Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I bet them grape farmers are freaked out this mornin' :eek: I didn't see it last night, but this morning has a whole buncha the grape farmin' areas covered with a FROST advisory. Them vines should be just startin' to bud out. Many of the vineyards round here vacant or the vines are just pushed up in piles. They have reached the end of their productive lifespan and the farmers rip 'em out of the ground.

Eric it wouldn't have stopped that sort of failure but it's a good idea to put a surge protector on it as control boards go poof sometimes with power surges, good luck!
The chest freezer looks like it became partially unplugged. The lid may have hit the plug as it plugs in above it on the floor joist. Human error here. As for the furnace blower, not sure the issue with it yet. Thanks though Rich

I wondered why You Tube TV wasn't working this morning. The internet is just barely working. :mob::mob:
1714999172011.png

I bet them grape farmers are freaked out this mornin' :eek: I didn't see it last night, but this morning has a whole buncha the grape farmin' areas covered with a FROST advisory. Them vines should be just startin' to bud out. Many of the vineyards round here vacant or the vines are just pushed up in piles. They have reached the end of their productive lifespan and the farmers rip 'em out of the ground.
I grew up near a large orchard. The owner collected old tires and when there was a frosty night/morning he would call and we would go around lighting the tires. Couldn't do that today

I grew up near a large orchard. The owner collected old tires and when there was a frosty night/morning he would call and we would go around lighting the tires. Couldn't do that today
The orchards used smudge pots when I was a kid :lol: They seem to have developed other methods up here now, some use wind machines, some turn on the rain birds because they prefer real ice to frost :realcrazy:. Guy I used to race with, his brother has a helicopter service, made good $$ during frost season over them grape vineyards :lol:

So, where to start. Good Morning Everyone I guess. It was down to 63 in the house. Checked, the blower on the furnace is super hot and stuck. I got it turning but it wont light due to it being an issue. Grrrr. I will be just fine for a few weeks likely but will want the AC soon I suspect. And the deep freezer quit sometime while we were gone. Blood all over the floor. So everything that is in there is garbage. Only thing that bothers me in there was all the Alaska salmon. Dammit. Oh well, it will be just fine, just a shitty start to a day.
Did you stop by and visit Chris in Indiana on your way West?

No doubt! Our ISP sucks. THere are 2 companies installing fiber but they aren't completely operational yet. We could get faster service with a dish.

I was right there with you until the rural ISP received some federal grant dollars

Supposed to hit a speed boost on June 1st. Should double to 300 MBps with a $1.00 increase in monthly rate.

:popcorn:

So I had an interesting conversation with an individual this weekend with regard to pricing on firearms training. He was not a student and doubt he ever will be. For convenience sake a will call him “Dan” So he is inquiring about our training classes. Dan replies he is not going to waste an entire day on one as the cost is ridiculous. You can figure most of our day long classes are Priced at 150-200 dollars per 8 hours class. Dan says that is exorbitant so trying not to get into a heated debate I simply reply that we also do a lot of private lessons. Dan says that makes way more sense since he does not need 8 hrs of instruction, he has been Deer hunting his entire life. So Dan asks what would just a couple hours cost? I replied we typically charge fifty dollars an hour for a private lesson. I did not reveal that I very often do them for free if I think the individual is a good human being, or often I barter for everything from a home made apple pie to monthly gym membership. I am very flexible, but Dan was not striking me as someone decent at this point. He goes into a tirade of the cost, fifty dollars to learn how to pull a trigger etc etc. At that point I politely disengaged. My question is how on earth will folks pay 80-100 dollars an hour for a plumber, electrician, car mechanic and not believe learning how to defend themselves has equal value? Apologies coffee crew but I had to vent! Rant over.
Carry on

So I had an interesting conversation with an individual this weekend with regard to pricing on firearms training. He was not a student and doubt he ever will be. For convenience sake a will call him “Dan” So he is inquiring about our training classes. Dan replies he is not going to waste an entire day on one as the cost is ridiculous. You can figure most of our day long classes are Priced at 150-200 dollars per 8 hours class. Dan says that is exorbitant so trying not to get into a heated debate I simply reply that we also do a lot of private lessons. Dan says that makes way more sense since he does not need 8 hrs of instruction, he has been Deer hunting his entire life. So Dan asks what would just a couple hours cost? I replied we typically charge fifty dollars an hour for a private lesson. I did not reveal that I very often do them for free if I think the individual is a good human being, or often I barter for everything from a home made apple pie to monthly gym membership. I am very flexible, but Dan was not striking me as someone decent at this point. He goes into a tirade of the cost, fifty dollars to learn how to pull a trigger etc etc. At that point I politely disengaged. My question is how on earth will folks pay 80-100 dollars an hour for a plumber, electrician, car mechanic and not believe learning how to defend themselves has equal value? Apologies coffee crew but I had to vent! Rant over.
Carry on
Wanna hear a horror story. Dumbass NCo drives van full of soldiers in front of firing 155 mm guns…. Luckily no one killed

Carry on
It's all about value. He may pay $50 for a dinner at a restaurant and get up the next morning and poop it all out. The training to save his life (or others around him) is priceless. He just thinks he knows all he needs to know about the subject. His loss!

I was right there with you until the rural ISP received some federal grant dollars

Supposed to hit a speed boost on June 1st. Should double to 300 MBps with a $1.00 increase in monthly rate.

:popcorn:
All the rural areas here are getting Fiber now too. Federal monies paid out of state contractors to tear up everybody's yards while they bury/trench it in. Didn't fix anything on their way. My yard has been messed up for 2 years. Now local companies can use those lines and bug me 3-4 days a week about hooking up. I keep telling them after begging for the service, they destroyed sections of my property and refuse to fix it, now you want me to buy the service from you? F Off..

That reminds me. Yesterday being Drinko de Mayo and all the sky is usually filled with illegal fireworks and errant bullets, but it was very quiet. Either my ears have dropped in their efficiency more or the neighbors weren't in a noisy mood. :rolleyes:

All the rural areas here are getting Fiber now too. Federal monies paid out of state contractors to tear up everybody's yards while they bury/trench it in. Didn't fix anything on their way. My yard has been messed up for 2 years. Now local companies can use those lines and bug me 3-4 days a week about hooking up. I keep telling them after begging for the service, they destroyed sections of my property and refuse to fix it, now you want me to buy the service from you? F Off..
Yikes..

Yeah, this was a local shop. Very nice folks. I'd go out and chat with the workers in each phase.

Carry on

I can't count the number of rounds and range time I've had... always a value to get some instructor time.

I was either in Elementary or Jr High when I took hunter safety. I do know that the class was in part of the elementary school I attended. End of the class "Wow! Today I am somebody! I can get a hunting license now!" :lol:

Yikes..

Yeah, this was a local shop. Very nice folks. I'd go out and chat with the workers in each phase.
I talked with these folks too. Then they left it all f'd up. So when the local service company came to the house 100 times trying to sell me something, I repeatedly tell them the issues I have and they just go down the same road talking about Federal funds paying the cheapest people possible - our crew would never do that, they are the best. The bore crew that messed it all up was from Texas.

Carry on
Did you ask him what he needed firearm training in the first place if he is such an accomplished hunter? I mean, he hunted deer his whole life. Maybe next time ask him for a fee to teach you better. Maybe his prices are better than yours.

I talked with these folks too. Then they left it all f'd up. So when the local service company came to the house 100 times trying to sell me something, I repeatedly tell them the issues I have and they just go down the same road talking about Federal funds paying the cheapest people possible - our crew would never do that, they are the best. The bore crew that messed it all up was from Texas.
We have one private company and the other is the city forming a Fiber Utility. We are waiting for the city utility to get up and running. At least there's someone to talk to downtown if something doesn't work.

-
Back