Spare tire well fuel tank

-

604B1duster

Reaction score
It’s been a few years but remember seeing round aluminum fuel cells built for mopar spare tire wells. They filled the whole tire well and were flush with trunk floor. Anybody know who made them ?

Last edited:
Ok, maybe that’s it and I’m remembering wrong. I thought it was more hand made looking and made specifically for mopar A bodies

Have a friend follow you in a Corolla with a trunk full of gas cans.. or any Toyota Lexus Scion from the 1990s to 2010s. Or a mail van with a Cummins 4-BT. You get the idea…

There’s one rectangular fuel cell I found that would work in the spare tire well of an a body. I’ll reference the link later, but I think it’s around 12 gallons.

I had an aluminum gas tank made to use in my Duster when I was all hyped up to put a 5.7 Hemi in it. I had it made to remove the spare tire well and weld in flat sheet metal with ribs in it. Then make new straps to hold it in. It holds 25 gallons and has baffles in it. I was going to use an Aeromotive pump and a fuel gauge sender I found online. It's heavy as hell, because it is 1/4 inch aluminum. I guess it's a conversation piece for swap meets now that I no longer plan to use it....lol.

There’s a build on here by Andy F (Andy Finkbeiner) that he built a fuel cell that goes on the trunk tower under the package shelf. I’ll see if I can forward a link to it.

I made a rectangular stainless steel tank and removed the spare tire well. I made it 20 gallons so I could make a 15 mpg trip and get somewhere without stopping.
Also wanted to use the stock fuel fill door and keep trunk space.

[ATTACH=full]1716081883[/ATTACH]

Brad4406

FABO Gold Member​

FABO Gold Member
JoinedApr 20, 2008Messages2,066Reaction score374LocationFairborn, OH
“If you are planning to install a trunk floor with spare tire area, there is a company that makes round fuel cells that match the spare tire area. I don't recall the company, but I'm sure if you do a search on here for fuel cell, you can find it.
I plan to cut my spare tire area out and fab a frame assembly for my square cell and then box the trunk floor back in.”

Just found this.

Now for some reason I’m thinking I saw it in a Mopar magazine.
….and that tank Andy made its very nice

-
Back