Some M1 porting pictures and flow numbers

-
Thanks John. Another runner test would be crazy awesome if you have the time and want.

For everyone, grab a beverage & smoke more if ya got’em, the rest of this post is lengthy but I think it’ll help a few understand a little something.

This is an uncanny long post from myself.

From what I know about the history and development of this intake, most probably already know, so this is for the young guns and new guys, a history lesson-ish kind of post.

As far as I remember, when Chrysler corp moved to the TQ as their new OEM carb, it had already been on the race track for a few years. What they found was an excellent top end. In general testing for what was their publicly sold cars, they found amazing throttle response and mileage. With the government saber rattling about the future of lower tail pipe emissions, the born and breed race carb was being pushed into service and modified for the new tail pipe standards later on.

Offenhauser was (AFAIK) the first intake manifold produced for the TQ. The Port-O-Sonic was listed in the book for racing and the Chrysler Performance engineers learned a few things about its fuel distribution issues and put forth modifications to be done. It worked very well.

Holley upped the anti by their intake. It is the “Strip Dominator” they made. Somewhere along the line MoPar decided to make their own and did a basic copy of the strip dominator in which MP claimed a few more HP to the tune of 10.

Back then, no one made a performance rectangle port performance head of any kind for the small block Chrysler. The first performance head was the W2 in the early/mid ‘70’s & then the whole W series followed. Prior to the W2, there were modified versions of the stock head in which they called the W1. Not ever sold, ever!

As you should know a stock cylinder head will only flow so much air. Unless you go to an extreme modification level, porting a stock head pretty much tops out slightly better than 280 - 290 cfm, YRMV.

The above 3 intakes were designed for a stock cylinder head. There are short comings in design by todays standards & what’s available. Most notable cylinder head is the super popular Edelbrock head (and it’s chink copy) which can well outperform an OEM iron head.

What the MP manifold lacks is apparent in the Edelbrock Victor intake manifold. A larger plenum and better runners. This goes a long way especially in the efficiency of creating HP through high rpm. The MP-M1-single plane is a modified design from the best of the prior intakes but never updated, so it lacks any new development to a higher level of cylinder head. Chrysler never seen then need to do so since, 1, it still sold very well and worked well with the Edelbrock head, 2, if you really wanted to rip up some asphalt, there was the W2 that could lay down the law in the ‘70’s - ‘80’s and ‘90’s.

Today, IMO, this intake is an intake you want to run. Like a six pack, no one with a tight wallet would run a six pack when the Edelbrock RPM will be cheaper, better all around and out perform the six pack. Even if it is only a little bit as seen from various dyno testing results from magazines and YouTube videos.
But the cost difference is huge & in favor of a single 4bbl & RPM intake.

I see the M1 in the same light. It has always performed really well for me but there is power in a Victor. Consequently, if you go up the performance ladder of intakes, there’s more power in a super Victor and more power from an Indy intake. Tunnel ram anyone?Now if your engine can use that intake effectively, your never looking at a M1 single.

Also the use of a TQ. When it comes to racing, a OEM carb will never touch a race Holley. Even the race TQ can not but they were available way back in two flow ratings they simply labeled as 800 & 1,000 cfm. The super tunabilty and parts to super tune are just not there and major modifications may not be able to compete with a race Holley.

A Standard Holley (think 1860, 3310, original DP) and a OEM Holley are not a race Holley even though there super tunable.

History lesson over, final thoughts on why I had this done and why.

Let’s start with the why. I live to tinker and don’t care what anyone says about what I tinker with. It’s also wonder. I wonder what they were thinking, how it performed, can I do it? How did they do it?

I wonder….. ya know what? I wanna find out. Yep! I’m going to find out I think. This is where I have fun. IDGAF if it’s cost effective or not. It’s just fun.

When you have a few spare bucks & remember what you have read over the years, you’ll find (us older guys know this!) that porting an intake is just like porting a head in terms of adding performance. Might as well add power where ya can!
Being that our member Pittsburghracer (John) has been tinkering and effectively adding power with his skill behind the die grinder for quite some time now, I figured he would be the guy here to talk to and have some work done to the intake.

I hope the following adventure doesn’t take me to long to get up and running and the good Lord GOD keeps me here on earth long enough to empty my toy car bank account in tinkering around!

Do note a lot of guys like to break out the calculators, slide rulers
& abacus’s to build everything. For me, it just takes the adventure out of not knowing exactly and quite frankly my friends, I don’t give a damn what the calculators say.

On with the fun, on with the adventure!

Thanks to everyone who made it this far in the post.
Thanks to John for porting this intake and posting up the results and his thoughts.

Thanks for the thanks. Very informative post and project. I wonder how a stock Victor340 would stack up against that the M1 on the same port. Hmmmm

Last edited:
LOL! Test away!!!!!

I don’t personally know, but I listen to those that have been there and done that.

I didn't realize the Shocker big block head flowed so well ,305 @.500. :thumbsup:
Thanks Robb for the link, I would have never known.
Should be a good head on the small block you're building, fairly decent #'s

Thanks Fishmen. It’ll be tried with varying displacements over time. It has enough cfm flow to make for a good street ride. I don’t see a problem turning in a good ET at the track on any reasonable displacement for the head. At 185 listed cc, it should make for a fun mill. Not a killer mill.

I have had these a while, before the TF’s came out. They were a good bit cheaper then.

Yes! The B engine heads are nice as well.

Who did the additional port work to get the heads to 305cfm? I’ve got a set of ProMaxx 171’s that will need upgrading. I love this thread. I plan on a similar iterative process with an AirGap, M1, and TR5 tunnel ram. My M1 may be heading East for a makeover.

ProMaxx CNC’e Shocker” 2.08 intake valve with an additional port work, very mild window widening. Flow data available in the link below.

Shocker 185 Mopar CNC (Sold in Pairs) - PROMAXX Performance Products

Then once I’m done with a particular combo, I’ll try these turds out for size.

https://www.hughesengines.com/Index...IFJQTQ==&level3=Q05DIFBvcnRlZA==&partid=32443

Does PBR have these heads on hand? I’d love to hear what he has to say about them. I know he said the trick-flows would be tricky (pun intended) to squeeze bigger valves in them because of the seats. Seeing as these two heads are very close in price, I’d love to know if he thinks he can get more out of the shockers.

@pittsburghracer

Does PBR have these heads on hand? I’d love to hear what he has to say about them. I know he said the trick-flows would be tricky (pun intended) to squeeze bigger valves in them because of the seats. Seeing as these two heads are very close in price, I’d love to know if he thinks he can get more out of the shockers.

@pittsburghracer

I do not have the heads

Who did the additional port work to get the heads to 305cfm? I’ve got a set of ProMaxx 171’s that will need upgrading. I love this thread. I plan on a similar iterative process with an AirGap, M1, and TR5 tunnel ram. My M1 may be heading East for a makeover.
The “305 cfm” heads are big block heads Fishmen was talking about.

@pittsburghracer
As he said….

The ProMaxx heads are chink castings bought to
Rainbow City, AL, and worked by the ProMaxx fellas. These were delivered to me with excellent craftsmanship. They stand behind their work. Since they are the chink heads, I’m sure there’s more in them. In speaking with ProMaxx on the phone about them, they were telling me there CNC program was what they thought was fitting for the head without pushing it to far while getting a great return in flow with the port shaping they came up with.

I would say that these heads at 185cc and the reported head flow would make these an excellent street head with great throttle response. They’re 10cc and 20 cfm down at max from the trick flow heads and I personally have a set of those on the wife’s 360 now. The ProMaxx heads will perform the same with low lift cams. It’s not until you start getting larger in duration and lift with the TF outshine the PM heads.

Look at there reported flow rates and compare.

Last edited:
Runner number 4

——-Head————intake on
.100—64——————62—64
.200—125—————125—132
.300—187—————183—194
.350—214—————213—218
.400—238—————236—238
.450—257—————246—253
.500—284—————255—265
.550—294—————256—266
.600—296—————258—270
.650—302—————271—283
.700—308—————279—289

Runner number 8
No before work numbers only after work numbers.

———Head————-intake
.100–58———-/—/—56
.200–126—————-126
.300–184—————-184
.350–210—————-209
.400–233—————-231
.450–254—————-248
.500–270—————-263
.550–278—————-276
.600–290—————-.280
.650—302—————.276
.700–306—————-.270

I don’t think any head porter ever wants to see numbers back up and it made me go back and try one more modification and picked up 3-4cfm from .350-.700 but not what I was hoping for. Once again this intake was never aimed by Mopar for a head flowing 305-310cfm so honestly I think it held its own. It’s a very quiet intake that would probably shine on a 280-290cfm head. The top of the runner is very thin and although there’s plenty of room to get that crazy 90 degree lip out and some shaping done it’s time to quit. He’s a couple pictures of before and after mods today. The after has the adapter on.

267B88FB-8FCF-4817-9394-051A4E3E5D00.jpeg

F7544D8C-F789-40F6-859D-CA5A583C3B15.jpeg

Not too darn shabby at all. I agree with and on what the intake was designed for. When they made it, there were no Edelbrock heads available. Not many people have ported the head as far as you found it can go. Many places would call 280/290 right close to its maximum when the head first came out and for a while.

Considering it was made for a stock cast iron head and how far the can go ported, I’d say that is a very good intake for an OE head and really good for it now.

Everybody give John a round of applause for his first ever MoPar M1 single plane work.

Thanks John!

Not too darn shabby at all. I agree with and on what the intake was designed for. When they made it, there were no Edelbrock heads available. Not many people have ported the head as far as you found it can go. Many places would call 280/290 right close to its maximum when the head first came out and for a while.

Considering it was made for a stock cast iron head and how far the can go ported, I’d say that is a very good intake for an OE head and really good for it now.

Everybody give John a round of applause for his first ever MoPar M1 single plane work.

Thanks John!

Thank you sir for the patience and little bonus you sent me. I’ll hit those other three runners tomorrow to match them up and try to get this thing on its way back by Friday.

Thanks again John and no worries. This tech was excellent and a great benefit for the forum and the small block guys. Now we know and there’s no guessing, assuming or wondering.

Thanks again John and no worries. This tech was excellent and a great benefit for the forum and the small block guys. Now we know and there’s no guessing, assuming or wondering.

Well I took it upon myself today to do one more test since I was mounting up a TrickFlow head to get before and after numbers on a RPM and Victor340 intake so these are the flow numbers from let’s call it number 6 runner. This TrickFlow head has some issues going on that will have to be addressed at a later time as you can see from the flow numbers. At .450 lift it actually calmed the head down some to flow better with the intake on. If you remember for the last test I did a little reshaping at the top of the plenum and gained 3-4cfm so I blended the other 3 runners before todays testing. I feel this intake would easily support 500-525 horsepower

FEF30C26-34BA-47AD-8DD2-89A63DAAE318.jpeg

CCEE4911-21DB-457A-8EA1-D0AC4086FED5.jpeg

2A766A2B-A480-41C2-AB18-F6A70E159DE8.jpeg

2BD5AE5F-0113-4414-83D3-F4473C2480E4.jpeg

Guys just one more thing to add to this post. If you enjoyed this post and learned anything please give a big thank you to Rumblefish360. Never once did he rush me to get his intake done and never once said get it shipped last week when it was done leading to a few more cfm and testing on the TrickFlow head. I myself had my eyes open to how good this intake was and is not only out of the box but how much smoother it was after a little work. It’s all boxed and will ship out tomorrow morning after I get a much needed haircut. I only usually go to town twice a week so I like to combine trips. Thanks for everything Rumblefish.

A big thanks and no worries, this forum and every MoPar brother out there always needs a little more information on their engine. There’s just not enough information out there to truly make the best choice possible and if you can’t get the exact part due to them not being made or being just plain old expensive, you just don’t know where you stand. It’s hard to make an informative choice when there’s no information.

Having the intake test before and after porting was a good chapter on the MoPar M1 single plane we all needed and I had zero issues with waiting on it in any way shape or form since like everyone else, I wondered and had to know.

As a final note, I had the amazing and crazy weird luck of being fortunate of not only meeting & breaking bread with @George Jets but also being introduced to another friend of his where we hit it off awesomely at the MoPars of Breavare (MOB) county car show and swap meet.

I met Charlie Servidio (Say, Sir-Video) who some may know from this forum as doing R&D work for David Vizard and the “Mission Impossible” 318 build. We are now hanging out playing with cylinder heads and flow testing them and intake manifolds. So stay tuned to my YouTube channel as well as Charlie’s YouTube channel. You’ll get the best meat and potatoes from Charlie’s channel.

As a final word, don’t race flow benches, just use the before and after results to help better understand what’s going on.

Stay tuned to Pittsburghracer and his work.

John, thanks again. On behalf of this forum and MoPar brothers out there, this information was sorely needed because it was missing.

well this has been an eye opener here , i'm building a street/strip road car 64 cuda 4spd car with a 340+.06 with eddy performer heads ported with bowl work , i picked up a eddy rpm ag , and was also thinking of a 6 pack that i've got from a 70 aar cuda . but that three carbs and if the eddy rpm ag will flow good number across the rpm range . i'll go that route . choose a mp cam a solid tappet cam 244 dur @ .05 .351 lube lift 112ls overlap @ adv 60 deg at .05 20 deg .

DSC00938.JPG

DSC03190.JPG

DSC03193.JPG

Last edited:
I wish… day dream of a dyno comparison between those two intakes.

Ether way, take note that the old MP speed tips recommend their own 6 pack set up to run in the 11’s. So….. it’s gotta be able to flow enough air and fuel to power a 340/360 into the 11’s ….

How much HP @ 3,000 will it take??????

-
Back