So I converted my 03 Neon to green coolant

-
if it had the red in it I would say probably, the green will not protect all the aluminum internals like the red. alunimun rots from the inside out. the red is in there for a reason, I would switch back

You should'nt as long as you flushed all the red coolant out of the radiator, lines, and the engine. I just converted my brothers 2001 Ram 1500 from green to red coolant and have had no problems.

you won't have problems at first. It's not something that happens overnight. The redcoolant was designed just for the internal parts. I think the engineer's know a little more than we do about this. I would stick with what the factory put in it.

Yeah it needed to be changed and all I had on hand was the green stuff. :/

I underestand doing what ya have to sometime to get by, but ya wouldn't change your oil and put water in cause you didn't have oil would ya? I know coolant seems like it doesn't matter, but they all have chemical differences. I'm just saying that later on after the green breaks down and clogs up coolant passages and wears out water pump from the inside it would be easier to just use the right stuff.

Well here is my opinion and it is just that my opinion you dont have to agree with me this is just from my personal experience. I have worked on many new vehicles and as far as I am concerned the red (dexcool) antifreeze has far more problems as far as clogging up the cooling systems and eating up seals. I have changed quite a few water pumps that honestly were not old enough to need to be changed yet. It builds a corossion up in the system that I dont like at all. As far as switching from one to the other you should flush the system to get rid of all of the particular style you have be it the green antifreeze or the red before switching to the other. Either way you do it you should keep in mind Antifreeze just like anyother fluid should be changed on a regular basis which I believe is reccomended every two years (at least for the green style it seems like the red says 10 years 100K miles someone correct me if i'm wron) If you do that you wont have any problems with the green style antifreeze. I should point out again this is my opinion take it or leave it you won't hurt my feelings. Justin

Well here is my opinion and it is just that my opinion you dont have to agree with me this is just from my personal experience. I have worked on many new vehicles and as far as I am concerned the red (dexcool) antifreeze has far more problems as far as clogging up the cooling systems and eating up seals. I have changed quite a few water pumps that honestly were not old enough to need to be changed yet. It builds a corossion up in the system that I dont like at all. As far as switching from one to the other you should flush the system to get rid of all of the particular style you have be it the green antifreeze or the red before switching to the other. Either way you do it you should keep in mind Antifreeze just like anyother fluid should be changed on a regular basis which I believe is reccomended every two years (at least for the green style it seems like the red says 10 years 100K miles someone correct me if i'm wron) If you do that you wont have any problems with the green style antifreeze. I should point out again this is my opinion take it or leave it you won't hurt my feelings. Justin

I gotta agree with Justin on this, the industrial diesels I work on now have red "dex cool" in them,and everything use to have green glycol based coolant in it for years, aluminum or not.The biggest reason I believe for the switch in industry and automotive is they claim you can run the new "long life" coolant longer as well as it is not as toxic.Myself I wouldn't leave any coolant red or green in my cooling system for five to ten years,to me any coolant should come out after two years and be changed. I have seen the red coolant clog up systems with a sort of rubbery gum,but this has usually been from systems that have been neglected (most of the equipment I see LOL)I've changed newer cars over to the ol green coolant and had no trouble.I'm the same as Justin on this just an opinion, the real experts would be someone who works at the new car dealership shops.........wheres John aka Fastback 340?? Any input? Don't mean to put ya on the spot there but this is actually a good question, I know I've heard lots of people debate this one, It would be interesting to hear from someone in the current auto industry:cheers:

from what i have seen the dex cool seems to be the same or worse in certain situations. i have pulled t-stat housings that have been totally pitted with that stuff. keep in mind that this is dex cool from gm not the G05 stuff that should be in newer chryslers and fords. they look about the same but are different.

The new stuff like Dexcool is silica free, supposed to be easier on the system. I've worked at GM dealers since 1988, and usually if there's an issue with dexcool getting "muddy" and clogging up, it is due to a leak or a bad radiator cap letting air into the cooling system(lack of preventive maintenance). I have a 98 Silverado w/70k on it and have had no problems with the dexcool. The green antifreeze has silica in it, and it can be harder on moving parts like your water pump. I'm not familiar with the G05 stuff, so I won't chime in on that, but I believe you should use what the factory intended. Just my 2 cents. I am a fan of Mopars embittered antifreeze. Supposed to not taste as good to our 4 legged friends I hear.

Look and read the bottle you used, the old green stuff isn't as common as it was. alot of the newer "global" antifreeze, like the stuff from Advance Auto Parts is compatible with any color antifreeze ( and it comes out of the bottle green ). You'll be fine if you get all the red out and use a global antifreeze. I don't care to mix and match even though you can with the global, I would use all one or the other. In my '05 I'll just stick with the red... just because i'm anal.

-
Back