Steering Shaft Removal

-

marianamaya

Reaction score
OK Guys, I need some help!

I had an electrical problem where the fusible link on the ignition blew. It melted the large red wire on both sides of the underdash connector. I am trying to remove the harness from the steering column, and I am stuck.

It is a Slant 6 904 automatic.

I have the service manual and I am working off of page 19-35. I am working under the Steering Shaft section and I am stuck at #4 - "Pry sleeve off steering shaft lock plate hub to expose pin"

Can anyone help take me the rest of the way?

Any advice?

Thanks,

Pete

Thanks for the time, Chief,

I assume that I need to remove the shaft to get to the wires that I need to remove.

What is the sleeve?

Where is the pin?

I guess I need help with the rest of the disassembly.

Pete

First time I did this I did it without a manual so I know where your coming from. Under the turn signal cams (white plastic pieces) is a metal plate that is held onto the steering shaft with a cross pin that goes through the plate's collar and steering shaft. A cover (looks like an open ended thimble) slides over the pin/plate collar to keep the pin in place. Use a flat blade screw driver to GENTLY work the cover up and off. If it's really stuck, wrap the cover in a rag or couple wraps of tape and use some slip lock pliers to GENTLY work it up. Usually once they start to move they will come right off. Then you can pull the shaft out and complete the disassembly. From there on out its easy. Once you have it apart check the bearing at the bottom of the shaft (if yours has one) for wear and give it some love (high temp grease). They're usually bone dry. Hope that gets you your answer.

It might help us help you if we had more information on what you are working on. Many people have several cars so while it may be the one in your avatar we have no way of knowing. Some pictures of your problem area might help too.

Took me a few minutes to resize the pics. Exploded view of column, red box shows plate, sleeve and pin. Friggin thing is almost invisible when assembled. Sleeve slides off toward the steering wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_1276.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1273.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 201
Got it out. Thanks for the help Chief!

Now I can send the harness to my guy to see how bad the damage really is.

Hope I can get it back together.....

I may be contacting you again.

Pete

-
Back