Speedo and late 904

-

64_Barracuda

Virginia Beach VA
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a stock speedo cable on an early A will bolt up to a late model 904? And if it will not what does work?

Thanks,

Take the old parts off the tranny and screw them into the newer tranny. These parts are the housing the cable screws into and the gear behind it.
The newer 904 use's a different set up.

Take the old parts off the tranny and screw them into the newer tranny. These parts are the housing the cable screws into and the gear behind it.
The newer 904 use's a different set up.

The 65 and earlier used a smaller piece for the gear similar to a GM piece. So this would not work.

As Chryslerfat said the early speedometer cable and gear parts will not work with the later transmissions. If you use a 66/67 speedometer cable - the fitting for the speedometer is the same for the early A Body and the transmission fitting works for 66 through at least the mid 70s 904/727.

Thanks fellas, I am going to in the end put a 66 Cuda dash in the 65 Signet, I like all the gaugues and having a Tach is cool!, so a 66 cable should do the trick with a 66 dash, thanks again!!

Thanks C-fat. Didn't know early early stuff was like that.

Has to be a 66 cable (maybe a 67 also, not sure about that.) the speedo end changed around 67 or 68. A 66 cable has the early speedo end, and the late trans end.

Correct, the 66 cable is the only one that will work with the older speedo and the newer tranny. Brewers also sells one that has the correct ends on it, I think it was like $35 if I remember correctly.

sorry i didnt know the 67 speedo end was different,,i know the 66 cable works on after market auto meter speedos,,,

And now Charlie you can come up here and help me build it!!! Thanks dude I went right to the link and ordered it. I have heard alot about Rock Auto but I have never used them. Thanks again.

Hah yeah I hear that. I have been in the Tidewater Area since 91, just took another set of orders to take me out to 2013. I am hopefully going to retire somewhere out west of Penny Farms/ Green Cove Springs area when its all done.

-
Back