Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Thanks for the tip. I just looked and have it free on HBO. Gonna watch it tonight. Think I may have seen it once before, but that dont matter...

One of those movies that is best on a large screen, all the lights off and volume up really high so you can hear the creaking of the ship and sea.

Love that movie. Watched it again just a few days ago. Uniform and clothing are extremely accurate for the period
We went to a maritime museum in Norway and boarded a old square rigged vessel. We felt very tall. As you can imagine we all started discussing how to fight and defend the ship. In the end we decided the men that sailed and battled with those ships were submariner crazy.

I’ve been putting the wood stove ashes on my garden for years. Have no idea if it helps, but it sure doesn’t seem to hurt… and that’s the closest place to dump them! :thumbsup: :lol:
It does!

We went to a maritime museum in Norway and boarded a old square rigged vessel. We felt very tall. As you can imagine we all started discussing how to fight and defend the ship. In the end we decided the men that sailed and battled with those ships were submariner crazy.

Absolutely...

There wasn't anywhere to go...so battles are ferocious... Ships of the line launching broadsides while rigging is touching the enemy ship is seriously balls of steel right there!

Thanks for the tip. I just looked and have it free on HBO. Gonna watch it tonight. Think I may have seen it once before, but that dont matter...

Guess I'm in as well

20220802_195514.jpg

1805 is the closeout of the 1st Barbary War. U.S. is still trying to figure out the whole "Navy" thing

I've worked 24 and 32 pound naval guns out of a shore battery. It's freaking cool

Last edited:
Absolutely...

There wasn't anywhere to go...so battles are ferocious... Ships of the line launching broadsides while rigging is touching the enemy ship is seriously balls of steel right there!
It freaked me out to be honest. I just couldn’t even imagine it. Every time I watch the master commander movie I remember being on that ship. Then imaging the medical triage after battle with resources and skill set available takes it to another level. Just seemed kind of like a knife fight, even the winner is bleeding. No thanks…..I think I would have dove overboard into mothers arms and swam to shore.

It freaked me out to be honest. I just couldn’t even imagine it. Every time I watch the master commander movie I remember being on that ship. Then imaging the medical triage after battle with resources and skill set available takes it to another level. Just seemed kind of like a knife fight, even the winner is bleeding. No thanks…..I think I would have dove overboard into mothers arms and swam to shore.
I struggled with Combat Lifesaver training. No way I could be a medic. I can butcher any animal just fine and play animal doctor, but dealing with combat wounds and screams and what not, hell no

You would have performed admirably and as ordered I'm sure

No way I could be a medic.
As the saying goes... this won't hurt me at all
:lol:

Sand the deck!

When I was a young teenager I picked up one of Forrester's Hornblower novels. Don't remember which one I started with. Read pretty much all of them over the next few years. Pretty vivid detail, although some have argued that O'Brien and others surpassed them and I'm not going to argue that. Little did I know that there was a movie with a youngish Alec Guiness loosely based on one of those books.

It's really hard for Hollywood to recreate a major naval battle - I think the choices with master and Commander were good.

I'd run across a few people who had been on the recreated HMS Rose when it was under sail for some reenactment up in the R.I. area. Super cool.

Sand the deck!

When I was a young teenager I picked up one of Forrester's Hornblower novels. Don't remember which one I started with. Read pretty much all of them over the next few years. Pretty vivid detail, although some have argued that O'Brien and others surpassed them and I'm not going to argue that. Little did I know that there was a movie with a youngish Alec Guiness loosely based on one of those books.

It's really hard for Hollywood to recreate a major naval battle - I think the choices with master and Commander were good.

I'd run across a few people who had been on the recreated HMS Rose when it was under sail for some reenactment up in the R.I. area. Super cool.
The best Hollywood naval battle movie was the original Midway… why? Cause they used actual footage from 1942

You would have performed admirably and as ordered I'm sure
I agree. Me thinks if you didn't jump ship before getting out to sea you'ld been a part of the team.
Or you'd be up in the masts with musket and swivel gun with the rest of the Marines!:poke:

O that’s funny right there.literally made me laugh out loud! Last time I heard that quote was right before I got slashed to have a drain inserted. Hah!
That was pretty close to the exchange between the docs and my dad after they drilled a drain in his head.

The best Hollywood naval battle movie was the original Midway… why? Cause they used actual footage from 1942
Yea forgot about that. I'm told Das Boot is quite good. Sorry I missed it when it was in the theaters.

But from the age of sail, obviously no film, a few photos and those from later, and hardly any ships left.

Yea forgot about that. I'm told Das Boot is quite good. Sorry I missed it when it was in the theaters.

But from the age of sail, obviously no film, a few photos and those from later, and hardly any ships left.

Far better naval historians than I note Master and Commander as being highly accurate

That was the best thing in either movie. The Battleship.
Ever seen the movie “Sink the Bismarck”? Great movie. Fairly accurate…

Spoiler Alert: don’t read farther

if you believe the British accounts and not the scientific stuff that has come out since that disproves the British actually sank the Bismarck (an expedition a few years back found that no British shells or tornadoes penetrated the Bismarcks hull. They found blast holes from the inside out and on the main water valves, basically the Germans scuttled her after her guns were knocked out. )

-
Back