So what's a rebuilt 340 worth these days?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All:

Looking at maybe getting a 340 and I've got an opportunity to buy one.

This one supposedly has 5-10K on a rebuild. Supposedly also has a small cam, looks very clean. 71 engine, 2.02 J heads, original 4bbl cast iron intake.

I don't know what pistons or any of that stuff. Any idea on a fair price? I can't hear it run before I buy.

Steve

More info and pics would help but if it was good and fresh, my guess would be 2-4 grand? Alot of time and work goes into an engine. Too bad you can't hear it run, is it in a car? I would pull the valve covers and intake off to peek inside to make sure it is clean, maybe even the oil pan too. May spend a little money replacing gaskets but better than buying a worn engine if you don't catch it. The owner should be ok with this too if he really wants to sell it.

I bought mine, complete, rebuilt, and running, with X heads, for $600.

I considered it a core though. We went through it, checked out everything, and changed the bearings and rings and it's been running great ever since.

Maybe it's just me, but I consider just about every rebuilt engine/trans a core, especially those that I've never seen running.

Well, good for you, but I've never seen one even offered for close to that price. Core or not. Hell, seems like the bare blocks bring almost that much.

for a cheaper rebuild, 5-10K is 1/2 way worn out again. If you cant hear it run, check the oil for crud, pull a valve cover and see what quality the work is. If it's good and solid I dont think $1500 is out of whack. The more they can show you, the more it's worth. If you can get them to pull the pan and a main and rod cap, and things look good, I'd double that figure.

I bought mine, complete, rebuilt, and running, with X heads, for $600.

I considered it a core though. We went through it, checked out everything, and changed the bearings and rings and it's been running great ever since.

Maybe it's just me, but I consider just about every rebuilt engine/trans a core, especially those that I've never seen running.

This is not typical. Sometimes people get a deal and getting a deal has no relation to the "normal" selling price.

It was on Ebay just a couple of years ago, anyone could have bought it but I was the only one to put a bid on it.

We picked up a running 360 with trans for $100 off Ebay last year, and a 440 for $200 out of the impound lot. Deals are out there...or I'm just lucky? lol

LX, inspect it thoroughly (as suggested above), ask for paperwork (for parts & labor). Look for signs of a newer rebuild or on the other hand, signs of a higher mileage motor than is being represented. Basically, try to confirm any information you are given. Take someone who knows motors with you. A second pair of eyeballs never hurt.

It was on Ebay just a couple of years ago, anyone could have bought it but I was the only one to put a bid on it.

We picked up a running 360 with trans for $100 off Ebay last year, and a 440 for $200 out of the impound lot. Deals are out there...or I'm just lucky? lol

This is the thread topic.

So what's a rebuilt 340 worth these days?

I don't know why I'm playing forum police here but when someone is asking about an "average" selling price, posting about a $600 deal doesn't help anyone that may reference this thread in the future.

Last fall I sold a complete 340 c/w X heads, stock manifold, carb, 340 hp manifolds, distributor, accessories, 4 speed, bellhousing, pedals, clutch, etc for $4500. The engine had well under 1000 miles and the clutch and bellhousing were brand new. It was probably top dollar but well worth it when compared to buying all those parts separately.

To the original poster...what is the seller asking for the engine?

Here's one in similar condition to mine when I got it. Mine was just advertised as "ran when I pulled it out of the car." The guy didn't even have a good picture of it, and I didn't know about the X heads.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/340-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Here's the top dollar one I can find on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Here are a couple that are advertised as running in the classifieds on here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=92411&highlight=340+engine

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=91792&highlight=340+engine

Wow, just doing that quick search there is a big range in prices, huh?

Good luck with it!

$600 for a core is cheap, nice find! I've seen blocks in need of some serious work sell for $700.

Good luck on this.

Here's a pic:

It comes with a 727 that's rebuilt with a 2800 stall converter. $2500 for everything in the pic.

Business got some bad news from about taxes yesterday, so it may be moot.

340motor.jpg

I would say it,s a deal for everything in the pic.All the extra stuff will save you in the long run.The carb,starter,manifolds,fan,tranny etc...$2500 I would buy it as seen no problem.Good Luck!

I know you guys won't want to her this! :)

I picked up a 0.030 over 340 long block with 2800 miles on a documented rebuild for zip. The guy just wanted it out of his garage, he pulled it for a much hotter 360 he had built. I even suggested that he could easily sell it for a few hundred and he didn't want to deal with it.

I am going to use it for a 416 stroker build.

There are always deals out there, you just have to be ready to react when they come along. I got my 360 in my Cuda the same way. I was on the look out for a sb deal when I ran across a guy with a complete 360 he wanted to get rid of before his kids tipped it over on them selves. I got it for $50 then turned around and sold the Weiand single plane that was on it for $50. I got the engine for zip and some one else got a good deal on a slightly used single plane intake.

There are always good deals out there, but I got jumped on for posting about mine. Good for you!

I would ask for reciepts on the build. Any kind of machine work that was done,there should be bills for it as well as parts. Maybe even roll the motor over pull the pan and check a rod bearing or two.

-
Back