Spicer 789x too big...

-

72Valiant4Door

Trouble Maker
Reaction score
I ordered the u joints from rock auto a while back... when i went to install the new u joints i found the spicer solids a hair too long to go in... what ujoints does my baby driveshaft need?

Not sure on the small. You could also take your old one to napa or carquest. Lemme look online real quick, is it a factory driveshaft.

I looked it up on Oriellys, 789x is supposedly the correct one, will it not fit into the pinion yoke? Also are you aware that the snap rings are internal?

Specs show its 2.125

Not sure on the small. You could also take your old one to napa or carquest. Lemme look online real quick, is it a factory driveshaft.

I looked it up on Oriellys, 789x is supposedly the correct one, will it not fit into the pinion yoke? Also are you aware that the snap rings are internal?

Specs show its 2.125

As far as i know yes. 7.25 rear, 904 318

Wouldnt happen to have a picture handy would you? Will the cups not go in far enough for the internal snap rings?

Wouldnt happen to have a picture handy would you? Will the cups not go in far enough for the internal snap rings?

I have the ends off and they will not go in. They are too long from end to end... i may be able to spread the yoke a tad to get the ends in and then press in the caps... but im not sure

Hmmm it would be a little tight but should drop right in. Are you fully bottoming out the joint into the yoke and then trying to swing the other side in? If you mock up the joint with the caps and hold it next to the yoke does it seem correct?

I have the ends off and they will not go in. They are too long from end to end... i may be able to spread the yoke a tad to get the ends in and then press in the caps... but im not sure

Shouldnt have to spread yoke at all, unless it has been damaged, did you remove the old ones?

How much longer are they than the old ones? Also is it possible that the driveshaft has been changed or altered?

only thing you could do is put the old and new side to side and measure. What is too big?
!BnghvcQBmk~$(KGrHqQH-EYEtr+qYv,RBLjvD(NnDQ~~_1.JPG
Slip-yoke-3-1a.jpg

I recall I had to tap mine in with a hammer. Put bare cross in middle and one cap, then run cross into cap and tap that cap into place until Clip is lined up, then tap other side on. You cant make it uneven. Just watch for rollers getting knocked out of alignment and having one end up in bottom of cap. That will ensure that you wont be able to bottom it on the cross.

Well if your headed towards Cleveland Just swing by my work and id be more than happy to look at it. Or you could always run it over to hudlow axle in east ridge and see what thry think. Some good guys over there

The ends will be wider than 5a with and without the caps on.

Do you have the old one to measure? Does the 789x fit into the pinion yoke with the straps?

Have you measurements on the new one,compared to the old one. As an ex parts person,see lots of misboxed/mixed up in return u joints. Just a thought.

I don't have much knowledge with the 789x spicer. But if you have the small joint 7260 yoke, I have always used the 315 or 317 (same joint, different grease fitting location) Precision joints with no problem.

Put the caps on the u joint and measure from groove on cap to other groove on cap and should be 2.12

B and A should measure 2.125

1226161926_MercruiserOutdriveU-JointSpicerGreaseable_U-Joint-Dra.jpg

If you got a goofy yoke, put it next to your rears flange, it should be the same ID at the clips as the rear ends. Can you install your old one again? Can you use the old caps on the new cross? Whats the issue with the old U-joint. If its a hair off, it may be tweaked.

Im wondering if the ears on shaft or yoke got tweaked in a bit while removing old joint its happened to me ??

Im wondering if the ears on shaft or yoke got tweaked in a bit while removing old joint its happened to me ??

That is easier to do than most would think! I've had to rap on a yoke or two in the past to spread the ears ever so slightly to get the C-clips in.

I think this is the case... the differential side ujoint was stiff as hell and had really poor movement, sometimes when dropping into park or drive it would clunk a little.

That may have just been the joint itself. Measure in between the ears on the drive shaft and see how close to 2.125 or 2 1/8" it is if its narrower then you know either the ears are bent or the wrong yoke was installed on the driveshaft or maybe driveshaft has been replaced.

-
Back