So, a new idler arm, but what else?

-

BTYM

Reaction score
Hey y'all. For anyone who didn't see my project thread, I'll catch you up real fast. I bought a '73 Dart Sport. Didn't run. After replacing most of the fuel system and scrubbing the carb, I got it to run. I took it around the block to find that the idler arm bushing is shot. Like really really shot. I was planning on just ordering a new moog idler arm, but I'm wondering if while I'm tearing into the front end a little bit anyway, is there anything else I should check for?

If something as simple as an idler bushing has been neglected by the PO, you can be very certain the rest of the linkages and suspension parts aren't in the best of shape either.
You might want to think about a complete front end-kit. But you also might want to have someone else or a decent garage shop look at it and tell you what should/could be replaced.

If it pivots, it is probably worn and needs replacing. Do the whole front end at once so you know it's safe.

I understand you may not have the money to do the whole front end.So check your tie rod ends and ball joints.

I would have to agree, If that one part is worn others may be as well. I would go over the front and rear suspension with a fine tooth comb. Once you have a list of what needs attention. Prioritize in two ways, first safety and then second into a order that you are not doing the same task multiple time. For example you have a bad lower control arm bushing and so so strut rods bushing. It would make more sense to do both at the same time sense that portion of the front end is apart. Also think about your budget???? What kind of car do you want to build..... Cruiser, Pro-touring, or drag and pick the best combination of the parts and put them into and order as well so that you are not doing redundant tasks.

Thanks
James

I would at LEAST check stuff over. But at least an idler is not "wasted effort." That is, you are not replacing it, an having to "do things over later." If I were you I would start planning and saving for a front end rebuild. In my arthritic 65 year old lameness even I can handle this a bit at a time. In my younger years, I did one in a week end. Now, it takes me a heck of a lot longer.

-
Back