Sticky the Mad Article?

-

'73 Root Beer

Reaction score
May be wrong place to request but...

Is it just me or should the mad article on the Ammeter and bulkhead bypass be a sticky?

Been awhile since I have been in the post but in the 3 minutes and 8 posts I've read here I think it was posted 4 times

Though it looks like it keeps Del busy without it. LOL!

'73...did a SEARCH...No joy..could you post the link ?

Thanks
Ian.

I tried "mad article" and "Ammeter and bulkhead bypass" with out luck.

Yes, i think good tech articles should have a section of their own.

Cheers

I'm not sure that should be a "sticky". If the wiring melts down and/or the bulkhead connectors fail, there could be a reason like overload at the root. Beefing up this failure point would only move the failure to the next weakest link.
If I have to choose between smoke under the hood and smoke under the dash, no brainer.
In many cases, simply replacing these 40+ yr old electrical connectors with same as OEM is all that is needed.
Bypassing the Amp gauge disables it leaving you clueless as to what the charging system may or may not be doing. If that article suggested a Volt gauge to replace the Amp gauge it would make a little more sense.
Just my opinion though.

Well, it does suggest a voltmeter, and there's a very good thread on here on how to convert it.

Furthermore, Mopar wiring has ALWAYS had weak links and the proof is in the fact that "fleet wiring" exists

Well, it does suggest a voltmeter, and there's a very good thread on here on how to convert it.

Furthermore, Mopar wiring has ALWAYS had weak links and the proof is in the fact that "fleet wiring" exists

Fleet wiring was supplied in expectation of additional equipment/load installed. Fleet wiring retained a working indicator ( amp gauge ).
maybe that gauge conversion thread you referred to should also be a sticky ?

I'm not saying the madelectrical article is a bad thing. I've converted several amp gauges to volt gauges. I suggest to all of those owners that they read the mad' article. I add that it may not be the best or only method to the madness and may not be necessary. It does however include some great pics of a spot where evidence of a potential problem can be found. You'll learn where and what to look for if nothing more.

Here's an idea... make this thread a sticky. LOL

Fleet wiring was installed with 60? 65? amp alternators. While it might be "expected" that additional equipment was installed, it still indicates that the factory wiring was pretty marginal.

I used to maintain HVAC, and it's common for the same type 1/4" wide quick connects which are in Mopar bulkhead connectors, are used for electric furnace element connections and to the sequencer relays. These are nominal 20A (5KW) circuits, and there are LOTS of failures with that wiring. Part of the maintenance in an electric furnace is checking those connectors.

The point? 20 amps? and you experience failures? Then how can one expect those connections to put up with 40--60A or more and do anything except fail?

43720d1302005310-electric-furnace-breaker-28-old-post-rd-enid-3-15-11-063.jpg

Typical: connection is a little loose and it snowballs. Or is the term "fireballs?" LOL

melted-furnace-wire.jpg

I prefer Amp Meters to Volt Meters. Volt meters really don't tell what your charging system is doing, until it's too late...

-
Back