Stock intake vs performer?

-

71dusterdan

Reaction score
Does anybody have credible test comparisons or know of a source. 71 340 intake vs edelbrock performer.

Nope!
My money says the eddy will be faster because it weighs less.:D

The 340 'stock' Cast Iron Intake will outperform the Edelbrock Performer on Top End.

The Edelbrock Performer
Port Dimensions = .97" x 1.95"

The 'Performer' has tighter runner ports, and is better for the 1500 to 4500 RPM Range,
but not for 'high' RPM's.

In the Quarter-Mile, our 'stock' 340 Cast Iron Intake was a 'solid' {2/10's} quicker.

I ain't sure about all that. ^^^^^ It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the 71 intake pull on the performer all the way through. I'd love to see a dyno comparison.

Yep! I've got TRUE test numbers, called an E.T. slip. The cast intake is about 2.5 tenths faster on a 340 with a mild cam (.474 lift, 280 adv. dur.) and headers. NOW, the LD340 intake was worth 1.5 tenths over the cast. The edelbrock performer is a nice way to put a 4bbl on a 318 or 360 2bbl. The edelbrock RPM is a better choice. I personally like the Weiand Action Plus over the eddy performer. I have the Weiand action plus on a 318 now, and I like it. I've seen a magazine test where the Weiand action plus was worth 1.5 tenths over the cast (it was a 340 4-speed car), and they got another 1.5 tenth when they went to the Xcelerator because of the 4 speed

I ain't sure about all that. ^^^^^ It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the 71 intake pull on the performer all the way through. I'd love to see a dyno comparison.

Agree, I believe the 1971 intake is the best performing stock 4 bbl SB intake Ma Mopar made

71 is said to be the best, if your going to look for one better in a dual plane go for the rpm air gap, the performer I'm guessing would be worse than the stock 71. Here is a 71 340 intake that i gasket port matched, milled the plenum divider, and did a lot of plenum massaging! Then you need to run one of the 71 t-quad's !! to bad i probably wont run any of this for a long time i like the 6 pack on my 340 right now!

View attachment 71 Demon 340 (90).jpg

View attachment 71 Demon 340 (92).jpg

View attachment 71 Demon 340 (94).jpg

View attachment 71 Demon 340 (96).jpg

View attachment 022 (1280x853).jpg

Nice work on that intake! ^^^^^^^

Thanks, the TQ is why I am so hell bent on going against the grain. I won't give up my TQ for love or money. I have had this eddy for years, with intent on using it, then the 340 fell into my lap. I am getting close to just throwing in the towel, and getting the damn air gap!

Manifold Comparison

Manifold.........'Stock' 1971 '340' Cast Iron #3512100 .........Edelbrock 'Performer' #2176
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weight........................ 49.5 lbs. ................................................ 21 lbs.

Port Size..................... 1.08" x 2.17"........................................ .97" x 1.95"
Gasket Size................. 1.16" x 2.27"...................................... 1.05" x 2.07"

Height.......................... 5.00" ................................................. 4.63"

Power Range........... Across the Board .............................. Low-End and Mid-Range

69 Cuda that is some really good info. I may look into massaging my stock 71 intake. Besides it is good for the sleeper look!

69 Cuda that is some really good info. I may look into massaging my stock 71 intake. Besides it is good for the sleeper look!

Correct,

The Edelbrock 'Performer' is not a performer. It is just a Plain Jane
aluminum intake manifold with tight runners designed for low-to-medium
power range.

Thanks, the TQ is why I am so hell bent on going against the grain. I won't give up my TQ for love or money. I have had this eddy for years, with intent on using it, then the 340 fell into my lap. I am getting close to just throwing in the towel, and getting the damn air gap!

The AG will not take the TQ directly, it'll need the carb adapter. Do yourself a favor and use the Weiand Action Plus and bolt down the TQ on top and be done with it. The intake is an excellent unit.

How about the difference between the performer and performer RPM? I have the RPM because of having A/C.

That's a Horse of a different color.

The Performer RPM {#7176} has a larger plenum than the Performer, and the
Runner Ports have a better design for higher lift Camshafts.

The Performer RPM is taller {+.72"} than the Performer, and the Port
Dimensions {1.01" x 2.17"} are larger as compared to {.97" x 1.95"}.

That is nearly {+16%} more air-flow thru the Runner-Ports.

How about the difference between the performer and performer RPM? I have the RPM because of having A/C.

The RPM isn't much different from the air gap. Results would be about the same except you'd have the exhaust crossover available if in colder climates. Heads like ede's without a crossover heat passage, no different.

I would love to see some dyno results for the stock intake.

My cousin drives stock car and does faster lap times with the stock 360 2 bbl intake over the Eddy performer.
If you gasket matched the performer it probably close the performance gap.

Very interesting thread. Over here in australia factory 4bbl mopars are extremely few and far between!

1971 340 Cast Iron Intake Manifold #3512100

Is a damn good 'breather'.

Just a little gasket-port matching and some smoothing of the plenum-area,
and you've got yourself one solid performing Intake Manifold.

No big deal that it weighs about {+28 lbs.} more than an Aluminum Intake.

Problem solved > You just have to find a lighter Girlfriend.

No big deal that it weighs about {+28 lbs.} more than an Aluminum Intake.

Problem solved > You just have to find a lighter Girlfriend.

So that's the secret! Good thing my girlfriend went in a diet!

It's good to see a stock piece outperform the aftermarket.

-
Back