Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I went to Hooters last night to get my free birthday wings... :)

Their wings have gotten smaller... :( :wtf:

My local bar hang out has much bigger wings than theirs and half the price... The sauce tastes similar, so no more Hooters wings for me... :icon_fU:

This corporate cost cutting and making things smaller is pissing me off... :mad:
What do you mean the Hooters were smaller? I'd be pissed too lol!

Good morning!

I was told by a rep that the pads are more aggresive now. By the time the pads are shot the rotors are too thin to be cut. Also a lot of times the rotors are warped and cutting them thinner is just going to make it happen again faster.

We have a badass procut machine at work that cuts the rotors on the vehicle (hasn't been used since I cut the rotors on my Dart years ago)

83425e7e-1e89-42cb-bde6-9bfb3f5fad12-jpeg.jpg

Yeah the pads and shoes are a hard semi mettalic now. Had a long conversation with Craig at @mobileparts on this old drums and rotors you want to use old pads/shoes basically.

Good morning!

I was told by a rep that the pads are more aggresive now. By the time the pads are shot the rotors are too thin to be cut. Also a lot of times the rotors are warped and cutting them thinner is just going to make it happen again faster.

We have a badass procut machine at work that cuts the rotors on the vehicle (hasn't been used since I cut the rotors on my Dart years ago)

View attachment 1716001246
That's a crazy machine, never seen one. Does it pack the wheel bearings too lol!

Quick drive by. Off to do yet another military honors funeral. Getting to be too dang many of these this year.

Should be above 50F by 10. S'posed to get near 70. Want to do some garage clean-up and most the yard sale stuff is right where I left it. Think I will just drag it out a few feet further and put the sign up again...

Should be above 50F by 10. S'posed to get near 70. Want to do some garage clean-up and most the yard sale stuff is right where I left it. Think I will just drag it out a few feet further and put the sign up again...

We won't even see 70 today here in sunny SoCal :lol:

Morning all on my second cup of coffee so my brain is now on.
Been sitting in the garage looking at my Scamp and thinking, and most of the time me thinking is a bad idea. lol
Had a brain fart and think I'm going to add a few things to my car like a Frodie hood scoop ( that would be me making my own)
A cover for the wiper motor and maybe more but still in the thinking stage.

Good morning!

View attachment 1716001246
That certainly enters into it. Shitty organic pads went the way of the dodo and we have pads now that allow for better friction and cooling with less surface area. But also modern cars are cast with less steel. It wasn't uncommon a few decades ago for the difference between nominal thickness on a brake rotor and the machine to spec to be .090.
Now days many are .030 from nominal to discard.(hell its kind of tough to even come up with a spec book it seems these days)
This isn't all bad it reduces unsprung weight and contributes to better ride and handling characteristics of modern cars.
Now we also have a problem that brake rotors now days are built of an inferior metallurgy. The engineers may spec out a specific alloy but by the time the rotors are cast in a foreign "factory" they are a hodgepodge of recycled junk with no real metallurgy.
Anyone who has ever cast their own bullets can attest to the dramatic effects alloying metals can have.
You can watch the process on youtube
I haven't seen one of those on car lathes in forever. When I started wrenching those were supposed to be taking the industry by storm. They would allow for complete elimination of runout compensating for uneven mounting surfaces and all manner of imperfections. But they never panned out around here. Mostly because we could pull a brake rotor and have it machined on the old ammco faster than we could set up the on car lathe.

In a modern shop a brake lathe is almost useless although I have turned a bunch of flywheels and machined many other things that the machine was never intended for. I even once used a brake lathe to cut wheels apart and weld back together a wider steel wheel.

Last edited:
That certainly enters into it. Shitty organic pads went the way of the dodo and we have pads now that allow for better friction and cooling with less surface area. But also modern cars are cast with less steel. It wasn't uncommon a few cascades ago for the difference between nominal thickness on a brake rotor and the machine to spec to be .090.
Now days many are .030 from nominal to discard.(hell its kind of tough to even come up with a spec book it seems these days)
This isn't all bad it reduces unsprung weight and contributes to better ride and handling characteristics of modern cars.
Now we also have a problem that brake rotors now days are built of an inferior metallurgy. The engineers may spec out a specific alloy but by the time the rotors are cast in a foreign "factory" they are a hodgepodge of recycled junk with no real metallurgy.
Anyone who has ever cast their own bullets can attest to the dramatic effects alloying metals can have.
You can watch the process on youtube
I haven't seen one of those on car lathes in forever. When I started wrenching those were supposed to be taking the industry by storm. They would allow for complete elimination of runout compensating for uneven mounting surfaces and all manner of imperfections. But they never panned out around here. Mostly because we could pull a brake rotor and have it machined on the old ammco faster than we could set up the on car lathe.

In a modern shop a brake lathe is almost useless although I have turned a bunch of flywheels and machined many other things that the machine was never intended for. I even once used a brake lathe to cut wheels apart and weld back together a wider steel wheel.

Good info. Thanks

Recycled material makes for poor quality cast iron. A auto salvage yard north of here also had a line up of 100 old tractors from the 20's on. John Deere is in town and they bought them all. Good old single use cast iron.

-
Back