someone explain a Tunnel ram

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
ok, I been seeing these tunnel thingers around and I want to know what is the point of a tunnel ram, what are the advantages of having one, and do they work on any engine or does it have to be built to a certain protocol in order to work properly?

this is an eeeeenternet pic ...not mine

Attachments

• DSCN2677.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,472
You can put one on a stock engine and if the carburetors are a good match, it can be tuned to run very well. However, most people don't put them on stock engines.

Their purpose is to gain velocity with the air/fuel mixture. As the mixture enters the runners of the tunnel ram, it gets a "running start" if you will going into the cylinders and packs more air and fuel into the cylinders. More velocity = more power.

They are made to introduce very large amounts of air and fuel into an engine and make more power and usually in the upper RPM range.

There are exceptions, though. Tunnel rams with long runners lend themselves well to low RPM horse power and torque and can be tuned very well for the street. Edelbrock even made a "Street Tunnel Ram" Specifically designed for lower RPM and power. They worked really well. Never made for a big block, though.

The best choices for a street big block are two. The Weiand and the Offenhauser. Out of those two choices, only one is still made. The Weiand for the RB engine. Othwewise, you will have to look for a good used one.

The Offenhauser tunnel rams had a little longer runners than the Weiand, but not by much. The Offenhausers are very rare units and they are not cost friendly when they pop up. They have also not been made in many years and I doubt they will ever be made again, as Offenhauser has for all intended purposes gone out of business.

I have been kinda looking for a Weiand tunnel ram myself for my 383, but people want a lot for them. I am not going to pay big money for a thirty year old tunnel ram, regardless of how "rare" they might be. I will probably just stick with my Torker 383 and 950 three barrel vacuum secondary Holley.

not too mention it is a great excuse to cut a hole in the hood and have the engine stick out without having to fork out the big bucks for a blower

there are a few affordable tunnel rams for the 383 on ebay

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weiand-tunnel-ram-383-400-Mopar-Dodge-Crysler-intake-manifold-5986-/200999218289?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ecc7cac71&vxp=mtr"]Weiand Tunnel RAM 383 400 Mopar Dodge Crysler Intake Manifold 5986 | eBay[/ame]

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weiand-tunnel-ram-383-400-Mopar-Dodge-Chrysler-intake-manifold-5986-/151184589003?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23334dc0cb&vxp=mtr"]Weiand Tunnel RAM 383 400 Mopar Dodge Chrysler Intake Manifold 5986 | eBay[/ame]

BUT if you really want something baller for that 383 check out these puppies

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Offy-Offenhauser-354-383-392-426-440-Mopar-hemi-Dual-quad-X-cross-ram-/181236866887?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a328f1f47&vxp=mtr"]Offy Offenhauser 354 383 392 426 440 Mopar Hemi Dual Quad x Cross RAM | eBay[/ame]

or just fabricate one yourself

Thanks. I hadn't seen those. But of course, right here at Christmas. LOL I just spent all I had on Kitty's gift. Oh well.

Good description Bobbby.

Rani; the tunnel rams are a race part that can be used on the street. But when you use the parts as intended, it should be the ultimate power house as cast intake. RPM ranges are in the area of as low as 3000 RPM's to over 10,000 RPM's. Of course this is also a build dependent and manifold design item. But the RPM abilty is there. One may choose one intake over another for the design features it has or has not. There is also the abilty to modify it or not or how much can be done.

I current have a MoPar tunnel ram intake. The runners are shorter than most other tunnel rams. It is a high rpm design part. Lots of plenum!

The protocol (LOL, that's great and accurate) would be an all out build, hold nothing back, spend it all and then go rob a bank to finish the job kind of build.

Dali was a Mopar guy?? Cool!!......

you tell me...

Dali art:

mopar add:

I see some overlap there ;)
(was really looking for the snorting cuda add but couldn't find it, that one really looks like a Dali piece)

Before there were tunnel rams there were............

really, just a different shape

mopar__s_413_with_cross_ram_by_detroitdemigod-d3i2k1e.jpg

This aledgedly did exist...........

mopp_1005_01_o+max_wedge_engine+mythical_engine.jpg

4-4BBLS.jpg

Take a REAL good look......clue......it ain't a Mopar..........

picture.php

Most racers nowadays use sheet metal welded tunnel rams unless they are running in nostalgia classes.

Nice Ford engine shot.

Thanks. Matt. I wasn't sure how in depth I could go. Not just for Rani but as a whole on who ever may be reading. I like the KISS method best if it suites. I try to avoid going over board. Easy for me to just ramble on.

Rani, as pictured, Chrysler knew pretty well what a longer runner would do on a engine and how they could use it to there and the engines advantage. The long cross rams that came stock on the B and RB engines were so sesigned to take advantage of the pressure waves inside the intake manifold along with cam timing. Very very smart people figured this one out.

The Shorter cross ram intake pictured are more of a race intake than anything else. Inside the intake, with the top removed, you can see the runners. Short, direct and pretty much port sizes allready, this is a high RPM intake where the long bent over the valve cover ram intake is a low rpm torque maker.

The stick through your hood T-rams were first brought about by the "Ram Chargers" in there experiments. They knew that the fuel, more so than the air, doesn't like to make turns. Less turning around to the left right up and down the better the engine responded with power.

The tunnel ram offers a straight shot downward to the heads port wondow. Once in the head, the port is now the next issue to contend with. And another issue in the part puzzle combonation to be delt with.

It still needs to be ported.
Bow is my Tunnel Ram from MoPar Perdormance power coated by CudaChick68.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 569
Below is a picture of my cudaChick68 power coated W2 Holley Street Dominator.
This intake shot was choosen so you can see that whe from the carb entrance, you can see the exit into the head. It is a soft bend.

Bu from the carb itself, the air and fuel make basicly a 90* turn into the direction for the cylinder demanding the mix. Then the soft turn, the a 90-ish turn down the heads port. It is less of a twisting track in the tunnel ram since the air fuel path is pretty much or as close to straight down.

The W2 STreet Dom. is probably good to 6500. Holley used to make one hell of an intake. A shame they stopped doing such nice work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 522
A straight shot,ant the valve(line of sight). Great thread. Have a Weiand on the shelf,for the Magnum setup when due.

There's a tunnel Rammed '66 Dart running in Lemons. Here's a short build video. Stock 318 4spd.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlArx8mDt88"]66 Dart Road Racer Tour - YouTube[/ame]

Test and tune at Streets of Willow.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFsOjxQBjpY"]Streets of Willow, Nov 2013, Team "Coming From Behind" '66 Dart - YouTube[/ame]

They did pretty good at the recent "Arse-Freeze-Apalooza". First in class and were running first overall until they got punted by a BMW near the finish.

So yeah, a properly tuned tunnel ram can run pretty damn good on a stock engine!

that's badassary ....I kinda want a tunnel thinger now .......it would look awesome on my coronet wagon with a fiberglass hood

Ran one and from personal experience I can tell you on the street its a trade off. Sure they work great when tuned right. But they are designed for 3500 rpm and up. They can suck in stop and go traffic. At low rpm the fuel falls out of the air due to low port velocity and drips down the runner walls and fouls plugs. Only way to fix that was to lean my carbs out and you dont want to go too lean. I kept an extra set of plugs in the glove box.For a driver it aint worth it. For a toy its ok. I ran a tunnel in the late 70s when gas was higher octane which slowed the burn. Maybe modern fuel is different. Cant say for sure. Some may disagree but i been there done that.

Here's a tunnel ram on a 340.

Attachments

• IMGP4982.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 524
  • IMGP4983.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 560
  • IMGP0435.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 458
-
Back