Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Hi Folks, I'm back on line.

It was a long steamy night and power didn't come back on until about 4:30 this morning. When the house finally cooled down around 6 am, I finally fell asleep for a few hours.

I just finished up some stuff for work and figured I'd check in here before catching up on what I missed in the thread since last night...

It was a long steamy night and power didn't come back on until about 4:30 this morning. When the house finally cooled down around 6 am, I finally fell asleep for a few hours.

I just finished up some stuff for work and figured I'd check in here before catching up on what I missed in the thread since last night...

Glad your back up and running.

welcome back

Welcome back. Glad you're ok... :welcome:

who would have thought ....

had a customer with a late model ford car with a 5 speed.

Complaint is that it keeps popping out of 5th gear on the highway and no matter how hard you try to hold the shifter in 5th....it doesn't want it .

So I check the shifter linkage .....seems fine.....I check the motor mounts to make sure everything is aligned right, in case there is a linkage problem due to something out of alignment .....all checks out fine

so then I think maybe the clutch, pull the inspection plate and look in, definitely a used clutch but looks fine

finally I check the transmission fluid level and it's 3.5 quarts low (presumably from a axle seal leak)

fill it up with fluid and it runs totally fine now and is not popping out of gear anymore and is smoother shifting.

it's like a safety function??? trans knows there is a problem and tries to talk to you to tell you that SUM DING WONG !!!!!

It's coming back in a week for new axle seals

Complaint is that it keeps popping out of 5th gear on the highway and no matter how hard you try to hold the shifter in 5th....it doesn't want it .

So I check the shifter linkage .....seems fine.....I check the motor mounts to make sure everything is aligned right, in case there is a linkage problem due to something out of alignment .....all checks out fine

so then I think maybe the clutch, pull the inspection plate and look in, definitely a used clutch but looks fine

finally I check the transmission fluid level and it's 3.5 quarts low (presumably from a axle seal leak)

fill it up with fluid and it runs totally fine now and is not popping out of gear anymore and is smoother shifting.

it's like a safety function??? trans knows there is a problem and tries to talk to you to tell you that SUM DING WONG !!!!!

nicely done..

What year is the car? If it's the late model 5 speed with the Mazda tranny like my '96 F-150 had in it, being low on fluid causes 5th gear (overdrive) to pop out. It's because of how the hydraulics work in that manual tranny, it can't stay in that gear without a proper fluid level.

Last edited:
LOL, that's like when my ol'Dakota has a signal light out. It flashes twice as fast. Like your Trans discovery, it is not built in but just the way it acts when not all is perfect.

When I worked at a Benz body shop. A lot came in with the shifter locked if they got bumped hard enough. They had a weight mechanism in the shifter or something to disable the car from moving. I think it kept the engine from firing, long time ago. The mechanic techs would jump on those jobs. I know they pulled the shifters loose to fix it, but they kept it a secret from the body guys.lol

It's sooo nice to be sitting here in an nice cool house drinking an ice cold beer. Last night without power about wore me out.

It's sooo nice to be sitting here in an nice cool house drinking an ice cold beer. Last night without power about wore me out.
Nice. I never needed AC in my house because it WAS always so cool. No longer, AC is going in a soon as my solar is running.

Glad you got some normalcy back. And a cold beer sounds kinda nice. I'll join you with a nice bourbon on the rocks...

Wow guys and gals it actually brought tears to me. The second annual the lift is up day is at my house the week before Carlise from now on unless some one else wants to do it! Thanks like you would not believe. I know who did it if they want to admit it go for it. Thanks a lot my Kleenex bill is up this month!
DSC00787.JPG
DSC00788.JPG

DSC00789.JPG

-
Back