tick when idling.
So I think I got a steal.

Now just gotta get a computer and harness, and everything else.

Figured I would take a few pics before I went to work..enjoy.

Attachments

• SAM_0071.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 273
  • SAM_0072.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 269
  • SAM_0073.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 279
So I haven't done any mock up or even put the engine in the bay yet. However, reading posts all over the net, I see that the PWS gearbox would get in way of exhaust and manual gearbox barely clears.

Crazy thought, but why not just raise the engine? I don't care if I gotta have a hood scoop, but just raise the hemi high enough to clear the gearbox? maintain pws steering?

Any thoughts or concerns?

Hemi dry fit, VERY VERY DRY FIT..haha. yikes what did i just myself into?

Attachments

• left side K member motor mount.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 261
  • driver side gearbox clearance.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 259
  • driver side gearbox clearance 2.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 261
  • connecting rod.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 264
  • 3.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 257
  • 2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 269
  • 1.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 260
Well just an update.
Hemi has been put on hold, all the money needed to get the computer and wiring.
So I decided to take off the heads, see if it spins, it does.
Push rods are all straight, gotta assume the ticking noise is in the valve train itself.

In mean time I decides to drop suspension again, swapped out the s6 k frame. Put in a 71 v8 k frame. Figured it would make the hemi swap easier, and in mean time I could put my 318 in, and mess around a bit....

Well as it just happens, at 2am this morning as I'm cussing and wrestling the 318 + 727 over the radiator support (stupid ideas mopar to not make that removable), I realize "crap, I forgot to see if it spins after sitting for 10 years."
So with engine in air, transmission tail in the tunnel on the concrete floor losing fluid, I try to spin it.......it's seized.

I pull it out again, bent my damn driver side inner well from weight of tranny tail(my stupidity for testing it there).
I pull plugs, squirt deep creep in the cylinders...still won't spin.
Pull tranny ( not easy to remove flex plate, when engine is seized, and I
All u have is a cherry picker.
Tranny finally pulled, still will not turn over.

So at this point I have a half torn apart hemi waiting on electronics to run, then that process to swap begins. All the parts needed, modifications, etc.
I have a seized 318,
I have a 360 block
And two transmissions.

I am officially at a dead stop. I want the hemi, so no point in wasting money trying to get 318 running or 360 built. Can't sell either for much either.

Ha, gotta love it.

Well may be getting rid of the dart. My parents are getting older in years, we inhertied 3 cameo trucks and a 55 belair when my grandpa pasted away years ago.

parents are getting to point they want to declutter, get rid of things...
its been proposed that perhaps I could get the belair.. and im sorry to say, I would get rid of the dart in a heart beat for a 55 belair.
I would have to fix it up to, but come on....a belair. Mopar or not, u gotta love that.

We'll see how things pan out.

Cutting drip rails off this weekend, while I wait to save up for cash for hemi.
I have another thread about the drip rails (not exactly sure what the protocal or etiquette is when you have a rebuild post..and do side posts for information).

Anyway, here is a few pics of the drip rails.
I am using a new tip i read on a chevy post, about taking a grinding and "splitting" the drip rail seem, to better allow a weld to penetrate both pieces of sheet metal. Its pretty invasive, but I think will yeild a better result. After the grind the drip rail pinch material down to where u want it to be, flush, its so damn thin its hard to weld.
This seam splitting seems to do the trick.
Still working on my welding techniques, just a DIYer here, go easy.

Any tips or tricks, advice, dont' hesitate to post.

THanks

Attachments

• SAM_0080.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 207
  • SAM_0079.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 209
  • SAM_0078.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 208
  • SAM_0077.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 205
Ok, cool. Made some progress, least how things will look.
I took a 1"x1" square tube. Cut one of the cornes, and split the tube.
ended up with a 1"x3/16" "L".
3/16" is the spacing on the chrome lip that holds the weather stripping.
I then took the orignal weather stripping strip, split it down the middle.
I left the backside/interior side of the stock strip and used it to hold the back of the weather strip, and my new pieace will hold the front.

I will end up getting a shop to bend me the metal i need for this, so its precise and then I will weld it to the car, grind, feather, bondo, lead, whatever and smooth it in. So that you would never notice it was added on.

Just a trial pic, tell me what you think.
Hope this helps someone out on their project....I think this is a better solution then using these magic weather stripping clips I hear about...as this looks more secure, and I feel will tidy the look up as far as gaps and what not.

Attachments

• SAM_0092.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 200
  • SAM_0091.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 205
  • SAM_0090.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 195
  • SAM_0089.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 199
  • SAM_0088.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 202
  • SAM_0087.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 198
About the flex you mentioned, it is normal. If you pick up the front of the car with an engine hoist & chain by the front bumper brackets on the frame you very well might see a ton of flex....enough to pop out some of the old seam sealer. Might want talk to John about a set of his "J" bars....

your a brave man doin the drip rails ive seen a couple other guys on here do it scares hell outa me

I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared myself, but I've figured most of it out.
I think it will turn out good. Just with those few test pieces, the glass and seal fit really tight.

Killing time today, looking at this ISIS system for rewiring my car. Know that I got my head around the idea, I like it. I think I am gonna go with that.
Would be kinda cool to have that modernization.
Rest of car is gonna be modified, why worry about keeping stocking looking/functioning electrical.

Made some progress on the drip rails.
Got a good portion of the new metal in, did a crap ton of plug welds. All pentrated great on inside.
Started to get some of the pieces that need curves and what not done to them, made today as well.

Attachments

• SAM_0105.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 157
  • SAM_0104.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 150
  • SAM_0103.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 155
  • SAM_0100.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 151
  • SAM_0096.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 161
  • SAM_0095.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 151
  • SAM_0094.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 152
Killing time today, looking at this ISIS system for rewiring my car. Know that I got my head around the idea, I like it. I think I am gonna go with that.
Would be kinda cool to have that modernization.
Rest of car is gonna be modified, why worry about keeping stocking looking/functioning electrical.

I was just talking to a friend of mine about the multiplexed systems. My worry is what happens if one of the modules fries out and the company is no longer in business? Are the different brands of multiplex systems proprietary or interchangeable?

Well that is one way to end the weekend of working on the car, grinder decided to die, took it apart and the rotor has metal chunks missing, so its shot.
Good news, finished all the passenger side drip rail shave, except the A pillar and then finish grinding, I need an aircompressor so i can use a different sanding disc, 60 grit is to agressive to smooth it out, then its body filler and all that stuff....still fun, still kicking *** and taking names.

Attachments

• SAM_0110.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 124
  • SAM_0112.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 128
  • SAM_0113.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 140
  • SAM_0114.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 125
Ha, been working alot of OT, no holidays for me cuz i worked them. no time for dart at the moment. Thats ok though, body work can wait, saving up money for hemi and all that mess.

-
Back