Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
He said he is willing to take the loss on the install and removal, but they said that I would have to pay for that qualified contractor.. That wasnt part of the contract.. I should be able to bill against what I owe them, if they cant do the work, is what I think.
do you have anything itemized of what they charged you todo the stone. They should leave it as if it was never started an refund that money.

Correct. But to get the house finished and I have to hire someone else. I should be able to deduct that from what I owe them also.
Maybe I’m not being clear, you shouldn’t owe them anything after they remove the stone and put it back to the way it was. Then the slate is clean and you can find a new contractor.

do you have anything itemized of what they charged you todo the stone. They should leave it as if it was never started an refund that money.

Yes, but thats another thing.. They totally messed up the bid on all of our upgrades. The stone work they only bid at $1400, adding shakes to the peak of the garage $400. The stone work should of cost $5500 and the shakes about $1400. When we were getting ready to sign the contract, we questioned the guy and he assured us it was correct. I asked him to double check his numbers and he said this is why I have people in the office check my bids, " so I dont mess them up." So we signed.. Thinking thats a hell of a deal. Which it was.

I had someone that knows how to install this stone come out and he bid installing the stone only at $4800.

As for itemized, I have no idea what the deduction was for the siding not being installed where the stone work was. Only a installed price of the stone..

Maybe I’m not being clear, you shouldn’t owe them anything after they remove the stone and put it back to the way it was. Then the slate is clean and you can find a new contractor.
I understand that part, and he would not charge us anything. However we signed a contract with them to install the stone for $X and if they cant do that and I have to find someone else who is going to charge me more, I should be able to deduct that off of their bid since they could not fulfill their contract.

There is also the whole other part of this with the amount of work I had to do on my own to put the house back to the way it was when they got here. I have about 40 hours of work into fixing there mistakes, which I have documented.

Yes, but thats another thing.. They totally messed up the bid on all of our upgrades. The stone work they only bid at $1400, adding shakes to the peak of the garage $400. The stone work should of cost $5500 and the shakes about $1400. When we were getting ready to sign the contract, we questioned the guy and he assured us it was correct. I asked him to double check his numbers and he said this is why I have people in the office check my bids, " so I dont mess them up." So we signed.. Thinking thats a hell of a deal. Which it was.

I had someone that knows how to install this stone come out and he bid installing the stone only at $4800.

As for itemized, I have no idea what the deduction was for the siding not being installed where the stone work was. Only a installed price of the stone..
Fine, they get paid their contracted price for work installed properly and they eat the rest while restoring the unsatisfactory work back the way it was. Period.

You are dealing with a incompetent contractor. They only get paid for what they did right per the contract and eat the cost of putting the improper work back to where they started.

Stop being a slave to the contract and negotiate your deal forward out of this mess.

Show him all the 8X10 color glossy photos with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on back of each one.....

Just because I really like it...

33DD161F-BDAD-4385-B933-8DBEF1077946.jpeg

Fine, they get paid their contracted price for work installed properly and they eat the rest while restoring the unsatisfactory work back the way it was. Period.

You are dealing with a incompetent contractor. They only get paid for what they did right per the contract and eat the cost of putting the improper work back to where they started.

Stop being a slave to the contract and negotiate your deal forward out of this mess.

Maybe Im not being clear, but that is exactly what Im trying to explain. If they were too put it back the way it was, I would need the siding (or cost of the siding) refunded to me. They eat everything they have done and must remove the stone back to a clean slate. The problem is they bid the work so incorrectly and cheap $1400, that its going to cost me more $4800 to hire another contractor, hence they cant fulfill the contract and I should be able to deduct that from the remainder that I owe them. Hence trying to negotiate forward from here, sorry if I cant explain it well.

Maybe Im not being clear, but that is exactly what Im trying to explain. If they were too put it back the way it was, I would need the siding (or cost of the siding) refunded to me. They eat everything they have done and must remove the stone back to a clean slate. The problem is they bid the work so incorrectly and cheap $1400, that its going to cost me more $4800 to hire another contractor, hence they cant fulfill the contract and I should be able to deduct that from the remainder that I owe them. Hence trying to negotiate forward from here, sorry if I cant explain it well.
You can call me if you want to talk through it. Do you still have my number?

Update on the stone work situation..

Finally got a phone call from a person at this company that they want to meet in person to discuss the failed work. So discussing what was wrong with it, he proceeds to tell me that its a simple fix and I started laughing. I told him that my job entails me to deal with large projects and contractors all day long and that I know enough to be dangerous to him. So he proceeds to question my knowledge and belittle me, only for me to fire back as quick as he can talk with the correct answers to his problem. He is getting more and more defensive and starts yelling at me about me questioning there crappy work. So I fire back at him how he worked for me and I have every right to be pissed off.

He calmed down a little but kept questioning my knowledge with his so called knowledge. He stated that he has been doing this work for 7 years, so I said, "Thats nice. I have 19 years of this experience and your company installed this wrong. I told you I know enough to be dangerous". Never leading on with really what I know.

He finally calmed down when he knew I was not going to back down, and hold them accountable and not accept any of their BS. He told me that he doesnt even know why his company was installing the stone. They dont do stone work, only roofs and siding. I mentioned that was never told to us, otherwise we would of had someone that knew what they were doing install it. He said he is willing to tear it off and wrap the house and take the loss but not reinstall the stone, if it costs to much money, to do it right. We signed a contract for them to install the stone, my thought is they have to hire someone and eat the loss. So as of now we are meeting Monday morning at my house, where his only option in my opinion is to remove the stone and reinstall it.

Thoughts on if they walk?

I don’t think you can trust them to get it right...ever. Get them to tear off the stone and wrap the house while refunding your money. Then get a qualified contractor to do the stone.

He said he is willing to take the loss on the install and removal, but they said that I would have to pay for that qualified contractor.. That wasnt part of the contract.. I should be able to bill against what I owe them, if they cant do the work, is what I think.

I'm gonna make this very simple. CALL AND TALK TO A LAWYER BEFORE AGREEING TO ANYTHING!!!

100-150 bucks for the advise is well worth it. Doesn't mean you're suing, just making sure what your legal options are. Here in Indiana, if a contractor does something wrong, they must pay to have it done correctly. That's the law.

Just because I really like it...

View attachment 1715255850
There it is. Except like a dark copper colour. The sport fury i had,the grille was changed to get rid of the faulty hide-aways.
I bet those parts were still in the shed until last year when they sold and scrapped everything.
I tried to get a shot at shopping around,but fell on deaf ears.

That sounds like a fun little hot rod dirt bike :steering:Save a few pounds over the DT250 and make more power :thumbsup:. Did the melted piston scene in the KT100 go kart screamin' at 15K to just a whistle and coasting :BangHead: Base gasket on the cylinder fleed the scene.

It is a fun little monster, it uses mostly (modified) Blaster Big Bore & Stroker parts, since the old DT125/175 Engine was actually the basis for the design of the older Air Cooled Blasters. On the plus side, that makes future overhauls pretty much all off the shelf parts (unless it needs a crank or a case half, those had to “touched up” to fit everything together properly)

Looks stock too, so she’s a sleeper (got a nasty growl to her though, kinda tells people it’s not stock)

I weigh 115, so it’s like strapping a jet engine to a skateboard.

FE9D96AE-0672-46C7-A2C4-B4C88472A81D.jpeg

It is a fun little monster, it uses mostly (modified) Blaster Big Bore & Stroker parts, since the old DT125/175 Engine was actually the basis for the design of the older Air Cooled Blasters. On the plus side, that makes future overhauls pretty much all off the shelf parts (unless it needs a crank or a case half, those had to “touched up” to fit everything together properly)

Looks stock too, so she’s a sleeper (got a nasty growl to her though, kinda tells people it’s not stock)

I weigh 115, so it’s like strapping a jet engine to a skateboard.

View attachment 1715255863

Ahh . The early monoshock model. Nice lookin' hot rod. We were all so skeptical of that design when they were introduced. Little did we know :rofl:

I doubt they would be liable for anything above The $1400 that you paid for the work according to the contract. A judge would probably look at it like you tried to buy something cheap at a flea market and wanted a refund of a new value cause it didn't work

Ahh . The early monoshock model. Nice lookin' hot rod. We were all so skeptical of that design when they were introduced. Little did we know :rofl:

Street legal too. I’m a big fan of the vintage Enduros.

One of my over the winter projects is to finish the Resto-Mod on my 1971 Suzuki TS250 Savage enduro (or as I call her, Leg Breaker. That engine is a beast that likes to kick you back)

You learn that sweet spot on the compression stroke real fast :rofl:

No joke there. There’s a permanent scar on my kicking leg from where the DT bit me. She kicked back, knocked my foot off the pad and my foot kep traveling down, at the same time that the kicker was still traveling up.

The foot peg shredded one side of my leg and the kicker took care of the other side of the leg. I walked with a limp for about a week.

A friend of mine bought a basket case BSA 500 single for $25 early 60s vintage. After we got that morphidite British Wentworth POS put together, the moment of truth. Gassed it up gave it a little tickle, he jumped on the kick starter and literally threw him over the bars when it sneezed back. We push started it until we figured out those extra levers, compression release and ignition advance :rofl:

My TS250 Savage, aka Leg Breaker.

She sounds pretty mean for 2 Stroke that’s almost 50 years old, that was last registered and ran in 1981.

I bought her about 5 years ago for $200. There was a pair (a ‘71 and a ‘72) for sale at a second hand shop and they wanted $300 for both or $200 each. I only had enough money for one bike, so I picked the one that fired up on the first kick (the ‘71)

My dad lived down the street from the second hand shop, so I rode it to his house (just as someone was pulling in to buy both of the TS250’s)

It took me a few years to find all of the parts for her, but now I’ve got brand new and NOS everything for her and I’m hoping to put it together over the winter.

-
Back