stuck dipstick!

-

Gerry Holmes

Reaction score
i have a puzzling problem. i want to change the o-ring on the dipstick tube of my 727, but iv'e undone the bolt into the 383 block that hold the dipstick retaining bracket, and the dipstick wobbles around, but no amount of pulling will remove it. there are no other bolts holding it, it must be the existing o-ring in a groove that's stubborn, any ideas? thanks Gerry

If it wobbles around I wouldn't think the O-ring is holding it. Is it still in the car or out? If it's in the car it may be hitting the floor pan. I've had to drop the trans. mount and let it down some to get them out.

This happens, if you have a wood block, or a dead blow, give a 'love tap' to the curve while some one pulls on it.

.................if its a 68 or older it will have a bolt holding it into the case right at the base where it goes into the case...............kim........

thanks for the quick replies guys. the 383 727 combo i put in was from a 1970 roadrunner, so the bracket from the dipstick tube to the bellhousing was the only bolt retaining it, i was used to the older ones with the bolt at the base so it was the first thing i had checked. so i followed your advise and cut a short piece of wood 1x2 and gave it a whack, that did it, now i don't have to sell the car. (that was the threat that i used when i was originally cursing the car out) thanks again guys!

thanks for the quick replies guys. the 383 727 combo i put in was from a 1970 roadrunner, so the bracket from the dipstick tube to the bellhousing was the only bolt retaining it, i was used to the older ones with the bolt at the base so it was the first thing i had checked. so i followed your advise and cut a short piece of wood 1x2 and gave it a whack, that did it, now i don't have to sell the car. (that was the threat that i used when i was originally cursing the car out) thanks again guys!

You mean I'm not the only one that does that?:salut:

You mean I'm not the only one that does that?:salut:

I'm sure your not. When I was a kid I had a nasty temper. Don't remember why I did it now but I remember getting mad at a chevy I had and kicked the fender in. I was wearing steel toe boots so it made it pretty easy.:D

hey a few years back i had a portable phone that was causing me grief and that had just lost a long distance call, that was the last straw! i was working on my motorhome at the time, so i placed the phone under the dual wheels and drove over it, you would not believe the emotional release, hell i've since done a toaster,vcr, electric shaver and a (believe it or not!) micowave! definately helps to keep one's sanity!

I have a 2 acre pond in my front yard, when something doesn't work or a wrench slips and I bust a knuckle in to the pond it goes! As soon as it leaves my hand the relief is instant! I have friends that want the salvage rights to my pond when I die.

-
Back